GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Xenon HID headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-18, 11:56 PM
2JZandME
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xenon HID headlights

I've noticed my 2002 GS 300, the headlights are (Blue) Xenon HID but the running lights (Yellow). I'm open to aftermarket lights, but I'm going for a stock look. Anyone changes out those bulbs or entire headlight units to have them both be (Blue) Xenon HID lights.

Looking for a "How to" thread link

Wanna go from:

To:

Let me know guys
Old 02-22-18, 08:29 AM
dtwolf
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2JZandME
I've noticed my 2002 GS 300, the headlights are (Blue) Xenon HID but the running lights (Yellow). I'm open to aftermarket lights, but I'm going for a stock look. Anyone changes out those bulbs or entire headlight units to have them both be (Blue) Xenon HID lights.

Looking for a "How to" thread link

Wanna go from:

To:

Let me know guys
I have the after look. But I have a GS430 so HID xenon come on the car when they made em. Wit you having a gs300, your gonna have to buy a HID ballast, then you have to buy the bulbs.
Old 02-22-18, 08:42 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dtwolf
I have the after look. But I have a GS430 so HID xenon come on the car when they made em. Wit you having a gs300, your gonna have to buy a HID ballast, then you have to buy the bulbs.
OP said he already has HID's, so he doesn't need the ballasts. He is asking how to make the DRL's "HID-like", i.e. blue (unless he wants the middle lights to also be true HID).

And let's be clear - there are two bulbs in those middle lights. One is the running light, which is on when the headlights are on - that one is easy to convert to blue by getting an white LED (I did that using these - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B017VORB7M/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1, so I have blue when my headlights are on). The other one is the dual filament DRL/high beam bulb, and I have no idea how to easily convert that one to blue (short of getting a white high beam LED, which will not really dim to the DRL).

So did you convert the DRL/high beam to blue, or just the running light?

Last edited by lyonkster; 02-22-18 at 08:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
2JZandME (02-22-18)
Old 02-22-18, 08:58 AM
dtwolf
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lyonkster
OP said he already has HID's, so he doesn't need the ballasts. He is asking how to make the DRL's "HID-like", i.e. blue (unless he wants the middle lights to also be true HID).

And let's be clear - there are two bulbs in those middle lights. One is the running light, which is on when the headlights are on - that one is easy to convert to blue by getting an white LED (I did that using these - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1, so I have blue when my headlights are on). The other one is the dual filament DRL/high beam bulb, and I have no idea how to easily convert that one to blue (short of getting a white high beam LED, which will not really dim to the DRL).

I understood whay he said & I stand by what I said. Yes there different bulb sizes so I had to buy an HID ballast for em. You can buy the LED's and they will give somewhat blue look cause of the HID's he has already. It's like there shadowing the blueness onto the other light. But if you want the exact blue look, he's gonna need to buy an HID BALLAST. But to each it's own
Old 02-22-18, 09:01 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by dtwolf
I understood whay he said & I stand by what I said. Yes there different bulb sizes so I had to buy an HID ballast for em. You can buy the LED's and they will give somewhat blue look cause of the HID's he has already. It's like there shadowing the blueness onto the other light. But if you want the exact blue look, he's gonna need to buy an HID BALLAST. But to each it's own
So what HID bulb are you using to give you the DRL/high beam function? The DRL/high beam halogen bulb dims when the high beams are on - I don't see how you can do that with an HID bulb. Or are you driving with the high beams always on?
Old 02-22-18, 09:31 AM
2JZandME
Driver School Candidate

I'm fine with converting the center running lights to LED if it'll get rid of the yellow hue. and give it a updated look. Because it seems to do a HID swap its gunna need a ballast, and honnestly I just want to make its as simple as possible. What lights can you reccomend that would fit? Or are there all in one units? (not spec-d or halo) not going for an aftermarket look.

