IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Power Folding Mirrors, Finally

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-18, 08:53 AM
chriso5573
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Power Folding Mirrors, Finally

Hello everyone, I finally managed to find most of the parts to pull the trigger on installing power folding mirrors on my 2012 ISF. Below are pictures and a rough description of how to swap out the wiring etc. I would appreciate any help or suggestions anyone might have in helping me identify why the mirror I have installed so far won't fold and won't auto tilt. Instead, the mirror glass just moves inwards and doesnt stop unless you use switch to move it in any direction and select the switch between L & R. I'm using the old switch for now and I'll have to repin the wires to adjust the mirrors. I'm hoping it just wants the other mirror installed before it will work.

You also need the ECU for the mirrors that supports the folding mirrors. Attached below is a picture, you need one on each door and it replaces the blue box by the speaker in US spec models. Huge thanks to ilv1004s for selling me the set of power folding mirrors. The rest of the parts and info I was able to grab from a nice gentleman in the sales department in a European Lexus dealership where I saw they had a euro spec ISF for sale.

Make sure you pull the wire out from the car and disconnect between the door and the frame. It is almost impossible to do it inside the car.

The mod so far has cost me just over $1,000 including mirrors and all and have yet to buy the insert for the bezel where the mirror switch goes. I'll update once I have part number for that as well.
Attached Thumbnails Power Folding Mirrors, Finally-1.jpg   Power Folding Mirrors, Finally-2.jpg   Power Folding Mirrors, Finally-3.jpg   Power Folding Mirrors, Finally-4.jpg   Power Folding Mirrors, Finally-5.jpg  

Power Folding Mirrors, Finally-6.jpg   Power Folding Mirrors, Finally-7.jpg   Power Folding Mirrors, Finally-screen-shot-2018-02-25-at-1.26.12-pm.png   Power Folding Mirrors, Finally-screen-shot-2018-02-25-at-1.26.24-pm.png  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
parts.pdf (375.7 KB, 302 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by chriso5573:
HyunR (03-01-18), imp0rted1 (03-01-18)
Old 03-01-18, 09:56 AM
chriso5573
Driver

Here is a picture of the ECU needed with the part number on it.
Attached Thumbnails Power Folding Mirrors, Finally-3a34076a-4c51-4d15-9297-33df9383f00e.jpeg  
Old 03-01-18, 11:54 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Kilobuck folding mirrors, party of one? Your table is ready...
Old 03-02-18, 06:56 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have always liked power folding mirrors since I've gotten used to them on my previous cars, but 1k is pretty pricey!
Old 03-02-18, 12:55 PM
glerink
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

it actually sounds like a bargain considering all that needs to be done and parts that need to be purchased, looking forward to see the finish product which I probably will never do lol but awesome project
Old 03-03-18, 02:48 PM
chriso5573
Driver

Yes, 1k was a bargain considering both mirrors cost 1k by themselves, let alone the ecus and other parts involved. I went to the Lexus dealer by my work yesterday and they were nice enough to let me in the back to talk to a tech for a while. He pulled up the wiring diagram and the mirror ECUs share power apparently so I think most of my issues are caused by having only one power folding ecu and the other one still being normal. I honestly just wanted to install the convex European mirror lenses like the ones I had on my IS250. This way I got both the EU convex glass and the folding mirrors. I'll update everyone once I install the parts on my passenger side and figure out how to get a new bezel to hold the switch.
Old 08-12-18, 07:54 PM
andy08isf
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chriso5573
Yes, 1k was a bargain considering both mirrors cost 1k by themselves, let alone the ecus and other parts involved. I went to the Lexus dealer by my work yesterday and they were nice enough to let me in the back to talk to a tech for a while. He pulled up the wiring diagram and the mirror ECUs share power apparently so I think most of my issues are caused by having only one power folding ecu and the other one still being normal. I honestly just wanted to install the convex European mirror lenses like the ones I had on my IS250. This way I got both the EU convex glass and the folding mirrors. I'll update everyone once I install the parts on my passenger side and figure out how to get a new bezel to hold the switch.
Were you able to complete this install? I've been wanting to do this and just came across this thread.
Old 08-12-18, 08:08 PM
chriso5573
Driver

