GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Adding wide view and sideview camera support

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-18, 10:51 PM
ObsidianBl
Advanced

Received 194 Likes on 128 Posts
Lightbulb Adding wide view and sideview camera support

Acrad's mod of adding the driver support computer module opens up the possibility of adding wide-view and sideview camera support.
Here is a youtube clip showing the functions of the wide/sideview camera on a 2016
. We are missing the camera button on the steering wheel, but that could possibly be substituted with another button that can fit into the blanks near the traction control panel.

On the prado 150 forum, there is an individual named "Artie" who added a front camera to his 2014 Prado. Here are his posts from his build thread. I tried to put these in chronological order.

Purchase of parts (Looks like he said he got the camera from Aliexpress. Not sure if it is OEM or a generic camera.)
Part 1 of his front camera mod
Wiring the camera and button
More wiring and a diagram
Wires again
Finished product

This is a separate thread with 69 pages of potential information. I haven't had a chance to go through all of this yet.

In a perfect world, I would hope that the camera wiring would be plug and play. The exception would be for the installation of the camera on the front grill and side mirror which could require drilling the plastic.

Does anyone have images of the back of the infotainment/navigation unit? Maybe there are video input jacks for the cameras?

Another thought... The US version only came with passenger side view. Does the driver support computer module for the rest of the world support driver side camera view along with passenger side?

Edit:
The 5th gen 4runners had a member develop wire harnesses to view the backup camera full time and to add a front camera.
Developer's website https://www.anytimebackupcamera.com

Amazon has this camera button that could fit into the blanks.
Generic Camera button Generic Camera button

4Runner posts
Front Camera Inquiry
BriGuyDIY - Plug and Play Rear Camera Override Dongle

Last edited by ObsidianBl; 02-24-18 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Added 4runner information
The following users liked this post:
hzhao (02-25-18)
Old 02-25-18, 05:16 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 979 Likes on 566 Posts

It does not look like the OEM camera, just an add-on. For OEM, the switch should be a trigger type switch, which will be able to cycle through the wide front and right side view, both sides front view, and both sides rear view.combined with MTS, you also have the option to display the front view with track path line to guide you through the trend. Judging from the successful mod to enable MTS, I am pretty sure the connectors and harness for side cameras should be exists. By replacing mirror assembly with the camera should be able to enable the camera. Not sure if the harness for OEM front camera is available with the GX without Drive support package. As far as the camera view switch, it has to be come from the steering wheel wire harness, if the pin out can be located, it should be able to rewire it to a dash mountable trigger type switch to serve the function.

Last edited by hzhao; 02-25-18 at 06:05 AM.
Lwboodro (03-24-22)
Old 02-25-18, 05:18 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Received 3,584 Likes on 2,346 Posts

I've asked GXOverland on IH8Mud if he can get me some pictures of camera hooks up behind the grille.

He has that fully loaded 2010 from Canada.

I'm gonna look at mine this morning to see if there is any indication factory harness is there. Original Ru Lexus thread seemed to indicate it might be. I think it is a 4 pin connector. Stock camera for '10-'13 looks like this

[10-13]
86790-60171

[14+]
86790-60200

Retrofitting front grill or new purchase might be needed for front camera.

'14+ Camera Grille
https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...lle-5310160b30

'14+ Non-Camera Grille
https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...lle-5310160850

'10-'13 Camera Grille
https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...lle-5311160880

'10-'13 Non-Camera Grille
https://www.mylparts.com/oem-parts/l...lle-5311160870

'14+
A Driver side camera does show up in parts. They are selling as part of a complete mirror

'10-'13 - Left Camera

'14+ Front Camera

Last edited by Acrad; 02-25-18 at 05:40 AM.
Old 02-25-18, 05:26 AM
hzhao
Racer

I did find the '14 camera is about the same shape (could be exactly the same) as '10-'13, just a part number revision. Replace grill just for the camera will definitely an no go. However, since camera itself is an standard alone part, there should be able to find a way to fit into existing grill with some simple creativity. I guess the key is to have the OEM harness available. In my opinion, side view cameras offer more practical value then front one, especially in parking situation, since parking assist sensors has take care of the front clearance for the most of part.
Old 02-25-18, 05:30 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

True... I think value of front would be more for off-road.. maybe scenario climbing hill and seeing what is on the other side before cresting.

