LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Best year for this gen?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-18, 10:05 AM
9000revs
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Best year for this gen?

I own a 2000 LS400 and looking for a newer gen to add.

Thanks,

Abhi
Old 01-21-18, 11:11 AM
9000revs
Pole Position

Common issues observed?

Are they as reliable as the first gens?
Old 01-21-18, 12:19 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

The one you own is the best year.

I'm only somewhat kidding.

I wasn't a Lexus/Toyota person before this car. I turn 50 this year, have owned two Dodges, three Cadillacs, two Mercedes, and some other stuff mixed in, however, never a Toyota of any sort.

In fact, I dragged my Lovely Wife with me to look at a second 2004 Mercedes CL55 (that's the real AMG) in a neighboring city, and I agreed to stop and look at an '08 LS 460 L. I was somewhat reluctant to do this, because I wanted to achieve a few things with this automotive purchase.

More than 400 HP
A 2-door luxury car
Hardtop is a bonus
It retailed for six digits when new

The Mercedes met all of these, remarkably, but yeah, okay, we'll look at the Lexus.

Mind you, my wife has had her 2002 RX300 since 2004. She's more than happy with it.

I'd looked up specs on it before we left the house, and as a hard-core gearhead, I was quite surprised this car flew under my radar. Sub-six second 0-60 time?! Whoa, wait...a long-wheelbase version???? Oh, my.

Ten minutes into the test drive (we were alone), I said to my wife, "where's the nearest Wells Fargo?"

She said, "what? Really?"

I said, "really".

She had a comeback I won't post here, but yeah, really.

Sure, there are going to be issues, like with any man-made item with thousands of parts. This car happens to be known for front control arm bush issues, and the early ones have interior vinyl which goes a bit fly-paper-ey. My 2008 suffers from this. And there's the brake controller for some. People worry about air suspension, but I'm unconcerned, even though, when I got mine, it didn't work (disconnected connector under the rear parcel shelf).

Are they as reliable as the first generation? We won't know for several more years, but there are some around nearing 300K miles. No timing belt worries, which is a big thing for me. The car is sophisticated, yes, but there isn't a whole lot on it, I don't think, which wasn't on the 430, even if it may have been an earlier version of said items.

There were a few minor recalls, so most issues on early cars were rectified, though yes, there are some out there with outstanding problems. Lexus' site has the functionality of being able to look up all dealer-performed work by using the VIN, so if one catches your eye, look it up and see what's officially been done, or not done, to it.

In fact, just last night, I mentioned to my wife there are times when I'm oddly concerned about it being totaled by some idiot, and I'll not find another like it. I know I can, but it's one of the VERY few vehicles which, if something catastrophic happened to it, I'd go find another one.

My apologies for going on, but this car is much like the '89 Mercedes 420 SEL I used to have (in the mid-'00s). Except for a few things which may affect one or two years, there isn't really much of an advantage for any year over any other. Shop for the newest you can afford, equipped as you want!

For example, I wanted a LWB one, Levinson, air suspension, and every single possible goody I could have. Mine doesn't have the upgraded leather/headliner or any rear seat upgrades, but I'm quite happy with the sport suspension/brakes and everything else I definitely wanted.

Whereabouts in Texas are you?
The following 3 users liked this post by mckellyb:
1WILLY1 (02-01-20), DavidinCT (02-03-20), xfea (01-21-18)
Old 01-21-18, 12:24 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

GREAT post Kelly. That was a fun read. As for reliabilty...my 08 with 210k kms, (130k miles +/-?) has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Water pump (50 bucks and diy), control arm bushings and mufflers. That's it.
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (01-21-18)
Old 01-21-18, 12:26 PM
tps3443
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m curious also, were looking to buy a 2007 LS460 tomorrow, it has 211K miles. The car is super clean, and there was not an oil change skipped on the carfax with over 35 service records available. The guy just drove a lot!

Its so modern looking, i don’t think someone would think it had more than 60k miles on it based on condition, and drivability.

id think the LS460 would last longer..I’ve seen so many LS430’s stepping in to the 500K range. Proving just AS RELIABLE and/ OR more reliable than a LS400. So the LS460 is most likely a 500,000 mile car also! Only time will tell.

They are just not old enough to know yet, but I’m not scared to give a 200+k LS460 a good solid chance.

My wife will drive it DAILY, so I’d like her in something reliable, safe, and modern styling. I personally love love the LS400/LS430 looks. But she does not, so LS460 it is and she loves the styling and space!

Last edited by tps3443; 01-21-18 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 02:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Having driven all three refresh cycles of the LS, IMHO the 13-17 is the best iteration. Best interior, best tech, everything sorted out, etc. All depends on your budget.

Is it as reliable as an LS400? I would expect so. The 400s had timing belts which were expensive to replace, alternator issues, starter issues all of which were expensive to solve. Issue on earlier 460s in control arms, but that can very easily be dealt with. Air suspension is a potential problematic spot but that was true for the 400 and 430 as well.
Old 01-21-18, 02:29 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

There are accounts of a few 500k LS460's here at CL. Some are also being used for chauffeur services and have racked up tons of miles without issue.
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (01-21-18)
Old 01-21-18, 03:10 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
GREAT post Kelly. That was a fun read. As for reliabilty...my 08 with 210k kms, (130k miles +/-?) has been the most reliable car I've ever owned. Water pump (50 bucks and diy), control arm bushings and mufflers. That's it.
Thanks a bunch! Yeah, it was one of those things...had I not both been there and been an active participant, I wouldn't believe it.