I've been driving around with it halfway done for months since I just started another job and really haven't had the time. I plan to complete it within the next 2-3 months. Since the mirrors were RHD I'll just have an off duty toyota technician repin some of the wires in the switch. I'm pretty sure it will work once the switch end of the harness is re-pinned. Do yourself a favor and just get the LHD mirrors so you don't have to deal with the issues I've had. I'll certainly be sure to update you once I get it working
Old 08-13-18, 07:45 AM
andy08isf
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chriso5573
I've been driving around with it halfway done for months since I just started another job and really haven't had the time. I plan to complete it within the next 2-3 months. Since the mirrors were RHD I'll just have an off duty toyota technician repin some of the wires in the switch. I'm pretty sure it will work once the switch end of the harness is re-pinned. Do yourself a favor and just get the LHD mirrors so you don't have to deal with the issues I've had. I'll certainly be sure to update you once I get it working
Thanks for the update. Hopefully you get it working correctly. I've been searching for the folding & tilt side mirrors for the IS that will fit my 2008 ISF but I haven't been able to find any. Do you happen to know which ones I need?
Old 08-13-18, 01:06 PM
GaaraOTS
Driver

This is a EU only feature right? How are you going to find a LH drivers bezel with the CF?
Old 08-15-18, 12:45 PM
GaaraOTS
Driver

Sent you a PM
Old 08-15-18, 02:56 PM
Kubbz
Driver School Candidate

Default Did you upgrade your door speakers?

I noticed in the pic with your door panel removed, the main speaker looks different. Did you upgrade it? If so, what speaker and how does it sound?
Old 04-23-19, 10:58 AM
chriso5573
Driver

Hello everyone, wanted to update everyone on my progress with this project and share all the information that has been shared with me. So for the update... I removed my EU spec mirrors because the blind spot on the passenger side was pretty bad and looked funny. I put my OEM mirrors back on for now. To be honest though, with house work and my other projects I think I may be willing to sell all the equipment I have to complete this mod if anyone is interested.

Here's the wiring diagram and info GaaraOTS sent me.
Hey bud, here's a copy of the wiring diagram for the folding mirrors, I couldn't find a diagram for the memory option.
It looks like you will have to find a set of mirrors with a extra pair of wires, one should be green and the other i'm not sure.
You will need to take the wiring from the power folding switch terminals, (Pinouts #9 and #10) and run a wire to both the left and right sides. The wire will split and go to its respective terminal on the mirror on each side. There should already be a ground run out of the switch so you shouldn't have to worry about that part. It will be a wire with white and black stripes.

Old 04-23-19, 11:04 AM
chriso5573
Driver

from Elvino29
Im sorry to hear that I my car is actually a Base model and I was able to get the door harnesses for really cheap and one of the modules for a reasonable price i planned on reusing the original mount positioning from my LHD mirrors and glass inserts to avoid the whole wrong positioning I was able to get my hands on the PDF file for the po40 module for the IS 250 I have already added the switch to my door trim with the fold in and out button I wanted to go with a OEM setup but It looks like the po40 might be better since I still need to buy another mirror module for the passenger door.
thanks for your help!
-Elvin

Hi Chriso,
Just to follow up on how my project has been I have figured out that I did not need the modules or door harnesses that you mentioned in your form. I used some adhesive with a dremel to secure my power folding switch to my master switch.
I de pinned the RHD mirror and removed the motor and then removed the spring from my LHD mirror housing and added the motor to that one to solve the positioning issue. I hope this helps you out Wish I had pictures but I haven't completed my set up yet as im waiting for a motor for my passenger side mirror as the set i had bought the motor was dead on that mirror!

-Elvin

Ive finally finished my retrofit for the mirrors ive taken some pictures but the install was straight forward so you're taking the motor out and just transferring it to your LHD housing and you are also taking the wire harness in the RHD mirror and putting it into the LHD housing.
You're gonna leave the red and white wire harness alone you won't need to transfer that harness to the LHD housing as it will already have it. you're basically removing the manual fold spring out of the mirror housing and replacing it with the power folding motor.
with these steps you can keep the proper viewing angles and have a OEM look. I was using the RHD mirror lenses with the blind spot but I went back to the original LHD lenses

Toyota Lexus Rear Power View Folding Mirror Switch Control 84872-52040
I bought this switch off ebay for roughly $20 then used a Dremel and some strong urethane on the switch housing to keep it in place.

Hope this helps out!
See pictures from his completed build

below.