RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Lexus RC Moonroof Wind Deflector Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-18, 03:02 PM
Syan48306
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default [Solved] Lexus RC Moonroof Wind Deflector Stuck

Anyone else have issues with their moonroof air deflector? Mine seems to be really sticky and doesn't pop up automatically. There's a rubber piece under the aluminum deflector that seems to be kind of stiff that prevents it from popping up as the glass slides back. Either that or the springs are just not strong enough. Is it meant to be flipped up manually or should it pop up automatically?

Anyone else have this issue?

Last edited by Syan48306; 03-12-18 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-18-18, 06:07 AM
Jay hall
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i too have this issue... i think its the spring its too weak or it needs to be greased. This is what i feel..
Old 02-19-18, 11:38 AM
Syan48306
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jay hall
i too have this issue... i think its the spring its too weak or it needs to be greased. This is what i feel..
I took off the wind deflector even disassembled the wind deflector and slid the front rubber trim out. Without the trim, it pops up just fine. It's almost as if the rubber piece is too stiff, or there's too much material jammed in between the body and wind deflector. I took grease and lubed up the rubber piece but it it's still slow to pop up - it pops up a few seconds after the the entire roof slides back as if it's sticky.

I'm thinking of just trimming the rubber piece back so that less of it is rubbing against the body of the car as it goes up. It looks like the entire assembly can be bought for $137 online. Seeing as it's the subassembly, it probably even comes with the rubber seal too. If I botch up the trimming I'll probably just purchase another one here. https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/...w-glass,,63209
Old 02-21-18, 06:45 AM
tfischer

Received 192 Likes on 145 Posts

After reading this, I opened my sunroof and checked on the wind deflector. It did not pop up by itself, but, with manipulation, it feels like there is a little bump in there somewhere that I have to give it a boost to help it pop all the way up. I sprayed some lubricant on the moving parts, but that did not seem to help. I don't open the sunroof much, so I'm going to try to live with this. Since I have not noticed this problem for the last 3 years, I think I can get along with lifting it up when I do open the roof.
But if you find the cause of this, and if there is a fix for this, please post it here.
Old 02-25-18, 09:51 AM
mvblum
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Checked mine and the same issue here, I'll try cleaning it up and lubing when it gets warmer and see what happens.
Old 02-26-18, 09:19 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Yes mine too. Sometimes it's pops up late.
Old 02-26-18, 09:27 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I had this issue in my RCF, (I have a thread on it in the RCF forum) it required replacement of the sun roof track, if yo have this issue you may also notice that there is a rattle/vibration and excessive buffeting noise when the sunroof is open and the sun shade is not fully retracted, in my case we also noticed that the sun roof did not fully open, when compared to other RC vehicles my sun roof at full open had a difference of 1.75", meaning the distance from the front edge of the opening to the glass was shorter than 5 other RCs we compared.. this is what resulted in the rattle and buffeting noise.

Cerritos Lexus in Socal did it for me several months ago and I was very pleased with their handling of the whole situation. Talk to Service Advisor Sean if you go there, according to him it is a known issue on several models between 2014 and 2016, I was just in for my 30K service and he asked me about the sun roof as the repair was done about 8 months ago, he indicated since mine they have done several GS and ES models, and 1 other RC.
Old 03-06-18, 12:03 PM
Syan48306
Rookie

So I trimmed the rubber piece and now the deflector pops up but I'm getting additional wind noise because there's a little gap between the deflector rubber and the car. While looking for the replacement part, I noticed what I thought was the part 63209-24050 is actually indicated as "replaced by 63209-24051" according to LexusPartsNow. Perhaps they fixed the problem with the part. My car is out of warranty so I'm gonna just purchase this and see how it goes. Will report back later.

Old 03-06-18, 12:18 PM
tfischer

How can your car be out of warranty? The RC, like all Lexus cars, has a 4 year transferable warranty; the RC went on sale in the fall (Nov) of 2014 (I bought mine on the first day) which is less than 4 years ago, although I must confess math has never been my strong suit.
PS: whose idea was it to trim the rubber part on a wind deflector?

Last edited by tfischer; 03-06-18 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Removed references to "embiggen" being added to the dictionary.
Old 03-06-18, 01:33 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by tfischer
How can your car be out of warranty? The RC, like all Lexus cars, has a 4 year transferable warranty; the RC went on sale in the fall (Nov) of 2014 (I bought mine on the first day) which is less than 4 years ago, although I must confess math has never been my strong suit.
the warranty is 4 years or 50K miles which ever comes first.. if he is past the 50K mile mark he is out of warranty.
Old 03-06-18, 01:56 PM
tfischer

Oh: 50,000 miles. Of course. I drive so few miles I forgot about that part.
Old 03-12-18, 06:54 AM
Syan48306
Rookie

The new wind deflector part came in. It's the entire aluminum piece with rubber/foam piece in the front attached. Again, I don't know if 63209-24051 is really any different from 63209-24050 but the rubber piece in the front is a little softer allowing it to pop up as intended. I don't know if it's because the old one just got stiff over time or if the new one is of a different material but the replacement is good. The spring force on the two are identical so it's really just the rubber seal in the front that feels different. I'd recommend you guys who are having the issue to have lexus replace the part and it'll be good to go.

If lexus offered just the rubber seal repalcement, taking out the rubber seal is as simple as undoing a torx screw and sliding the rubber out. It's actually simpler than replacing the windshield wiper rubber inserts.

Originally Posted by tfischer
Well, these were the things I tried.
  1. I greased the rubber strip which did help it pop up but it'd be very slow and make take like 5 to 10 seconds after the moonroof was fully retracted
  2. I then removed the rubber strip which created excessive wind buffeting.
  3. Then I trimmed it down but I trimmed too much which ended up not sealing completely, which created high pitched wind noises.
  4. A replacement with the new part, 63209-24051, finally fixed the issue.

Last edited by Syan48306; 03-12-18 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-12-18, 07:08 AM
tfischer

Thanks for that info. My guess is that Lexus re-designed the part.
My car is one of the first, and it has the problem you describe; since my car is still under warranty, I'll mention this to them when I have it in for service next month, and I should get the new part with the improved pop-up mechanics, at their expense, which is the way it should be.
Old 03-12-18, 08:29 AM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

The headliner doesn't have to come off right?
Old 04-24-18, 07:08 PM
jowsleyyy
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have this exact same issue and I am also outside warranty. Could you please post a link on how to replace it yourself? I can't seem to find any instruction booklets anywhere

TIA

I also found the part in question "63209-24051" for $126.86 here

Quick Reply: Lexus RC Moonroof Wind Deflector Stuck