IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

20k service for IS

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-18, 10:43 AM
eman27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20k service for IS

was wondering how much you guys all paid for your 20k service? i have a 2017 is 200t. im currently waiting at Longo Lexus in el monte and they charged me $350...
i decided to give keyes lexus a call and they gave me a quote for $289 instead. waiting for the manager to price match at the moment...

these freaken dealers are out to get you....
Old 02-08-18, 11:00 AM
eman27
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Saw your post roll through the live feed... sounds like you are at the dealership now... what service is Longo doing for $350 at 20k? All that's required at the 20k mark is an oil change and cabin filter change, (unless they are able to rotate your tires if you don't have a staggered setup) and the cabin filter change is optional - all other services are fluff - inspections and checks. Just have them do the LOF change, should be approx. $125 with full synth.

im actually here for the 15k maintence check up. which was ony supposed to be $100. but my actual milage was around 17500k so the service advisor recommended me to just do the 20k service with the oil change and gave me the quote for $350 plus tax. i told him if theres any way he can lower the price, and he offered me a 10% discount.

this is the first service im paying for and i had no idea what they are supposed to cost...i figured thats just how much its supposed to be and agreeed on the price. while im still waiting here, i figured ill call up other dealers to see if its around the same price and keyes lexus told me they only change around $290 plus $25 off with coupon.

anyways, would love everyone to share whatever information you guys have, i think this could really help other people in similiar situation who really just didnt know any better like myself!
Old 02-08-18, 11:11 AM
eman27
Driver School Candidate

Confusing... in the middle of your pic is lists EST: LBR 210.64 PTS 124.60 TOTAL 335.24 - but then down at the bottom it lists the Preliminary Estimate at $101.53... which is it?

Anyway, I never go in to have my car serviced and request a certain mileage service, I go in and request specific things to be done that I want the dealer to do based on the maintenance schedule - do for example, at my 20k miles, I requested an oil and filter change and bought a cabin filter to replace myself - my bill was $138. I can do all the checks myself, and my dealer always includes a vehicle inspection for free where they provide tire tread and brake pad measurements.

People that go in and have a 20k mile service done is where the dealerships make their bread and butter.
the preliminary estimate for the 15k service check is $101.53, but theres an adjusted price on the bottom that wasnt in the picture for $348!
cool, thanks man! i came from a BMW where all the services were free...so this was actually my first time having to pay for any car maintenance... lol
Old 02-08-18, 11:35 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

sounds like a typical dealership rip off...

Just get the oil and oil filter yourself and have a shop replace it for you if you aren't comfortable with it (Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 0W-20 u can get for like 25-30 dollars). Cabin filter is easy just do it yourself, it should be the same way as done on this 2014 IS350 (haven't checked in my 200T yet though)

All the other inspection stuff can be done anywhere. Staggered tires = no rotation.

even $289 is too much for all this.

Last edited by premier3IS; 02-08-18 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-08-18, 11:43 AM
eman27
Driver School Candidate

they also said i have 3mm left on my brake pads and needed replacement. a cool $555......
any suggestions for this? should i get OEM brake pads and just have another auto shop install it for me? any other brake pads you guys recommend?
Old 02-08-18, 11:46 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by eman27
they also said i have 3mm left on my brake pads and needed replacement. a cool $555......
any suggestions for this? should i get OEM brake pads and just have another auto shop install it for me? any other brake pads you guys recommend?
lots of discussions on this forum regarding brake pads. Suggest you read through them for the pros and cons of different ones. Have a shop install them for you and maybe find a shop near you who specializes in Lexus vehicles.
$555 lmao. Just leave the dealership, like now....
Old 02-08-18, 11:52 AM
eman27
Driver School Candidate

3mm for the brake pads is at the replacement threshold. Not a have to mind you, so don't feel forced into now, but very soon should have the pads replaced - do you have the f sport? The brake pads on the f sport wear much faster than non. The $555 price for pad replacement sounds insane to me - are they replacing the rotors too? Either way, I'd get quotes from other dealers or other shops for the brake service they are recommending.
yah i have 2017 200t fsport. if you have a min, can you explain to me why the f-sport version wears out faster?
Old 02-08-18, 12:37 PM
eman27
Driver School Candidate

3mm for the brake pads is at the replacement threshold. Not a have to mind you, so don't feel forced into now, but very soon should have the pads replaced - do you have the f sport? The brake pads on the f sport wear much faster than non.

