Rear Quarter Panel Dent

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-18, 11:19 PM
romneezy
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Quarter Panel Dent

Hello CL,
I'm curious to see if anyone has had any luck doing any PDR on our rear quarter panels. I understand there is a double wall and access from behind is limited, but is the body shop the only answer to fixing dents on these areas?

Last edited by romneezy; 02-22-18 at 11:24 PM.
Old 02-23-18, 04:35 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Visit a PDR place and get a quote. That would be my first step. Let them worry about the access. Based on pictures I've seen, they can do some amazing stuff.
My car is actually schedule in a week to get 4 dents repaired (hopefully) from a rogue shopping cart.
It was apparently a brutal assault.

The creases are the iffy parts.
Old 02-23-18, 11:50 AM
sinister2c
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by romneezy
Hello CL,
I'm curious to see if anyone has had any luck doing any PDR on our rear quarter panels. I understand there is a double wall and access from behind is limited, but is the body shop the only answer to fixing dents on these areas?

Looks doable to me. paint is still good and the dent is right where the double wall starts. The will probably pull most of it with suction cup and access thru the trunk to finish. YouTube shows some amazing repairs.
Old 02-23-18, 01:26 PM
romneezy
8th Gear

Thanks guys. Asked almost every pdr place in the Bay. 90% would not touch it, simply because the crease was too sharp. Hopefully atomic silver is not too hard to match/blend.
Old 02-23-18, 01:35 PM
romneezy
8th Gear

Originally Posted by doodlebug
Visit a PDR place and get a quote. That would be my first step. Let them worry about the access. Based on pictures I've seen, they can do some amazing stuff.
My car is actually schedule in a week to get 4 dents repaired (hopefully) from a rogue shopping cart.
It was apparently a brutal assault.

The creases are the iffy parts.
Tell me about it! My car is a cart magnet as well
Old 02-28-18, 08:09 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts

Honestly why would you consider a paintless dent removal on that type of damage. There are very good PDR guys out there but that crease is not possible to remove without leaving any type of damage there. You are a lexus owner you should be ashamed on trying to get that pdr.
Old 03-01-18, 03:48 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryJG
Honestly why would you consider a paintless dent removal on that type of damage. There are very good PDR guys out there but that crease is not possible to remove without leaving any type of damage there. You are a lexus owner you should be ashamed on trying to get that pdr.
Why should he be ashamed of trying PDR?
What is your repair suggestion?
Old 03-01-18, 06:50 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

Ashamed? I would try to PDR that first before I take the car to the body shop. A panel replacement isn't cheap.
Old 03-01-18, 07:01 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Absolutely try PDR first...last thing I would want is the vehicle painted unnecessarily.
No one can match factory paint color and finish, no matter how good they are. Painting is an art and skill, not everyone can duplicate the finish that a robot can in the factory.
The good news is it looks like the paint didn't break, so rust won't be an issue at this time.
Old 03-01-18, 03:42 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

Sharp dents or creases in the center of large panels may be unrepairable due to metal having too much give. In this situation the metal is unable to be shaped back to its original profile. This primarily depends on whether or not there is sufficient bracing around the dent.
Truthfully creases are one of the most difficult to remove because it's like folding a piece of paper and then ironing the line out. If you thought sharp dings and dents were hard, then imagine trying to pin point a continuous deep pit.
Old 03-01-18, 05:24 PM
GaryJG
Lead Lap

He already said 90% of the PDR in his area wouldn't touch it. Even if someone will try, it will probably look bad.
Old 03-01-18, 07:29 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryJG
He already said 90% of the PDR in his area wouldn't touch it. Even if someone will try, it will probably look bad.
Hi Gary, this dent can be PDR but he needs a Professional and knowledge one, not the dumb one in the street, the last option is body, his dent will be like this

1, due to the complicate area of the dent, the PDR has to drill hole by his rear door where the rear passenger rest their arms.
2, this dent most PDR will say No because they sucks, the Pro one will ask to drill hole to guaranty 99% back to normal
3, the PDR you saw on Youtube or Ebay kits are the noob one that only help a little.
4, drill holes so they can access into that area with their Tools to push it out, the way they do is awesome i can sit and watch all day long.

Bodyshop option
1, they do have dent repair tools but their tool will screw up the paint, thus they pull it out by welding into the body and pulls
2, they will sand it down a bit and then applies body filler and sand it a bit to even out the rest
3, they primer it a bit and spray paint it, and then they applies the clear coat,
4, base on my Bodyshop experience, they will probably paint His whole corner and clear coat the panel from rear to front probably bumber and rear door too to make it match 99%

But i say this dent is PDR-able paint still good, but he needs to accept hole drilling to access into that area !
The following users liked this post:
MX73 (03-01-18)
Old 03-01-18, 07:38 PM
Drawblood
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Boiling water and a heat gun will pop that right out!! There's no crease or cracked paint, so you are good to go!
Old 03-01-18, 08:06 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Drawblood
Boiling water and a heat gun will pop that right out!! There's no crease or cracked paint, so you are good to go!
Boil water for doors or bumper , corner panel maybe harder check this out, he has to access to the area in order to get it out

This is BodyShop version

Old 03-01-18, 08:28 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350
Hi Gary, this dent can be PDR but he needs a Professional and knowledge one, not the dumb one in the street, the last option is body, his dent will be like this

1, due to the complicate area of the dent, the PDR has to drill hole by his rear door where the rear passenger rest their arms.
2, this dent most PDR will say No because they sucks, the Pro one will ask to drill hole to guaranty 99% back to normal
3, the PDR you saw on Youtube or Ebay kits are the noob one that only help a little.
4, drill holes so they can access into that area with their Tools to push it out, the way they do is awesome i can sit and watch all day long.

But i say this dent is PDR-able paint still good, but he needs to accept hole drilling to access into that area !
This.

A professional PDR will have to drill small holes but it will be in an inconspicuous area. This shouldn't affect resale value. Most people will think it's an access hole that came from the factory.

Quick Reply: Rear Quarter Panel Dent