RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Replaced door actuator, now I can't lock by hand

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-18, 04:06 PM
jonathanrn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced door actuator, now I can't lock by hand

SOLVED: See #9 in this thread for what finally did it....

This is a strange one. I replaced the door lock actuator to the rear passenger-side door. With everything back in place, I can lock and unlock the door using the automatic lock/unlock button. The weird thing is, when I lock the door with the automatic lock, I can freely push the lock on the rear door from unlock to lock and back. No problem. But when I press the unlock button on either front door, all of a sudden I can't get the rear lock to click over by hand. I can push it all the way to the lock position, but it just doesn't 'click' over. If I lock the door again using the button, I can manually lock and unlock the rear door again. What the?!?1 :-)

I hope that made sense!

-Jonathan

Last edited by jonathanrn; 01-30-18 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-23-18, 04:41 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Thumb switch to the actual lock is by cable in casing. Make sure the cable is not kinked. Next make sure it seated properly at the lock end and at the handle end. There is adjustment at the thumb end, but make sure there is no resistance .. the **** should move smoothly without a bind.

Also make sure the cable is routed properly. All bends should be smooth and sweeping.

Salim
Old 01-23-18, 10:10 PM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

First, is the "locking/unlocking" that occurs when you press the lock button actually locking and unlocking the door?

Did you take a photo of the cable routing before you removed the bad actuator, and completely reproduce the routing when you installed the new one?

It sounds like you will have to remove the door cover and look at how your cables are installed, and operate the lock and watch what happens with the cover off to see if you can understand the problem.

If that doesn't work, you will have to remove the other rear door cover and see what is different from the one you repaired.
Old 01-24-18, 03:30 PM
b2884987
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey there! I actually recently changed my door actuator too (still trying to figure out the black adhesive used for the plastic sheet). Make sure the cables and wires are in the right place, and that none of them are bent. If you are unsure, you can open the other side of the door and see how is it assembled. Good luck and ask again if you need help!
Old 01-25-18, 06:25 AM
Lexmus
Intermediate

Received 69 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by b2884987
Hey there! I actually recently changed my door actuator too (still trying to figure out the black adhesive used for the plastic sheet).
Closest thing I have found is 3M 08578 Strip Calk
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-27-18, 09:22 AM
xiang
Driver School Candidate

You'll have to take it apart again. A cable or rod isn't right somewhere. I bet if you just disassemble it and carefully reassemble it again, it'll work.

I got a lot of practice on mine because I ordered online and they kept sending me the wrong part (took the door and mechanism apart 3 times - after the second time I took a photo of the actuator to make sure it matched up before I took the door back off!).
Old 01-30-18, 09:52 AM
jonathanrn
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for their responses. I should have done this earlier, but I shot a quick video demonstrating the problem. I took everything out of the door and it all looks right... I think. No kinks or anything. Can anyone see the problem?

Thanks!!!

Old 01-30-18, 10:17 AM
jonathanrn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jonathanrn
Thanks everyone for their responses. I should have done this earlier, but I shot a quick video demonstrating the problem. I took everything out of the door and it all looks right... I think. No kinks or anything. Can anyone see the problem?

Thanks!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O9LTgGj8h4

I think I found the problem. The actual actuator may need to be replaced again. When I lock the door with the button, the white arm attached to the actuator has full range of motion, but when I unlock it using the button, that white arm is stuck and won't swing. It's repeatable. Is there any way I can fix it without ordering a new one?
Old 01-30-18, 11:01 AM
jonathanrn
Driver School Candidate

SOLVED!

WD40 to the rescue. I squirted a little bit of WD40 into the space where the beige and white pieces meet and I held the rocker in the 'open' position with my thumb. I locked and unlocked the door using the button about ten times and it then played with it. It now works properly! Hurray! Thanks for telling me to take the whole assembly apart because that's how I diagnosed the malfunction. I kept testing it while I put everything back together and it still works after everything has been reassembled.

Thank you all!

-Jonathan