RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Will dealer let you test drive the new car before signing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-18, 01:13 PM
dchan865
Pit Crew

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Will dealer let you test drive the new car before signing?

Hey guys, quick question here. I never test driver the exact car before I take delivery of it and never had any issue. Hearing about the infamous vibration noise issue, I am a bit concern. If I decide to get a 2018 model, can you actually test drive the car(of course drive it for few miles) you intend to get before signing?
Thanks.
Old 01-23-18, 01:14 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

Absolutely!
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

I've test driven a bunch of cars with no intention of buying.
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

You should be able to as I have seen people do it at my dealership. It's not very common though. Usually they will take a demo car.
Old 01-23-18, 01:34 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

I would never purchase a vehicle that i didn't test drive the exact vehicle I was buying.. I can understand them limiting the test drive if you are not committing to purchase. But if you are committing and have chosen a specific vehicle on their lot, then I would demand a test drive of that vehicle before signing anything.

I've had dealerships tell me that the vehicle I choose is too difficult to get to because it is parked in the back or whatever (this happened when we purchased my wife's 2007 Camry Hybrid) and offer for me to test drive a "similar" vehicle until they can get it out, and they want to do all the paperwork while the car is being retrieved, but I always decline, if I can't test drive the vehicle I am taking home then I am not signing anything.
Old 01-23-18, 01:41 PM
minusplus
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I usually "drive like I stole it" during test drives. And always ask for a car in inventory and low mileage.
Old 01-23-18, 01:44 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by mjeds
I would never purchase a vehicle that i didn't test drive the exact vehicle I was buying.. I can understand them limiting the test drive if you are not committing to purchase. But if you are committing and have chosen a specific vehicle on their lot, then I would demand a test drive of that vehicle before signing anything.

I've had dealerships tell me that the vehicle I choose is too difficult to get to because it is parked in the back or whatever (this happened when we purchased my wife's 2007 Camry Hybrid) and offer for me to test drive a "similar" vehicle until they can get it out, and they want to do all the paperwork while the car is being retrieved, but I always decline, if I can't test drive the vehicle I am taking home then I am not signing anything.
I would do the same if I were purchasing a new car. It blows me away how many people I see that don't do that. They just drive a demo car, pick a color, and then buy it. No test drive or anything. It's crazy to me.
Old 01-23-18, 02:13 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by minusplus
I usually "drive like I stole it" during test drives. And always ask for a car in inventory and low mileage.
which is fine if you are not committing to purchase I guess.. Typically I will rent the vehicle I am interested in from Enterprise or Hertz and drive it for a few days, which works for the run of the mill models, not so much for special models like the RCF or GSF.
Old 01-23-18, 03:23 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 466 Likes on 355 Posts

Similar story....stopped at an Oldsmobile dealer(long time ago...maybe 1986?)and said my wife and I will be back on Sat(this was on Wed) to drive that silver Delta you got in the middle of the lot. Called him Fri to remind him. Sat, wife and I arrive and the silver Delta is STILL in the middle of the lot. "Has a dead battery, why not drive this other one....?". That's all my wife had to hear....dead battery. Went to the Chevy dealer across town and bought an S-10 Blazer!
Old 01-23-18, 03:42 PM
minusplus
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

which is fine if you are not committing to purchase I guess.. Typically I will rent the vehicle I am interested in from Enterprise or Hertz and drive it for a few days, which works for the run of the mill models, not so much for special models like the RCF or GSF.
I kind of meant what I said as a joke, but I need to get a good feeling for the car. Even when purchasing a car, I never bought the actual car I test drove. I always ask for something in back or inventory.
Old 01-23-18, 05:26 PM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

I was given a rx450 for a overnight test drive, to see about the platform.
turns out that and a 25$ test drive Visa did me in, lol
Old 01-23-18, 05:54 PM
Jagnut
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would never buy a car if I can't test drive it multiple times.

cherrs..
Old 01-23-18, 06:06 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,350 Likes on 1,694 Posts

I test drove a demo to start then chose the one I wanted - it was in their inventory but 25 miles away in a storage lot. I told them to bring it over so I could test drive that one. It arrived a few hours later - took it out for a spin and signed the papers that night.
Old 01-23-18, 08:07 PM
goatee
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I would say that if the Rx you have chosen does not drive to your satisfaction for any of the reasons you have mentioned such as droning or hesitation then do not sign the papers. Walk away and tell them to call you when and if the vehicle is fixed to your liking. Then and only then should you accept the vehicle as your own. Do not accept promises only true results. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
ravenuer (01-24-18)
Old 01-24-18, 10:58 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Should be no problem as long as its not a rare, limited edition car like a LFA for example...

Quick Reply: Will dealer let you test drive the new car before signing?