RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Cost to replace wheel bearing at dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-18, 11:36 AM
tman9999
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Cool Cost to replace wheel bearing at dealer?

Hey all - my 2011 RX350 has about 51k miles on it and has been making high-speed rotational noise up front since I took ownership back in June. Just took it to Lexus service and was told left front wheel bearing is bad and needs to be replaced. $930. Yikes.

Any thoughts on this? Seems high to me. Not sure I want to tackle myself (a buddy does have a press, so technically I probably could do it). If I could get it done for $500 or less I'd pay someone. Maybe check an independent service garage? Any reason not to?

Thanks for any info/tips.

Tom
Old 01-22-18, 12:30 PM
paperthin
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

We took it to the dealer also for the very same procedure. Normally I do a wheel bearing assembly in my garage at home, but I learned that you basically have to take the enter steering knuckle off and press out the bearing race opposed to a $200-300 bearing hub assembly. We paid just under $1k CAD This was before I for a garage i can trust. Take this for what it is worth.
The following users liked this post:
tman9999 (01-22-18)
Old 01-22-18, 02:00 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

It is about 2-3 hrs of labor. $150 parts is what I estimate.

On SC I did the labor and bought the bearing and took the unattached assembly to a an axle repair shop. They pressed out the old and pressed in the the new for $40. Incidentally a chevy dealer nearby was using the same shop to change their customer's bearings too.

So if you are willing to do amok wrenching you can save a lot. You really dont need a Lexus tech. I did have the torque specs, so it was a job well done.

$500 is a good estimate, but the trick would be finding a mechanic you can trust.

[Incidentally, I prefer changing the bearings in pairs].

Salim
Old 01-22-18, 04:19 PM
tman9999
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah
It is about 2-3 hrs of labor. $150 parts is what I estimate.

On SC I did the labor and bought the bearing and took the unattached assembly to a an axle repair shop. They pressed out the old and pressed in the the new for $40. Incidentally a chevy dealer nearby was using the same shop to change their customer's bearings too.

So if you are willing to do amok wrenching you can save a lot. You really dont need a Lexus tech. I did have the torque specs, so it was a job well done.

$500 is a good estimate, but the trick would be finding a mechanic you can trust.

[Incidentally, I prefer changing the bearings in pairs].

Salim
Thanks for the info, Salim. At what mileage did you do your bearings on the SC? How did you determine they needed changing? Was it due to usual wear and tear, or did you traumatize your front end somehow?

Thanks for any input.
Old 01-22-18, 04:21 PM
tman9999
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by paperthin
We took it to the dealer also for the very same procedure. Normally I do a wheel bearing assembly in my garage at home, but I learned that you basically have to take the enter steering knuckle off and press out the bearing race opposed to a $200-300 bearing hub assembly. We paid just under $1k CAD This was before I for a garage i can trust. Take this for what it is worth.
Same questions for you, Paperthin, that I asked of Salim: how did you know they needed replacing? Did anything happen to the front end that would have caused them to go bad? What mileage?

I found an indie shop that is very well regarded locally that said they'll do it for less than half what dealer quoted.
Old 01-22-18, 05:41 PM
salimshah

It takes a lot of diagnosis (elimination) to narrow it down to the bearing or very quickly by run out dial measure. Lot of times tire noise is incorrectly attributed to the bearing. Shops at times have a jig to study the spinning wheel. In any case the problem has been diagnosed by competent mechanic.

Lexus uses ball bearings and they should last 200k miles. If the seal is compromised and junk gets in, the life can be drastically reduced. Roller bearings can outlast the roller bearings, but they must be set properly (too tight and they burn off, too loose they were out the race).

Last word, dont skimp on the bearing. You can get fairly cheap ones, but the OEM are going to be expensive. Take the vin number to make sure you purchase the latest recommended one.

Salim

PS: had a rotating rumble which stayed there after exchanging wheels. Lexus switched the part number [quality issue I think] and I replaced them with the new. 90k with 12yrs.

Last edited by salimshah; 01-22-18 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Added PS
Old 01-22-18, 11:46 PM
salimshah

Forgot to mention that you would need wheel alignment afterwards ... Add another 100-150 to the bill.

So make sure the indi is offering with or without wheel alignment. I would ask the dealer the same question.

Salim
Old 01-24-18, 09:01 PM
Wunker
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have had a good experience / fair price at Christian Brothers Automotive

I had a L front unit bearing done on a 2010 RX 450h in 2016. A Christian Brothers franchise here in Billings, MT did the bearing, changed engine coolant and drained/filled the CVT for $780. For those not familiar with CB they’re big in North TX but starting to sell franchises around the nation. Just traded the 450h for a ‘15 RX 350 so was “kicking tires” in the forum for the newer RX and thought I would add my two cents here.