Last edited by 2JZandME; 02-22-18 at 10:11 AM.
Old 02-22-18, 09:39 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

I'm fine with converting the center running lights to LED if it'll get rid of the yellow hue. and give it a updated look. Because it seems to do a HID swap its gunna need a ballast, and honnestly I just want to make its as simple as possible. What lights chan you reccomend that would fit? Or are there all in one units? (not spec-d or halo) not going for an aftermarket look.
LED lights won't work properly in that location without major mods. LEDs won't really dim at half voltage, which means you'll always be driving with your high beams on. This is why I gave up on the idea of "blue" DRL/high beams, and only have the blue running lights. But maybe dtwolf has found some solution that I haven't thought of.

ETA: As I said in my post above, you can easily have the blue running light by putting in a white 194 LED. This will give you blue running lights when your headlights are on. It's the DRL/high beam blue that is more difficult to implement correctly, safely, and legally.
Old 02-22-18, 10:07 AM
2JZandME
Driver School Candidate

LED lights won't work properly in that location without major mods....you can easily have the blue running light by putting in a white 194 LED.
Ok Just to be clear In the photo I dont have my high beams on, only the running lights which is the ones I would like to change. Which I want to change to match the headlights being white or blue. I'm totally down as you suggest to put the "blue running light by putting in a white 194 LED" but dont want LED lights that dont work properly like you also suggest.

Are running lights the same as my high beams? or can I just replace the running lights on either side and not mess with the high beams. (Sorry for all the questions I just wanna figure this out before tearing into it this weekend and want to order the proper lights for what I want to do.)
Old 02-22-18, 10:15 AM
2JZandME
Driver School Candidate

@ Iyonkster just to be clear i can replace the running lights with
Amazon Amazon
for the look I want. The only worry from the forum is that hey wont work with the high beams. is that correct?

You said you replaced yours, did it affect your high beams or did you also replace those.

- Thanks
Old 02-22-18, 10:16 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Ok Just to be clear In the photo I dont have my high beams on, only the running lights which is the ones I would like to change. Which I want to change to match the headlights being white or blue. I'm totally down as you suggest to put the "blue running light by putting in a white 194 LED" but dont want LED lights that dont work properly like you also suggest.

Are running lights the same as my high beams? or can I just replace the running lights on either side and not mess with the high beams. (Sorry for all the questions I just wanna figure this out before tearing into it this weekend and want to order the proper lights for what I want to do.)
That's very simple then. Get the white 194 LEDs (I linked above the Phillips ones I used), and put them into the running light sockets (the ones on the side of the housing, not in the middle). Done .

This won't affect your high beams or DRLs at all, since that's a different bulb. See below:

2JZandME (02-22-18)
Old 02-22-18, 10:20 AM
2JZandME
Driver School Candidate

Dope Thanks!
Old 02-22-18, 10:20 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

@ Iyonkster just to be clear i can replace the running lights with https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017VORB7M...iglink20326-20 for the look I want. The only worry from the forum is that hey wont work with the high beams. is that correct?

You said you replaced yours, did it affect your high beams or did you also replace those.

- Thanks
I didn't touch the high beams, because I don't know of a safe/legal way to do it (still waiting for dtwolf to prove otherwise).

I only put in the white/blue running light bulbs (194), which match perfectly my OEM HIDs in color. When folks say "it won't work with your high beams", maybe they mean that they won't make your high beams blue, which is true. But it sounds like you are not looking for that, you just want the blue running lights. Again, they will light up blue when you have your headlights on, but when your lights are off and the DRLs kick in, they will go back to yellow, since a different bulb is used in that case. Makes sense?
2JZandME (02-22-18)
Old 02-22-18, 10:41 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

I have blue high beams and running lights like that in one of my cars so it can be done. Both of the bulbs in the high beam housing are LED. I can post some pics later tonight
Old 02-22-18, 10:44 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
I have blue high beams and running lights like that in one of my cars so it can be done. Both of the bulbs in the high beam housing are LED. I can post some pics later tonight
Interesting - what LED bulbs are you running in the DRL/high beam sockets?
Old 02-22-18, 10:53 AM
SaiyanGS3
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by lyonkster
So what HID bulb are you using to give you the DRL/high beam function? The DRL/high beam halogen bulb dims when the high beams are on - I don't see how you can do that with an HID bulb. Or are you driving with the high beams always on?
sounds like he isn't telling the truth. Your post makes to much sense. I highly doubt that he will respond now.

Quick Reply: Xenon HID headlights