GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Seat Heater Buttons...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-18, 06:11 AM
obadea
Intermediate

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Seat Heater Buttons...

Does anyone know if the seat heating buttons from the 2015 (which added the auto feature) use the same wiring harness and diagram as the seat heating buttons from 2013? I can change to auto in 2013 using the Carista software, but it seems they have added that in the button directly. I would like to see if I can swap my 2013 buttons with 2015 and gain the auto feature via the buttons.
Attached Thumbnails Seat Heater Buttons...-seat-2013.jpg   Seat Heater Buttons...-seat-2013-1.jpg   Seat Heater Buttons...-seat-2015.jpg   Seat Heater Buttons...-seat-2015-1.jpg  
Old 01-21-18, 06:29 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

If my memory serves me well, the auto function in the 2013 gradually decreases the heaters until it shuts off. It is different than the newer models, which control the heated/ventilated seats depending on the ambient temp.
Old 01-21-18, 07:08 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

My 2014 has an auto feature that controls the seats based on ambient temp. I've experienced it starting out at 2 when I start the car, then decreasing to 1, then going back up to 2 when it got colder again in the car.
Old 01-21-18, 07:54 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by np20412
My 2014 has an auto feature that controls the seats based on ambient temp. I've experienced it starting out at 2 when I start the car, then decreasing to 1, then going back up to 2 when it got colder again in the car.
Yup! That's how the 2014 and newer work. With the 2013, the ventilated function will remain on whichever level you set it to. The heat will gradually decrease, unless you turn off the auto decrease setting using Carista.
Old 01-21-18, 09:47 AM
obadea
Intermediate

Mine has the luxury package and the seats decrease based on ambient temperate as well, but the only way to switch them between manual and auto is with the Carista app. I wanted to know if the buttons above that have the auto, would work and would give the ability to activate it from the buttons directly.
Old 01-22-18, 06:52 PM
porkchop
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Yup! That's how the 2014 and newer work. With the 2013, the ventilated function will remain on whichever level you set it to. The heat will gradually decrease, unless you turn off the auto decrease setting using Carista.
Wait... You're telling me theres a fix for the auto-off heated seats?! Literally the worst part of the GS350 imo lol. Anyone know if the auto-off is a safety feature, or just a "convenience" that they put in?
Old 01-22-18, 08:24 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by porkchop
Wait... You're telling me theres a fix for the auto-off heated seats?! Literally the worst part of the GS350 imo lol. Anyone know if the auto-off is a safety feature, or just a "convenience" that they put in?
Yup! When on the manual setting, the seat heaters will stay at the level chosen.
Old 01-22-18, 08:28 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Mine has never shut off from the selected level. Hell it even comes back on when I restart the car, although 99% of the time I usually shut all that stuff off before shutting the car down.

Never tried auto so not sure what that does.... seems like overkill unless auto can somehow heat the seats less than a 1...

-Mike
Old 01-23-18, 04:59 AM
obadea
Intermediate

When I first got my car, I was really confused about this. Here's what I have learned. Luxury package has a DIFFERENT Heating system, than the regular car. The luxury package monitors ambient temperature, has sensors for the sun shining on the car, humidity sensors, is connected to your memory seats, and will remember your temperature settings, etc. For the seat heaters, here's what I have noticed:

Regular Package
- They are on auto by default - can be turned to manual through the CARISTA app
- They are on a timer when in auto
- They will RESUME when you turn the car back ON.

Luxury Package (which is what I have)
- They are driven by the computer, not a timer, controlled by ambient temperature
- They will NOT RESUME when you turn the car back ON - REALLY ANNOYING
- If the outside temperature is < 37 degrees, and the car in in ECO mode, when they turn on when you remote start the car

The fundamental question is if the buttons from the 2014+ will work in the 2013, allowing us to switch from auto to manual without the CARISTA App.
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (01-23-18)
Old 01-23-18, 06:26 AM
porkchop
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would assume that since the computer in the 2013s already supports turning on/off the auto feature (albeit through the CARISTA app), that the 2015 hardware simply sends an additional parameter to the function that enables toggling the auto on/off setting via the seat heater buttons. Thats just my guess though.

Last edited by porkchop; 01-23-18 at 06:47 AM.
Old 01-23-18, 07:42 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by obadea
When I first got my car, I was really confused about this. Here's what I have learned. Luxury package has a DIFFERENT Heating system, than the regular car. The luxury package monitors ambient temperature, has sensors for the sun shining on the car, humidity sensors, is connected to your memory seats, and will remember your temperature settings, etc. For the seat heaters, here's what I have noticed:

Regular Package
- They are on a timer when in auto
- They will RESUME when you turn the car back ON.

Luxury Package (which is what I have)
- They are driven by the computer, not a timer, controlled by ambient temperature
- They will NOT RESUME when you turn the car back ON - REALLY ANNOYING
- If the outside temperature is < 37 degrees, and the car in in ECO mode, when they turn on when you remote start the car

The fundamental question is if the buttons from the 2014+ will work in the 2013, allowing us to switch from auto to manual without the CARISTA App.
Mine is an F Sport and has the auto setting tied to the climate settings, so that feature is not tied only to the Luxury Package. However, mine do not act the same as yours.

- I do not need CARISTA to set them to manual. I just use the switch to do that by selecting it out of AUTO.
- Mine are also controlled via temperature setting and not a timer, just like yours.
- Mine always resume wherever I left them when I turn the car on. I usually just leave them on AUTO and they'll still be on AUTO when I restart.
- Since I leave mine on AUTO all the time, they will come on (with either heating or venting) based on interior temp and the temp setting when I remote start it.

Mine is a 2015.
Old 01-23-18, 10:27 AM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I would assume that since the computer in the 2013s already supports turning on/off the auto feature (albeit through the CARISTA app), that the 2015 hardware simply sends an additional parameter to the function that enables toggling the auto on/off setting via the seat heater buttons. Thats just my guess though.
I've wondered about this as well. I have a 2013 and I hated the auto functionality, so I got Carista and set it to manual. I didn't want my seat heater level to go down by itself... when I have it on I usually want it hot, and the highest setting isn't really that hot.

However, I see that on the newer models you can leave your seat heater or ventilator on and it will automatically turn on at that level the next time you start the car. That's some functionality I would appreciate. On my car it switches to off every time I turn the car off.
Old 01-23-18, 12:40 PM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

Since I got the car I've had a issue with my driver seats where the heater would always stay on and never turn off even when the switch was off. I eventually had to pull the fuse for the drivers side. Any ideas if it could be a bad switch that causes this behavior like shown in the first pic? Considered replacing it to try that theory, I can't use the cooling function either with the fuse out.
Old 01-23-18, 03:29 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

I only ever use my seat heaters on the coldest days, and don't run it more than 2 minutes because I was never fond of frying my eggs on the seat.

Heated steering I use every day.
Old 01-24-18, 03:01 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

2013 Lux package. I used Carista to set mine to manual and prevent the auto "turn down". Mine also stay on whatever they were last set to when the car is cut off and then on again. They maintain the settings on each side, heat or vent at whatever level I left them. I agree it would be annoying to have to set them each time the car is turned on.

Quick Reply: Seat Heater Buttons...