IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Putting matching front wheels in back to eliminate staggered setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-18, 10:23 AM
Dunhill421
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Putting matching front wheels in back to eliminate staggered setup

hey everyone. Something Ive been thinking about doing was to order two front f sport wheels for my 17 is300 and putting them in the back when it’s time to get new tires.

Im sure there is some performance loss here but I don’t drive my car on the track and use it for a daily commuter.

I feel like the loss of performance is worth being able to rotate my wheels to extend my tire life when I buy new tires.

All input welcome on this.
Not sure if anyone ever posted about this.
The following users liked this post:
AquaMayne (07-12-21)
Old 02-19-18, 01:56 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

i read some posts here well for performance wise i don't wanna mention because some people believes some don't so no argument, by the way the price for 225 and 255 rim 18 not much different, there is no point wasting $$ (AWD you need to replace a set of 4 at once) , trust me when Lexus Engineer re-design AWD IS suspension, they did this for handling, i kept my All-season tires on my AWD IS and drove it for the whole Canadian winter storm, compared my front Wheel Drive Toyota with WInter tires, my IS350 AWD fell better and safer with OEM stagger setup. i never had winter tires on my own Car for 20 years.

Folks saying small Wheel or Tire is better for Snows driving, that B-S , last year and this year i have spent Thousand of dollars to perform a Tire and Winter test, 225/40/18 in the Front and 255/35/18 in the rear with YOKOHAMA ALL SEASONS tires is still safe and better than Continental winter tires on my Toyota TRD spec 225/45/17 all around. "225/45/17" specs was from TRD Toyota Solara back in 1999. later they use that spec on 2001 Lexus IS 1st gen.
Old 02-19-18, 02:09 PM
Dunhill421
Driver

While I appreciate your comment it seems you strayed a bit from my original intentions

The whole reason I said I wanted to do this is so I can rotate my tires to get double the mileage out of them which for the life of the car would save me tremendous money in tires.

Old 02-19-18, 02:21 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Should work fine for the purpose you intend.
Quick overview of why the car has the staggered setup in the first place.
Larger/wider tires stick better than narrower tires. Narrow tires will slide/skid first.
When the front tires slide first the car "understeers" and "pushes" straight ahead.
When the rear tires slide first the car "oversteers" and "gets loose" and spins around.
When you replace the 255's with 225's the rear could get loose and oversteer.
I personally find the idea entertaining but you could get surprised on a wet
freeway ramp in the rain when you least expect it.
OrthoMT (06-08-18)
Old 02-19-18, 03:55 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dunhill421
While I appreciate your comment it seems you strayed a bit from my original intentions

The whole reason I said I wanted to do this is so I can rotate my tires to get double the mileage out of them which for the life of the car would save me tremendous money in tires.

I have nothing to against you're saving $$ i'd like to explain to you a bit, i'm looking for to get an RC-F or a Mustang GT, i find that IS350 AWD Fsport has good gas mileage than my V6 Toyota no offend to me i looking for "SAFETY and HANDLING" more than looking for saving $$$$ if i want to save money I WILL BUY A TOYOTA YARIS or Corolla. its not about the $$ its about safety since "Toyota Solara V6" is number 1 safety back in the day in1998 (the car was luxury came with ABS+Traction control, ABS and Traction were optional at that time.
Old 02-19-18, 04:05 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcomer
Should work fine for the purpose you intend.
Quick overview of why the car has the staggered setup in the first place.
Larger/wider tires stick better than narrower tires. Narrow tires will slide/skid first.
When the front tires slide first the car "understeers" and "pushes" straight ahead.
When the rear tires slide first the car "oversteers" and "gets loose" and spins around.
When you replace the 255's with 225's the rear could get loose and oversteer.
I personally find the idea entertaining but you could get surprised on a wet
freeway ramp in the rain when you least expect it.
lol happened to my friend 2009 IS250 AWD 225/45/17, hahaha some people don't understand the concepts of RWD and AWD, like front WHEEL DRIVE Honda Toyota and Acura don't need stagger setup, but these performance Lexus somehow need (everytimes i explain they starts an argument which lead me to BAN hammer by Dave lol, i read other post some of them alternated their setup from stagger 225/4018F - 255/35/18R to 225/45/17 for Winter driven, but thats not going to help them better driving in snows, driving in snow will depend on the Driver and the winter tires.not the suspension alters, "brake Drivetrain Wheel setup Weight of the car and speed they all connected"
Old 02-19-18, 05:11 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