Oh, and we found a Wells Fargo on the test drive, moved money around, wrote the place a check for the completely fair asking price, and I drove it home.

I was quite serious about the CL55, but homeboy didn't call me back quickly enough, and on the first call, he was shifty about where, exactly, he was. I was trekking 50 miles to go see it, I want more than an exit on a freeway.

The CL55 is an amazing car, but for those who think the air suspension on the LS is an expensive risk, check out what it costs to fix the Mercedes SLS (self-leveling suspension, not the model).

What? It sprung a leak and burned up something? Hello five-digit repair bill! Seriously. I mean, yes, it's amazing (and hydraulic), but unlike our cars, to replace the SLS with springs/dampers/anti-roll bars requires dedication to parts hunting. Springs from this S-class, dampers which work in an E-class, anti-roll bars from this other specific year and model, but oh, yeah, need to make some things for that to work...

I'm dedicated, if I really like a vehicle, but I work for a living, too, and my backup ride is a '98 Grand Cherokee 5.9L. 11-13 MPG, and it's not gentle. Nice inside, but not gentle.

My LS history consisted of having ridden in the back seat of a '92, IIRC, LS 400 in 1993 to lunch and back. That's it, and it won me over. I even said to my wife after we arrived home, "this is as close to my 1973 Coupe DeVille as I'm going to get in 2016, and I'm happy you found it."

Wait, Chris...mufflers? Did they rust out or was it elective replacement? I put an alternator in mine, but it turned out the parasitic drain was my fault, 100%.

I now have a replacement for when this one needs a rebuild...probably ten years from now. Alternators/starters/water pumps/brakes/front-end/bushings, all that stuff is wear items in my book. Every car will need them replaced, at some point, purely due to age/use.
Old 01-21-18, 04:04 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Wait, Chris...mufflers? Did they rust out or was it elective replacement?
Yep. Here's the link to that thread with pics of the rotten muffs : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-mufflers.html

I couldn't figure out why I was getting such a bad buzzing sound from the exhaust, so just for fun, I removed the mufflers (I also wanted to hear what the car sounded like without them lol). As soon as I started removing the one muffler, I heard water sloshing about. I thought, "what the F***?". Anyway, they were both rotten. 400 dollars later at the local exhaust shop, I was out the door.

Last edited by roadfrog; 01-21-18 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 04:40 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Wow!

You must've liked a muffled vs. un-muffled sound...or did you put glass packs on it?

9000revs, sorry for the thread-jack.

edit: Chris, went and read your thread...salt is evil unless it's on food.

Last edited by mckellyb; 01-21-18 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 04:48 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb
Wow!

You must've liked a muffled vs. un-muffled sound...or did you put glass packs on it?

Ahhh - How nice - a LEXUS Bromance!

Last edited by xfea; 01-21-18 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-22-18, 06:02 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by xfea
Ahhh - How nice - a LEXUS Bromance!
Hehehe, funny.
Old 01-22-18, 06:42 AM
9000revs
Pole Position

Hmm, yeah

I'm in Austin, BTW

Originally Posted by mckellyb
Wow!

edit: Chris, went and read your thread...salt is evil unless it's on food.
Old 01-22-18, 06:44 AM
9000revs
Pole Position

Actually, the LS400 is even more reliable than a LS430 with much better materials. I have owned my LS400 for a while and have quite a few friends with LS430s, who always comment how the materials are so much better.

Originally Posted by tps3443
I’m curious also, were looking to buy a 2007 LS460 tomorrow, it has 211K miles. The car is super clean, and there was not an oil change skipped on the carfax with over 35 service records available. The guy just drove a lot!

Its so modern looking, i don’t think someone would think it had more than 60k miles on it based on condition, and drivability.

id think the LS460 would last longer..I’ve seen so many LS430’s stepping in to the 500K range. Proving just AS RELIABLE and/ OR more reliable than a LS400. So the LS460 is most likely a 500,000 mile car also! Only time will tell.

They are just not old enough to know yet, but I’m not scared to give a 200+k LS460 a good solid chance.

My wife will drive it DAILY, so I’d like her in something reliable, safe, and modern styling. I personally love love the LS400/LS430 looks. But she does not, so LS460 it is and she loves the styling and space!
Old 01-22-18, 07:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by 9000revs
Actually, the LS400 is even more reliable than a LS430 with much better materials. I have owned my LS400 for a while and have quite a few friends with LS430s, who always comment how the materials are so much better.
Having had both I don’t agree. My LS430 had big upgrades in interior materials inside vs my LS400, leather lower dash and console, suede headliner which the 400 didn’t have. Much better seats. Reliability also I can’t agree. The 430 rectified several of the common 400 issues. Leaky PS pumps, starter problems and epic replacement procedure, etc.

Quick Reply: Best year for this gen?