SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Wash Car Issue with keyless entry, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-18, 05:50 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Wash Car Issue with keyless entry, HELP!

Hi All---

Ok started a new thread since I have not ready anywhere on the internet my issue of my Keyless entry issues with remote not being able to lock or unlock car after washing my 2003 SC430.

As mentioned in my daunting post's on trying to figure out why my wireless entry stops working.

So FINALLY, I have narrowed the problem to Water after washing my car

The big question, water is making something short? Water somewhere kills wireless access to car! Both door actuators have been replaced, still same issue, wash car, finish drying car, remote stops working. Note: I was car with low pressure 2-bucket method. Yesterday, I washed the car at a different location to eliminate my prior thought it was wireless interference, that has now been eliminated and for sure it is water causing keyless remote to fail!

Here is what I did, there is no water in the Car, no water in trunk, I checked the drain plugs on doors, they are clear of water. I did notice that after opening and closing Driver Window, it appeared to have water after moving the window up and down 3 times, the passenger window was not bringing up any water drops on Glass.

I do not wash the engine!

So what do you think water is making my keyless remote stop working?????

After I loose wireless, 22-24 hours later the wireless starts working again. So something is doing out, I believe?

Appreciate any feedback! One last note, for some reason when I drive in rain..... I have never had problem with wireless stop working, Weird

Thank you!!!
Bob
Old 02-04-18, 10:03 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Just tried again

Now it has been over 24 hours and remote wireless is still not active, in the past, it always came back after 22-24 hours! I checked resting voltage, 12.4 Volts. The battery was changed and recently checked, and tested very good!

Normally I plug my car into the trickle charger, yesterday after putting car back in the Garage, I did not put the triple charger on!

So I guess I am going to now plug the charger back on and see if that allows the remote feature to work again? I here some cars do not like voltage drops?

B-
Old 02-04-18, 10:07 AM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

What about the transmitter in the remote, has it been checked, that is battery and/or moisture?
Old 02-04-18, 10:08 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Can't make it up!

So as soon as I just updated my post about battery, I go to Garage and now the wireless is working again, 5 min after my post, LOL
Old 02-04-18, 10:10 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
What about the transmitter in the remote, has it been checked, that is battery and/or moisture?
Yes Sir,

The Dealer recently replaced, also I replaced with a new Cell that is good till 2026! Also the other remote is like new with a new battery also, it also did not work!

So hope we figure this out since i drives me crazy!

Thanks!
B-
Old 02-04-18, 11:29 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

Please read this, esp my posts...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...ghtness-4.html

turns out water was getting into the passenger fuse box. There is a grommet on the firewall behind the battery in the firewall that leads into the cabin foot well. I have my 12v power wire to my amp and subwoofer running through grommet and along side the passenger kick panel fuse box. Water would channel down that wire and drip onto the fuses. I dried it out and closed the grommet better. never any problems now. Lmk if this seems to be your problem also
The following users liked this post:
hoffy5 (02-05-18)
Old 02-05-18, 02:14 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Hi Shawn,

I will for sure check it out! Hope you nailed it, will keep you posted! So~~ to re-confirm, the water would get down to the passenger fusebox! How much water did you see? I guess it wold only take a few drops to cause the issue!
Did you have to take the battery out to get to Seal/Grommet? Wha did you do to make Seal tighter, put some caulking?

Thanks!!
Bob
Old 02-05-18, 10:13 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

...hopefully Shawn will reply soon, I know he's pretty busy with school & internship, we'll actually have to call him Dr. Shawn !!!.....I was around when he was trying to figure this out & if I remember correctly, the water was seeping in between the door & fender. There is a drainage somewhere near the windshield/front fender/door and it trickles downward.....NOW the part a can't remember totally, I'm not sure if he ran his wiring through a factory hole , but the water would run down his wiring into the fuse box. So if this is your issue, you may have a bad/loose/missing grommet that is allowing water to come in there. Is there any fuses that would operate the locking system in that fuse box ? His issue would be after a good rain and the car was outside or if he was washing it.......hope this helps some
Old 02-05-18, 10:56 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Yes to Fuses

Hi Texsexlex,

Yes to the fuses-----Remote keyless lock system, Dome lights, and AC Controls, when the wireless stopped working, dome light flickered, ac controls light on Display would turn on, also one time my Nav Door would open and close by itself!
All this happens when I go to lock or unlock car with wireless! Then the above would happen! And again, every time I wash my car!!! Also note, Car is complete off, no key!