find two more rear wheels and put them in the front. get some spacers and put them on in back to push them out to match the front stance. four identical tires/wheels, better traction, better wear, and a better look.
AquaMayne (07-12-21)
Old 02-19-18, 07:49 PM
2jzdc
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone found a pair of the rears and switched it to the front?
Old 02-19-18, 10:43 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Sounds like you bought the wrong car for yourself there if you're worried about the cost of tires and compromising your safety over it ....
Old 02-20-18, 03:59 AM
Dunhill421
Driver

You guys do realize that the base awd version of our cars come with 17 inch wheels non staggered setup?

its the same car lol without staggered setup and no issues with the way it handles or drives. I spoke with a lead teach from Lexus over the weekend and he said the only downside is that the narrower tires will have less traction for performance related driving like pushing the car hard.

He said youll actually get better better gas mileage and be able to rotate the tires as well as have more of a selection on the kind of tires I can buy.

AquaMayne (07-12-21)
Old 02-20-18, 07:42 AM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

You guys do realize that the base awd version of our cars come with 17 inch wheels non staggered setup?
its the same car lol without staggered setup and no issues with the way it handles or drives. I spoke with a lead teach from Lexus over the weekend and he said the only downside is that the narrower tires will have less traction for performance related driving like pushing the car hard.
He said youll actually get better better gas mileage and be able to rotate the tires as well as have more of a selection on the kind of tires I can buy.
I went to a 235/35r19 all around, for tire rotation. I switched to a 225/45r17 for winters all around. I'll get longer life out of them, and i ignore everyone that says my safety is now in jeopardy for reasons unproven. I believe if you buy quality tires what are you afraid of? If anything people with those stock turanzas are in jeopardy because those are the ****iest tires i've ever had.

It will be hard to find just 2 f sport wheels to do what you want to do, and likely expensive. You might get lucky, i thought about doing that too, wasn't sure if 255 would fit in the front, and i didn't want to put the smaller wheels all around because i wanted the wheels to be flush with the fender.
Old 02-20-18, 08:28 AM
Dunhill421
Driver

so You actually bought new rims and did what I’m thinking of doing.

Yeah ah I get why they are saying that but our cars are designed to run with 225’s all around as well as a staggered setup.
Base and f sport.

So I know it will be fine. The Lexus tech even confirmed it.

I’m going to get a quote from the Lexus dealer I use on the two front rims and when I change my wheels I’ll probably go with 235/35 18’s so they are a little wider all around.
Old 02-20-18, 08:36 AM
Dunhill421
Driver

I found this site that is a Lexus dealer that seems to have really good prices compared to dealers locally.

https://www.lexuspartshub.com/oem-pa...bC12Ni1nYXM%3D

not bad at all.
Old 02-20-18, 09:07 AM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

so You actually bought new rims and did what I’m thinking of doing.

Yeah ah I get why they are saying that but our cars are designed to run with 225’s all around as well as a staggered setup.
Base and f sport.

So I know it will be fine. The Lexus tech even confirmed it.

I’m going to get a quote from the Lexus dealer I use on the two front rims and when I change my wheels I’ll probably go with 235/35 18’s so they are a little wider all around.
if I could do it again I would chose a different width size 235 limited me to so few choices. You still have a choice so I would recommend maybe a 245 tire or even 255, since you can pick the rims that will fit best. 18 inch rims are more popular as well, 19s filled the wheel gap and gave the car a lowered look, without lowering.
Old 02-20-18, 09:51 AM
Drawblood
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I ordered these for my winter "square" setup. Been very happy with them and it's an OEM F-Sport look for cheap!

Amazon Amazon
AquaMayne (07-12-21)

Quick Reply: Putting matching front wheels in back to eliminate staggered setup