RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Went to buy 2018 LS500 and pondering RX350

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-18, 11:35 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Went to buy 2018 LS500 and pondering RX350

I've been stalking the LS since the word of it's very overdue refresh, and went to test drive them today. Interior fit and finish was amazing, better than photos by far. It was like a large GS. The compromise was it felt a little snug/sporty/embracing more than I expected and it has run flat tires only which compromise the ride on poor roads (read--most every road and interstate in the USA)

While there I test drove a 2018 RX350, I'm not really an SUV type, and for me ride and quiet serenity shadow everything else. The Luxury version we drove was GREAT! I can now see why these things are so popular. No drone noise (in one we tested) and smooth as the LS over bumps. (That said, if I got an LS I'd change the tires out from new).

Am I correct that 2019 should bring minor modifications? And maybe Carplay? No carplay is an offense punishable by death considering how bad Lexus' nagivation systems are, and how they tie your hands when the car is in motion.
Old 02-14-18, 04:26 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Look at the rx450 lux, it's a great piece
there are screen mirroring options, for the 12.3 nav. Beatsonic

not everyone has an iPhone, so I could care less about car play
Old 02-14-18, 07:31 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

wait for carplay. SHould be available in 2019.

Also, they may make the trunk hands free a kick like the NX instead of the emblem which alot of ppl find annoying.

So if you can wait just wait.
Old 02-15-18, 08:21 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by kellens
I've been stalking the LS since the word of it's very overdue refresh, and went to test drive them today. Interior fit and finish was amazing, better than photos by far. It was like a large GS. The compromise was it felt a little snug/sporty/embracing more than I expected and it has run flat tires only which compromise the ride on poor roads (read--most every road and interstate in the USA)
While there I test drove a 2018 RX350, I'm not really an SUV type, and for me ride and quiet serenity shadow everything else. The Luxury version we drove was GREAT! I can now see why these things are so popular. No drone noise (in one we tested) and smooth as the LS over bumps. (That said, if I got an LS I'd change the tires out from new).
Am I correct that 2019 should bring minor modifications? And maybe Carplay? No carplay is an offense punishable by death considering how bad Lexus' nagivation systems are, and how they tie your hands when the car is in motion.
On the LS if it does have run-flats it probably will have not a spare tire. If you are planning on changing them make sure that you can get a spare. This would be a deal killer for me.
Old 02-15-18, 12:17 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
wait for carplay. SHould be available in 2019.

Also, they may make the trunk hands free a kick like the NX instead of the emblem which alot of ppl find annoying.

So if you can wait just wait.

I'm so hopeful that the entire Lexus line gets CarPlay and Android Auto in 2019. I haven't heard any confirmation on this. They have made it clear it's not retroactive which is kindove a bummer. Wonder if it's truly a hardware issue or just another way to sell new cars.
Old 02-15-18, 12:19 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cocal
On the LS if it does have run-flats it probably will have not a spare tire. If you are planning on changing them make sure that you can get a spare. This would be a deal killer for me.
True, The 2018 LS500 ONLY comes with run flat tires, and no spare, or space for one. You'd in essence, lose your trunk. The ride on them not bad, but you feel things in the road that on my test drive that I did NOT feel in the RX. The ES also with the 2016 redesign was a hit, especially in the Ultra Luxury package.

Anyone go from any LS or ES to the latest generation RX? Interested in thoughts. Thanks in advance
Old 02-15-18, 12:20 PM
nextcar
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your top priorities are quiet and comfortable ride, and the new LS is not up to your standard, I recommend the RX 450. I am disappointed with the vibration/drone in my 17 RX 350, but I believe Lexus fixed that issue with the 18. Still the hybrid would add additional serenity. Another benefit is the CVT transmission. My 8 speed tends to hunt gears at low speed, and I think it's a bit annoying.

I am really surprised that the new LS decided to be more sporty with bigger, stiffer tires and suspension.
Old 02-15-18, 12:45 PM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by nextcar
I am really surprised that the new LS decided to be more sporty with bigger, stiffer tires and suspension.
I think Lexus is making a big mistake trying to go "Sporty" This not what the brand is known for and in the pursuit of younger buyers they'll lose those who can afford and have so far bought their products.

