GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Remote App

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-18, 07:03 AM
dahlberg01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote App

I just purchased a new RX 350, once you remotely start the car, I find it odd that the engine stops the moment you open the car even with the fob in hand, is there a setting that can be changed?
Old 02-16-18, 07:10 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Nope.

It's how it is. Not odd. Some cars do and some cars don't.

Ours does.
The following users liked this post:
dahlberg01 (02-16-18)
Old 02-16-18, 10:23 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

I don't think it is some cars do and some don't. It should be a user correctable setting. Many other car manufacturers don't shut the motor off when you open the door. None of the aftermarket ones I'm aware of. It seems like a stupid thing to do if the FOB is detected.
Jayson (02-18-18)
Old 02-16-18, 12:17 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
I don't think it is some cars do and some don't. It should be a user correctable setting. Many other car manufacturers don't shut the motor off when you open the door. None of the aftermarket ones I'm aware of. It seems like a stupid thing to do if the FOB is detected.
I understand what you're saying and agree that it would be nice if it didn't but this system does not allow for a change on whether or not the engine stops after you've opened a door/trunk.

It's not an option.

Quite literally though, it's the smallest inconvenience for me. Certainly not one I complain about.
Old 02-16-18, 05:33 PM
eddie420

Received 610 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by dahlberg01
I just purchased a new RX 350, once you remotely start the car, I find it odd that the engine stops the moment you open the car even with the fob in hand, is there a setting that can be changed?
Toyota does not listen to its customer base. This shutoff is by design and it's ludicrous we do not get an option to disable it. Regardless, I use it to warm up the engine before I get in the vehicle. Nothing we can do about it. Hopefully someone can break the ECU and establish a secure takeover so the engine does not shut off... A man can only dream...
Jayson (02-18-18)
Old 02-16-18, 06:16 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eddie420
Toyota does not listen to its customer base. This shutoff is by design and it's ludicrous we do not get an option to disable it. Regardless, I use it to warm up the engine before I get in the vehicle. Nothing we can do about it. Hopefully someone can break the ECU and establish a secure takeover so the engine does not shut off... A man can only dream...
Lol.

Chevy doesn't listen to its customer base or they'd be making better vehicles...

I think Toyota is doing just fine. Again...I can't believe this is a point of hatred on Toyota.

Can those using Clarista get around it?
Old 02-16-18, 06:21 PM
eddie420

Originally Posted by MustangSal
Lol.

Chevy doesn't listen to its customer base or they'd be making better vehicles...

I think Toyota is doing just fine. Again...I can't believe this is a point of hatred on Toyota.

Can those using Clarista get around it?
Not hatred or we wouldn't be buying these cars for ages... Making good cars and listening to your customer base are two different things.

Toyota has made the dumbest, misguided decision in shutting off the engine in all situations.

No one has been able to secure a bypass/takeover from the ECU. No third party app is going to work.
Old 02-16-18, 06:28 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eddie420
Not hatred or we wouldn't be buying these cars for ages... Making good cars and listening to your customer base are two different things.

Toyota has made the dumbest, misguided decision in shutting off the engine in all situations.

No one has been able to secure a bypass/takeover from the ECU. No third party app is going to work.
I had the same argument for the Tundra when trying to get the TrD supercharger added. They eventually wanted an astronomical amount of cash to reprogram the ecu so it could handle the new ratios and timing. Seriously agree that they make it tough but I see both sides in a very complicated tech environment.

I believe they just don't want their tech messed with. But whatever. I don't really see it as an inconvenience.
Old 02-17-18, 04:16 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Wouldn't be an inconvenience if someone tried to steal your car while it was running. Whenever I warmed up other cars I've had I never took my eye off the car. There was a story in the news a while back that people could be ticketed for warming their cars unattended due to theft.
Old 02-17-18, 07:56 AM
eddie420

Originally Posted by charley95
Wouldn't be an inconvenience if someone tried to steal your car while it was running. Whenever I warmed up other cars I've had I never took my eye off the car. There was a story in the news a while back that people could be ticketed for warming their cars unattended due to theft.
The logic is simple.

If any actions are done with the keyfob present, keep the engine running.

If any actions are done without the keyfob present, turn the engine off.

Keyfob detected = engine on

Keyfob not detected = engine off
Jayson (02-18-18)
Old 02-17-18, 10:51 AM
LOLjasonW
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dahlberg01
unfortunately no, this is a feature that can't be turned off or changed. It's a safety feature built into the car. If I start my car and you get in it an try to leave it should turn off. if I remotely start my car and as I'm walking up to it you force me near or into my car it should shut off. Its basically meant to deter if not completely thwart car theft,Well that's the logic from lexus at least
Old 02-17-18, 10:56 AM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by LOLjasonW
unfortunately no, this is a feature that can't be turned off or changed. It's a safety feature built into the car. If I start my car and you get in it an try to leave it should turn off. if I remotely start my car and as I'm walking up to it you force me near or into my car it should shut off. Its basically meant to deter if not completely thwart car theft,Well that's the logic from lexus at least
You can try to rationalize this any way you want but many, many people survive just fine with cars that do not shut off when you open the door.
Old 02-17-18, 11:38 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Lots of cars don’t shut off like this and still can’t be stolen. For example, in my sister’s Murano, you remote start it, then you have to have the fob to unlock it. Car stays running. Get in, and you can only drive away once the key is recognized, you put your foot on the brake, and push start again. Otherwise you can’t get it out of gear.
Old 02-17-18, 12:03 PM
LOLjasonW
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Lots of cars don’t shut off like this and still can’t be stolen. For example, in my sister’s Murano, you remote start it, then you have to have the fob to unlock it. Car stays running. Get in, and you can only drive away once the key is recognized, you put your foot on the brake, and push start again. Otherwise you can’t get it out of gear.
so even in the murano you have to put your foot on the brake? how is it any different than the lexus? your literally still doing the same thing, our car turns off so its not stolen an inconvenience at best. I wonder if the keyfob for the nissan can be tricked into thinking it's there while its not. I would rather my car shut off and be completely immobile, than have the notion that it could possibly just be driven off bc i was lazy and remotely started it. AHH the wonders of first world problems

I admit its an inconvenience, but it's IMO a better idea
Old 02-17-18, 12:12 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Originally Posted by LOLjasonW
so even in the murano you have to put your foot on the brake? how is it any different than the lexus? your literally still doing the same thing, our car turns off so its not stolen an inconvenience at best. I wonder if the keyfob for the nissan can be tricked into thinking it's there while its not. I would rather my car shut off and be completely immobile, than have the notion that it could possibly just be driven off bc i was lazy and remotely started it. AHH the wonders of first world problems

I admit its an inconvenience, but it's IMO a better idea
You sound like one of those people that can rationalize any terrible thing as being the way you like no matter what real and factual evidence is presented to the contrary. I've met fanboys who believed their hero could do no wrong.

Quick Reply: Remote App