Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CIAS 2018 (Canadian International Autoshow) in Toronto

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-18, 07:46 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Default CIAS 2018 (Canadian International Autoshow) in Toronto

Went to the CIAS 2018 today in Toronto. I'll let the pics do the talking!

Part 1

Old 02-18-18, 07:53 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Part 2 pics.

Old 02-18-18, 08:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Nice to see the Mirai back at the show. By far my favourite Toyota.
Old 02-18-18, 08:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
Part 2 pics.
I see, by the pics, that Mercedes showed up. For some reason, both Mercedes and Cadillac skipped the D.C. show....never seen that happen before.

Also a nice shot there of what (appears) to be the Regal GS. Buick brought a couple of 2.0L turbo Regal Sportbacks to the D.C. show, but neglected both the S and the Tour-X Wagon, despite the fact that the wagon was already starting to come into area dealerships.

Last edited by mmarshall; 02-18-18 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-18-18, 08:54 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I see, by the pics, that Mercedes showed up. For some reason, both Mercedes and Cadillac skipped the D.C. show....never seen that happen before.

Also a nice shot there of what (appears) to be the Regal GS. Buick brought a couple of 2.0L turbo Regal Sportbacks to the D.C. show, but neglected both the S and the Tour-X Wagon, despite the fact that the wagon was already starting to come into area dealerships.
MM, Caddy was there too though I was not impressed with the XT5's interior. Looked and felt hardly better than a Buick Envision's or the Regal's - good for Buick, not so much for the Caddy, i.e. below:

Speaking of the Regal, I thought it was bland in pics but has a clean "elegant sport" look to it that is well captured in person. In fact, when sorting through my pics, I posted the Regal along side the CLS - anyone notice how eerily similar both front ends look?
Old 02-19-18, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

MM, Caddy was there too though I was not impressed with the XT5's interior. Looked and felt hardly better than a Buick Envision's or the Regal's - good for Buick, not so much for the Caddy, i.e. below:
Yes....Caddy uses nicer-looking steering wheels (with the wood-tone trim in between the spokes) than Buick, but, other than that, I agree that their interiors could be improved. Lincoln, with the new Continental and Navigator, has really upped the bar on them...I assume you got to see the Navigator at the show. The one at the D.C. show, fortunately, was on the floor and unlocked, so we all got to check it out.

Speaking of the Regal, I thought it was bland in pics but has a clean "elegant sport" look to it that is well captured in person. In fact, when sorting through my pics, I posted the Regal along side the CLS - anyone notice how eerily similar both front ends look?
You probably already know this, but, if not, both the old and new Regal are rebadged versions of the German-designed Opel Insignia. Buick is really taking a chance with the marketing this year. I'm not sure about Canada, but, here in the U.S., there will be no Regal sedans this year...only the Sport-hatchbacks and the AWD Tour-X Wagon. This may (?) also be the last new Opel-designed Buick product in the U.S. (the current Encore, Cascada, and now-discontinued Verano are also rebadged Opels). GM has (foolishly, IMO) sold off the Opel division. Sad, because they were (mostly) responsible for the significant rise in Buick quality and reliability we saw in recent years.
Old 02-19-18, 07:24 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Yes....Caddy uses nicer-looking steering wheels (with the wood-tone trim in between the spokes) than Buick, but, other than that, I agree that their interiors could be improved. Lincoln, with the new Continental and Navigator, has really upped the bar on them...I assume you got to see the Navigator at the show. The one at the D.C. show, fortunately, was on the floor and unlocked, so we all got to check it out.

You probably already know this, but, if not, both the old and new Regal are rebadged versions of the German-designed Opel Insignia. Buick is really taking a chance with the marketing this year. I'm not sure about Canada, but, here in the U.S., there will be no Regal sedans this year...only the Sport-hatchbacks and the AWD Tour-X Wagon. This may (?) also be the last new Opel-designed Buick product in the U.S. (the current Encore, Cascada, and now-discontinued Verano are also rebadged Opels). GM has (foolishly, IMO) sold off the Opel division. Sad, because they were (mostly) responsible for the significant rise in Buick quality and reliability we saw in recent years.

I skipped over Lincoln but from pics Lincoln (Navigator) has raised the bar!

Yep Opel and the German influence in the exterior design and engineering is visible.
In Canada we are getting the Regal sport hatch, not sure about the wagon but chances are we will like in the US. And those GS seats! Really nice (not my pic below).

Old 02-19-18, 07:34 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I skipped over Lincoln but from pics Lincoln (Navigator) has raised the bar!

Yep Opel and the German influence in the exterior design and engineering is visible.
In Canada we are getting the Regal sport hatch, not sure about the wagon but chances are we will like in the US. And those GS seats! Really nice (not my pic below).

Never really liked the Lincoln cross over SUVs of the current Gen The dash design sucks and feels cheap on the center console. I didn’t mind the previous gen.
Old 02-19-18, 08:07 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Despite the "International" tag in the name, the Toronto autoshow is still a local, dealer-sponsored show; it is up to the local dealers to decide whether or not to attend the show.

The Detroit show, however, is an internationally-sanctioned show that requires major commitments and resources from automakers' corporate headquarters. Mercedes-Benz has indicated that it may not attend next year's Detroit show because it does not match with their current decisions as to new model introductions (source). Mercedes-Benz, just like other automakers, is now making new model introductions at technology shows (such as CES in Las Vegas) rather than strictly at autoshows.

What may also be involved is that there may now be too many such shows (major technology and autoshows) in the USA. There is the Detroit show in January, the Chicago show in February, the New York show in April and the Los Angeles show in November / December. Perhaps thought should be given to holding some or all of these major international shows on a biennial (2-year) rotating basis (such as Paris and Frankfurt alternate).
Old 02-19-18, 08:58 AM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.
Old 02-19-18, 09:07 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly could not tell what this generically styled heavily derivative car was for a solid 30 seconds.

Looks like a Chinese knockoff of a last gen 5 series with an Acura TLX C-pillar thrown in for good measure.

Old 02-19-18, 09:08 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

Man, that f-pace interior is so bland looking.
Old 02-19-18, 09:13 AM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns

Honestly could not tell what this generically styled heavily derivative car was for a solid 30 seconds.
I couldn't either and was going to go back to it, love the blue color though.
I was going to guess a G70 from the genesis logo on the center caps, but that fender boomerang threw me off into guessing it's some infiniti.
Old 02-19-18, 09:26 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
I couldn't either and was going to go back to it, love the blue color though.
I was going to guess a G70 from the genesis logo on the center caps, but that fender boomerang threw me off into guessing it's some infiniti.
There is the Genesis logo up on the screen behind the car, maybe it is the G70?? Hard to tell.
Old 02-19-18, 09:29 AM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by LexBob2
There is the Genesis logo up on the screen behind the car, maybe it is the G70?? Hard to tell.
Yes, you're right.
did some googling and it's the 2019 G70, found this article:

https://www.auto123.com/en/news/2019...ontreal/64330/

I must say it's looking pretty good. Somehow pictures from the last G70 thread weren't that impressive.

Last edited by GS3Tek; 02-19-18 at 09:33 AM.

Quick Reply: CIAS 2018 (Canadian International Autoshow) in Toronto