Nothing wrong with having a line that is sporty and the IS/GS fit the bill perfectly, but there seems to be almost a revolution in Lexus philosophy of their reason for being. Only time will tell.
Old 02-15-18, 12:52 PM
nextcar
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think auto journalists are largely to blame, as they seem to hate everything that has a cushy, quiet ride and can't perform well on a track.
But people really read their articles, and Lexus is trying to make cars to satisfy these journalists.

I recently got rid of my 2014 BMW 335i, and realized that I don't really take corners very fast or need to accelerate very fast. I would rather enjoy a comfortable ride.
Old 02-15-18, 01:07 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

I went from a 2015 ES-350 and a 2015 RX-350 to the 2017 RX-450H. The ES car was much quieter inside, handled a lot better, had much more comfortable seats and a lot more acceleration. The 450H sits up higher and has it's own pluses but just is not the same form factor as the ES. I really have no preference between the ES and 450H except that up here in snow country the ES does not do as well in the winter due to clearance underneath. The 450H has the smoothest transmission on the planet! You really need to drive both for a while to make an informed decision about which is best for you.
Old 02-15-18, 01:27 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gregjhonda
I went from a 2015 ES-350 and a 2015 RX-350 to the 2017 RX-450H. The ES car was much quieter inside, handled a lot better, had much more comfortable seats and a lot more acceleration. The 450H sits up higher and has it's own pluses but just is not the same form factor as the ES. I really have no preference between the ES and 450H except that up here in snow country the ES does not do as well in the winter due to clearance underneath. The 450H has the smoothest transmission on the planet! You really need to drive both for a while to make an informed decision about which is best for you.

Thank you! Great info. I don't have snow here, or a need for AWD, but do need to haul stuff occasionally and will check out the 450H. My only hybrid experience was in a loaner Lexus CT 200h, and I wasn't in love with it, felt half baked, albeit this was 7 years or so ago. The ES is very quiet, they increased the quietness in 2016 for engine. I didn't think the RX louder on my short test drive, but will take your word for it. Do you notice more road/wind/engine noise? Is it tire dependent?

I agree that 'sporty' in this line of vehicles is a huge mistake, and I am 100% certain the next generation ES will go sportier, with the LS500 there, and the GS supposedly on the chopping block. I drive over pot holes with traffic, semis, and car radios blaring. I'm never on a track. If I was, it wouldn't be in ANY sedan or SUV though. I'm just seeking a near silent cocoon that feels like it's floating on air. If I want an engaging weekend drive, I have anther car for that, or a selection of many cars which ride rough and loud.

Last edited by kellens; 02-15-18 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-15-18, 01:36 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cocal
I think Lexus is making a big mistake trying to go "Sporty" This not what the brand is known for and in the pursuit of younger buyers they'll lose those who can afford and have so far bought their products.

Nothing wrong with having a line that is sporty and the IS/GS fit the bill perfectly, but there seems to be almost a revolution in Lexus philosophy of their reason for being. Only time will tell.
I couldn't agree more. But they're missing the mark seeking younger. Many younger will laugh their way out of the showroom with any Lexus when they see the tech package circa 1990, and if they have the money, younger usually go for label. Not always, but it's an uphill battle for Lexus. I agree they needed to go polarizing with the look a little, less safe so to speak, but never needed to become 'feel and hear the road'.
Old 02-15-18, 02:02 PM
Cocal
Racer

I couldn't agree more. But they're missing the mark seeking younger. Many younger will laugh their way out of the showroom with any Lexus when they see the tech package circa 1990, and if they have the money, younger usually go for label. Not always, but it's an uphill battle for Lexus. I agree they needed to go polarizing with the look a little, less safe so to speak, but never needed to become 'feel and hear the road'.
Agree completely with you !
Old 02-15-18, 02:03 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

I'm so hopeful that the entire Lexus line gets CarPlay and Android Auto in 2019. I haven't heard any confirmation on this. They have made it clear it's not retroactive which is kindove a bummer. Wonder if it's truly a hardware issue or just another way to sell new cars.
https://lexusenthusiast.com/2018/01/...exus-vehicles/
Old 02-15-18, 02:58 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Cool..any word which models will get it?

Quick Reply: Went to buy 2018 LS500 and pondering RX350