Need to see if these side cameras appear to be the same ones uses on Prados. Maybe sold as a separate part? Although I think we need to try as 3rd party as possible as this could turn into an expensive mod quickly with just stock parts.
Old 02-25-18, 05:37 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

On your LX how are the cameras mounted in the mirror? Are they more toward the outside? I know I've seen a pic at some point of the right side camera. Still looking..

Originally Posted by hzhao
I did find the '14 camera is about the same shape (could be exactly the same) as '10-'13, just a part number revision. Replace grill just for the camera will definitely an no go. However, since camera itself is an standard alone part, there should be able to find a way to fit into existing grill with some simple creativity. I guess the key is to have the OEM harness available. In my opinion, side view cameras offer more practical value then front one, especially in parking situation, since parking assist sensors has take care of the front clearance for the most of part.
Old 02-25-18, 06:12 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
On your LX how are the cameras mounted in the mirror? Are they more toward the outside? I know I've seen a pic at some point of the right side camera. Still looking..
From what I have learned, the physical mirror (with or without camera) are the same for both LX and GX, only difference was the lower part of the housing, on LX is shining piano black as GX were non-shining molding plastic black.
Old 02-25-18, 06:20 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I was looking at some pics of that Canadian GX in Victoria and noticed the driver mirror looked like it had a camera on it. Not sure if all '14+ have complete surround cameras but I see the '18 Executive model does. Their Technology trim has the same system as ours. It probably just needs the camera plugged in to function.

https://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/automo...specifications

Attached Files
Old 02-25-18, 06:22 AM
hzhao
Racer

I agree, with OEM sideview camera option, it will be more cost. you will need to replace at least lower housing and camera (if those can be ordered separate. However, with third party option, there will be involve of drill the hole to mount the camera, and deal with the imaging area and adjusted the angle to get the proper image. I guess unless using OEM parts, the plug and play won't be happening.
Old 02-25-18, 06:29 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

I need to check out some of the related Prado threads. No idea of camera protocols being used... hopefully not too proprietary or something that hasn't already been cracked. Also need to see if the Prado parts are interchangeable at all for this.
Old 02-25-18, 06:45 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

So these cameras are used for Lane Departure as well

Old 02-25-18, 07:37 AM
hzhao
Racer

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
So these cameras are used for Lane Departure as well

Correct. For GX Drive Support Package, the lane departure warning, didn't have the windshield mounted camera, rather utilize the mirror cameras to detect lane marks. Therefore, if you replace the mirror with camera, and and find the camera switch and lane departure switch pins out from steering wire harness, and install the trigger switch somehow, you got yourself few more options
Acrad (02-25-18)
Old 02-25-18, 07:46 AM
hzhao
Racer

Look at some of the Taobao list for the entire mirror assembly with camera, is listed for about $300 USD. I am going to check those vendors out if the listed items are legit. I had replaced passage side mirror on my '14 GX due to accident, and cost $1100 from lexus dealer (without camera). If those are legit items, $300 is not a bad deal. In general, car parts are much cheap in China compare to US, although the Car price is about 2 to 3 times compare in US.
Old 02-25-18, 10:18 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

Looks like front end camera wiring is there. One of the connectors looks like it is for the following radar cruise unit

There was a dummy plug the in radar units plug. The camera one was exposed. There appears to be significant wire slack as well as they are bound up.

Old 02-25-18, 10:50 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator

It would be easy to test if things are plug and play with cameras if we could find a cheap one that was compatible with existing plug. Trying to find wiring diagram for that 4 pin plug.

Quick Reply: Adding wide view and sideview camera support