RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Non resonated Apexi/Borla exhaust question..

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-18, 11:28 PM
RCF303
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Non resonated Apexi/Borla exhaust question..

Hello just got a RCF, I'm trying to decide on a exhaust and from what I read the Non resonated Apexi exhaust and the Borla both seem to be the loudest for price out of the exhausts under 2k. I've watched plenty of videos on the Borla and I like the sound but I read at low revs and gears it's not as loud as the non resonated Apexi. I'm more of a city driver and I'm looking for the loudest exhaust out of the two, I read one guy sold his non resonated Apexi because it was to loud and didn't recommend it for long drives as it got to him after a 150 mile trip but he would recommend it as a non daily city driver since it had a great loud sound. There isn't tomuch I can find on the Apexi besides a couple video clips so any extra info on the two is appreciated from owners of both the non resonated Apexi and Borla positives and negatives, or even anyone who has heard the two and can compare them thanks.

Last edited by RCF303; 02-06-18 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Left out a word
Old 02-07-18, 05:47 AM
luislopezt
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I too removed the non resonated APEXi, because it was too loud ( just replaced the mid pipe with the resonated APEXi) . it is louder than the Borla in my opinion
Old 02-07-18, 10:17 AM
RCF303
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by luislopezt
I too removed the non resonated APEXi, because it was too loud ( just replaced the mid pipe with the resonated APEXi) . it is louder than the Borla in my opinion
Thanks for the response Luis, why didn't you like it being that loud or you didn't like the sound It produced? Or just at the start up it was to loud? Was it annoyingly loud like unbarable just on long trips in the highway? How about driving in the city when driving under 40mph? I'm looking for a exhaust that even when driving through a parking lot people can hear it growling not just when I punch the gas and get it up to high revs when I'm shifting.
Old 02-07-18, 10:28 AM
luislopezt
Driver

the sound of it was not bad, just too loud to drive around, my wife did not like it and got complains from the neighbors. it was extremely loud at start up, loud at low speeds, and a little better at highway speeds and it really got annoying after a while!!!
Old 02-07-18, 10:36 AM
luislopezt
Driver

you have to also remember it is just a matter of opinion!
Old 02-07-18, 10:44 AM
RCF303
Driver School Candidate

the sound of it was not bad, just too loud to drive around, my wife did not like it and got complains from the neighbors. it was extremely loud at start up, loud at low speeds, and a little better at highway speeds and it really got annoying after a while!!!
Ok thanks I appreciate it, sounds like the exhaust for me, I like a loud start up, I'd rather be on the louder side and make my money count.
Old 02-07-18, 07:23 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Let me know when you're ready Daniel!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 02-07-18, 08:24 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

With the Borla anything above idling....... people will hear your car for sure.

Last weekend I was turning right off a main 4 lane road into a two lane with McDonald's on my right and a shopping plaza on my left. It was at around 630pm on a Saturday night so it was crowded. I turned off into the shopping plaza. About an hour later I ran into a friend who told me he was at the McDonald's drive through wait to order and he heard my Lexus across the street turning into the shopping center. He said right after I made the turn my tail pipes were facing McDonald's and as I continued into the shopping center parking lot the exhaust note got louder. It was a crowded parking lot, so I could not have gone more than 25 mph......even with that low speed, he heard my Borla from across the parking lot and the two lane street!!!

Originally Posted by RCF303
Thanks for the response Luis, why didn't you like it being that loud or you didn't like the sound It produced? Or just at the start up it was to loud? Was it annoyingly loud like unbarable just on long trips in the highway? How about driving in the city when driving under 40mph? I'm looking for a exhaust that even when driving through a parking lot people can hear it growling not just when I punch the gas and get it up to high revs when I'm shifting.
The following users liked this post:
Meraki Autoworks (02-08-18)
Old 02-08-18, 09:12 AM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus

Last weekend I was turning right off a main 4 lane road into a two lane with McDonald's on my right and a shopping plaza on my left. It was at around 630pm on a Saturday night so it was crowded. I turned off into the shopping plaza. About an hour later I ran into a friend who told me he was at the McDonald's drive through wait to order and he heard my Lexus across the street turning into the shopping center. He said right after I made the turn my tail pipes were facing McDonald's and as I continued into the shopping center parking lot the exhaust note got louder. It was a crowded parking lot, so I could not have gone more than 25 mph......even with that low speed, he heard my Borla from across the parking lot and the two lane street!!!
Haha being the driver, you definitely get used to it and think the exhaust isn't that loud. The first week I had it I thought I'd have people shouting at me for being so loud just at 3k rpm but it definitely doesn't feel that way anymore.

I then asked my friend to drive past me on the sidewalk hitting 6k rpm and now I'm not sure if there's anything louder than my car in my small city.
Old 02-08-18, 11:28 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus

Wait til you get headers.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 02-09-18, 01:07 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

With headers....that will be WAY TOO LOUD for me. I still wanna be able to do conference calls via the car's Bluetooth system. Not to mention everytime I start my RCF it is VERY loud!!! Any louder I'm gonna be banned from my condo HOA where I keep my RCF. A couple of years ago a Subaru WXR STI (whatever the model was.....it was a highly modified 4wheel drive rally car with the big wing in the back) got banned from the HOA due to its aftermarket exhaust that was too loud.

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Wait til you get headers.

-Josh
Old 02-09-18, 03:05 AM
RCF303
Driver School Candidate

Well I pulled the trigger on the non resonated Apexi exhaust after all what's life without risk!..once I get it I'll let everyone know of it exceed my expections making it to loud and annoying or just right. If anyone has any info on how to potentially make it less loud without wasting more money buying the resonated mid pipe to fix my mistake I'll keep that in mind just in case lol

Last edited by RCF303; 02-09-18 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-09-18, 06:21 AM
luislopezt
Driver

Originally Posted by RCF303
Well I pulled the trigger on the non resonated Apexi exhaust after all what's life without risk!<br />..once I get it I'll let everyone know of it exceed my expections making it to loud and annoying or just right. If anyone has any info on how to potentially make it less loud without wasting more money buying the resonated midpipe to fix my mistake I'll keep that in mind just in case lol
you can always use the oem mid pipe!
Old 02-09-18, 12:01 PM
RCF303
Driver School Candidate

you can always use the oem mid pipe!
I don't think that ever crossed my mind thanks I'll keep that in mind, it's one of the things I read about Apexi vs Borla is you can change out the sections
Old 02-11-18, 05:51 PM
2Insane
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

If it's too loud for you, I'll buy it from you. I have the Apexi exhaust already and love it.

Quick Reply: Non resonated Apexi/Borla exhaust question..