The $555 price for pad replacement sounds insane to me - are they replacing the rotors too? Either way, I'd get quotes from other dealers or other shops for the brake service they are recommending.
okay just confirmed. the $555 is price for shim kit, pads and rotors.
Old 02-08-18, 01:37 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

okay just confirmed. the $555 is price for shim kit, pads and rotors.
If you don't care about a Lexus dealer maintaining your car, then try an independent shop. At 20K miles, your rotors shouldn't need replacing, only resurfacing (unless F sport pads tear up rotors--i wouldn't know since i have a base). For reference, O'reilly charges $10-20 per rotor to resurface. eBay sells OEM brake pads for $65 per front set and $65 per rear set. You shouldn't need to replace shims at 20K miles either. But if you do, they are probably only a few bucks if they don't already come with the pads.

If you buy the parts yourself and take it to an independent and have them resurface your rotors, you can probably save a couple hundred dollars off of that $555 estimate.
Old 02-08-18, 02:57 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by CLUM
If you don't care about a Lexus dealer maintaining your car, then try an independent shop. At 20K miles, your rotors shouldn't need replacing, only resurfacing (unless F sport pads tear up rotors--i wouldn't know since i have a base). For reference, O'reilly charges $10-20 per rotor to resurface. eBay sells OEM brake pads for $65 per front set and $65 per rear set. You shouldn't need to replace shims at 20K miles either. But if you do, they are probably only a few bucks if they don't already come with the pads.

If you buy the parts yourself and take it to an independent and have them resurface your rotors, you can probably save a couple hundred dollars off of that $555 estimate.
I would be curious about this, as I have 16k miles and will be doing my next service in 1500 miles or so. My pads didn't need replacing at 12,500 (did the 15k a little early), but would want to look for pads/rotors for the next one.
Old 02-09-18, 12:11 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

20k Service is overprice. I regret taking it to the dealer. I was told that it was around $220 and ended up being $320.

All it is an oil change and a filter change, that's it, nothing more. You can get just change the oil from dealers for $100 and change your own filter for less than $100.
Old 02-09-18, 12:17 PM
eman27
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jkonquer
20k Service is overprice. I regret taking it to the dealer. I was told that it was around $220 and ended up being $320.

All it is an oil change and a filter change, that's it, nothing more. You can get just change the oil from dealers for $100 and change your own filter for less than $100.

after price matching and whatever other discount they gave me. i ended up paying total of $242. but yeah, i think after this ill definitely learn how to do things myself.
Old 02-09-18, 01:45 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

after price matching and whatever other discount they gave me. i ended up paying total of $242. but yeah, i think after this ill definitely learn how to do things myself.
it costs me less to service my mercedes.
Old 02-09-18, 02:00 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Wow, $242 for the oil / filter change and the brake service?
I'm almost positive this price does not reflect changing the brake pads and service. Especially since he was quoted $555. He probably decided to hold off on it.
Old 02-09-18, 02:23 PM
eman27
Driver School Candidate

..."almost positive"... ;-) no, I agree, you're probably right, but wanted to make sure. enman27? Was the $242 just for the 20k mile service? If yes, glad you at least got them down from the $300+ price.

yah i decided to hold off on the brake pads. no freaken way im dropping $555... i called my uncle and he said to just buy the parts and he will have one of his buddies install it for me.

the $242 was for the scheduled maintence check up plus oil change, air filter, tire rotation stuff etc etc.

just wondering, do you guys do everything yourself? when do you guys actually go to the dealer for maintenance?

Quick Reply: 20k service for IS