Thanks for helping and bringing me up to speed, Dr. Shawn for sure!

Hope I find it soon, I will owe him very much!

thank you!
Bob
Old 02-05-18, 10:38 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

.....it sounds like you might be having the same issue.......I would try running some water for a few minutes, in intervals, then check the fuse box area. If it is getting wet, you might be able to see where it's coming from, that's what we did in Shawn's case
Old 02-06-18, 06:32 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Shawn, Is this the Grommet your talking about?

Hi Shawn,

Attached is a picture I found on the internet, not my car, however, I do have this on my SC430. It is large! It sits left of Battery, under the Alarm Horn? Should I pull it off? Or just reseat it?

Yesterday, I also checked the Fuse Box, no Water since it has been 2 days since I washed Car. I also checked the Boot between the Passenger Door, The boot connecting to the Door appeared to be not seated properly, the other side of that curved Boot connects to the Body of the car, Directly behind that Rubber Grommet is the Passenger Fuse Box!!!! I also made sure it was seated properly, While there, I sprayed that entire L Rubber Connector with 3M, 303 Aerospace Protectant to give it more elasticity.

Now I need to Inspect the Large Grommet near the Battery and assume do the same! Then Water Test!

Thanks!
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Wash Car Issue with keyless entry, HELP!-screen-shot-2018-02-06-at-9.09.23-am.png  
Old 02-07-18, 03:13 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Here is what I did

Here is what I did to inspect the Grommet/Boot that connects at the Firewall on Passenger side, left of Battery. The hole, has a slight flange about 1/8 of an inch on the Firewall body/metal. I looked at mine and the Rubber did not seat flat, it was not even/flush attached all around the flange.

I am not sure if the Rubber grommet sits in the Flanger or is it suppose to be pulled over the Flange??

Tried for 30 minutes and could not get it to seat on the Flange opening! So next thing I did was put Dupont Krytox Grease and Dupoint Krytox oil on the Hose/Boot to make it more pliable. Krytox also repeals water! I seated my Rubber Seal inside the Flange and then the Seal was flat and perfect round seated inside Firewall. I pulled and pushed on the Seal/Hose, the connection appears and feels to be very tight and flush!

Have yet to water test, and hoping this is the proper way to install?

If someone has a picture of their connection, It would help me feel better that mine is the proper way to be on the car. If you could post Pic, I would be most gracious!

Thanks!!
Bob
Old 02-07-18, 04:46 AM
hoffy5
Pole Position

Default Here is the Pics of my Car

Hi All-Here is the Pics of my car in question!! Sorry one is blurred but I believe you can see the difference. Again I believe I may have fixed the issue? I tried to see if the Gasket could fit over the Flange, but it would not go!

Thanks!
Bob
Attached Thumbnails Wash Car Issue with keyless entry, HELP!-img_3037.jpg   Wash Car Issue with keyless entry, HELP!-img_3038.jpg  
JDaveSC430 (02-07-18)
Old 02-07-18, 02:29 PM
VVTiBob

Received 265 Likes on 201 Posts

I took a look at mine today and compared it with the photo of yours. My rubber grommet is completely outside the firewall opening, seated on the flange. If I were to equate it to something it would be a lid on a glass jar completely covering the extruded flange. Yours, from the photo, looks like it’s been pushed partially through the firewall.
hoffy5 (02-08-18)
Old 02-07-18, 02:29 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

My issue was occuring at the grommet shown above in Hoffy5's photo. I used black gorilla tape at the time which has worked for the last few years, but I suppose I should change it to black silicone caulking sometime. I have my red 12v power wire running through a slit i cut into the grommet, and thus water was running down that wire and trailed across the top of the passenger kick panel fuse box. Never had any real collection or puddle, but def felt some condensation in the box. Thus I dried it out, sealed the grommet, and never had a problem since.
GmanSC (02-20-18)

Quick Reply: Wash Car Issue with keyless entry, HELP!