LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Some observations after my recall work - you may be interested

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-18, 03:30 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts
Default Some observations after my recall work - you may be interested

FINALLY took my LS in for the fuel gasket recall. While it was there, I asked them to update my nav and any transmission and engine ECU updates.

When I picked up my car about 8 hours later, all the work was done and the Service Advisor went over the details with me. Interestingly, she stated that not only were there software updates to do, but firmware for the audio system as well. She was unsure what these updates would do (other than the obvious for the maps). As for the transmission and engine, there were two updates/revisions done on each. While it's still too early to tell for sure, it seems the trans and engine are more responsive....I'll post more on this after a few weeks, when I'm sure. Also, the trans flare when cold (2-3 shift) seems to have disappeared. Again, I'll post updates later.

Kudos to Open Road Lexus in Port Moody, BC. They are very good.

FWIW, I was given an NX FSport as a courtesy car. Nice, but not my thing.
The following users liked this post:
kingbabu (02-23-18)
Old 02-19-18, 03:58 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Oh....forgot to add that my total bill was about 500 bucks.
Old 02-19-18, 04:51 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

I wonder if my 08 needs these updates as well? How can I find out? Is there a version number to check?
Old 02-19-18, 05:16 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

One of the advantages of having your Lexus serviced at a Lexus dealer.
Old 02-19-18, 05:28 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
I wonder if my 08 needs these updates as well? How can I find out? Is there a version number to check?
You may. The good news is, they won't charge you if you don't need the updates. They charged me about 150 dollars for all the updates (not the nav obviously). What I'm unsure of, is what the audio system update did. I'll have to have a closer look when I get a chance.
Old 02-23-18, 05:38 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
You may. The good news is, they won't charge you if you don't need the updates. They charged me about 150 dollars for all the updates (not the nav obviously). What I'm unsure of, is what the audio system update did. I'll have to have a closer look when I get a chance.
I know for a FACT that my car is behind in calibration / ECM updates. When I connect in Techstream (v12), it shows the current calibration and the newest available. It's only $150 to get the updates. I might call over to my local Lexus dealer on this one.
Old 02-23-18, 10:49 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 0133642

How often were you getting that 2-3 slip?
Only first thing in the morning after the car sat overnight. It literally only did it on the first shift of the day and wouldn't happen again until the next day. That is the same story for most members here at CL. However, it wasn't a "slip", but a "flare"
Old 02-23-18, 01:47 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Only first thing in the morning after the car sat overnight. It literally only did it on the first shift of the day and wouldn't happen again until the next day. That is the same story for most members here at CL. However, it wasn't a "slip", but a "flare"
Mine used to only flare on the first 2-3 shift of the drive, but after the differential work and the trans drain/fill it happens multiple times until the car fully warms up. Maybe I'll give the updates a go as well.
Old 02-23-18, 03:05 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Can you report back if you feel the flare again?
Absolutely.
Old 02-23-18, 06:59 PM
kingbabu
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

FINALLY took my LS in for the fuel gasket recall. While it was there, I asked them to update my nav and any transmission and engine ECU updates.

When I picked up my car about 8 hours later, all the work was done and the Service Advisor went over the details with me. Interestingly, she stated that not only were there software updates to do, but firmware for the audio system as well. She was unsure what these updates would do (other than the obvious for the maps). As for the transmission and engine, there were two updates/revisions done on each. While it's still too early to tell for sure, it seems the trans and engine are more responsive....I'll post more on this after a few weeks, when I'm sure. Also, the trans flare when cold (2-3 shift) seems to have disappeared. Again, I'll post updates later.

Kudos to Open Road Lexus in Port Moody, BC. They are very good.

FWIW, I was given an NX FSport as a courtesy car. Nice, but not my thing.
so what year need to check the fuel gasket pls mine is 2010 but i heard nothing ab it and how do u feel with the trans update ? any feedback
Old 03-01-18, 10:42 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 0133642

Hey Roadfrog, how are the cold shifts a week after the update? Should I keep my appointment this afternoon?
Sorry for the late replay...been fighting a stomach bug. No hint of the trans flare I spoke of earlier. All in all, everything feels smoother.
Old 03-21-18, 07:06 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Sorry for the late replay...been fighting a stomach bug. No hint of the trans flare I spoke of earlier. All in all, everything feels smoother.
Chris, did you get Toyota do your Transmission service before? It might have been someone else.
Old 03-21-18, 07:11 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

My 2007 shifts were smoother than this 2008. The 07 felt like my old cadillac smooth shift. This 08 shifts like it has a shift kit installed. You young guys don't know what a shift kit was. That was back in the day.
Old 03-23-18, 10:16 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

FINALLY took my LS in for the fuel gasket recall.
What model years were afected by that recall?
Old 03-24-18, 07:16 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

In 2007 models there was a "fuel rail" recall. I'm not sure if it is simply different terminology or a different issue in the 2008 models.

Quick Reply: Some observations after my recall work - you may be interested