LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Navigation 2014 LS 460 AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-18, 09:51 PM
clarence88
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Navigation 2014 LS 460 AWD

Hi all, just picked up a 2014 LS 460 AWD, (loaded with options...19" Rims w Full spare, Comfort package, ML audio, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, BSM, Leather trim, and more.

I was wondering peoples thoughts on the Nav, how can I activate XM Traffic, is it worth it? How would it compare to WAZE?

I downloaded Scout GPS Link on my Android. What is it and how does it work?

The SAT radio is still activated. Iis it probably on an expiring pre-paid account?

TIA
Old 01-20-18, 10:05 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

Man, You got a great deal. 22K was a killer price. Wait, Where did I get that number from ???
Old 01-20-18, 10:56 PM
texaslocal
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by clarence88
Hi all, just picked up a 2014 LS 460 AWD, (loaded with options...19" Rims w Full spare, Comfort package, ML audio, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, BSM, Leather trim, and more.

I was wondering peoples thoughts on the Nav, how can I activate XM Traffic, is it worth it? How would it compare to WAZE?

I downloaded Scout GPS Link on my Android. What is it and how does it work?

The SAT radio is still activated. Iis it probably on an expiring pre-paid account?

TIA
I have a 2014 LS as well. The XM traffic is ok, but not great. It’s good for major highway accidents and delays, but it certainly is not as precise or comprehensive as Waze. Also, it only shows traffic for major highways...once you get off the highway or interstate there’s no info. I believe Lexus switched from XM traffic to HD Radio traffic in 2015 or 2016 and the non-highway data is much better. From what I’ve heard any time a vehicle is entered into dealer inventory (new or used) the car information is shared with XM and then they automatically activate a 90 day trial in hopes of luring you in for a long term subscription. This was the case for my 2014 that I purchased in November.
Old 01-21-18, 04:14 AM
clarence88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by texaslocal
I have a 2014 LS as well. The XM traffic is ok, but not great. It’s good for major highway accidents and delays, but it certainly is not as precise or comprehensive as Waze. Also, it only shows traffic for major highways...once you get off the highway or interstate there’s no info. I believe Lexus switched from XM traffic to HD Radio traffic in 2015 or 2016 and the non-highway data is much better. From what I’ve heard any time a vehicle is entered into dealer inventory (new or used) the car information is shared with XM and then they automatically activate a 90 day trial in hopes of luring you in for a long term subscription. This was the case for my 2014 that I purchased in November.
Thanks for all that detail. How much does the XM raffic cost?

Do you know what scout GPS is and how it works?
Old 01-21-18, 04:19 AM
clarence88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
Man, You got a great deal. 22K was a killer price. Wait, Where did I get that number from ???
HA! Car has 49,500 miles just inside warranty and is in mint condition.
Old 01-21-18, 04:54 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

HA! Car has 49,500 miles just inside warranty and is in mint condition.
Hi Clarence,
Congrats on the purchase. Does it have the air suspension? It would be great to see pics inside and out. I believe you posted on CL about extended warranties. There is plenty of info, and don't go over 50000 if you are considering a Lexus Platinum VSA. Best wishes for many miles and years of happy driving!
Old 01-21-18, 05:14 AM
clarence88
Driver School Candidate

Outside photo.
Thanks. I already purchased the Plat VSA from Toby. No air suspension or lux package.

Since I purchased from a non Lexus dealership, and at a friend's suggestion, I brought it to a local lexus shop for a compete pre purchase check. They said the car was perfect. The only thing needed in the near future was a cabin air filter change. He said "Great Purchase".

Got a decent deal. I thought the price was fair based on all the options and condition.

I drove 180 miles to pick it up. Used the radar dynamic cruise control. What an amazing option.
Old 01-21-18, 05:19 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Congrats on the purchase!.
Old 01-21-18, 05:27 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Very nice! Good to know you went with Toby. I bought a 10 year/125K VSA from Toby in 2016. Haven't had to use it yet.

I drove 1000 miles to trade in my 2012 LS and buy my fully optioned 2014 car , and used DRCC and LKA on the way back! I agree they are really fun options and work quite well.
Old 01-21-18, 05:53 AM
clarence88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by satiger
Congrats on the purchase!.
Thanks. Really excited about it. I was on the fence about waiting since the new LS 500 is coming out, figuring these would dip in price. This car was in perfect shape with nice options so I jumped on it. hardly a nic in the paint from general wear and tare. The dealer did not have any of the options listed on the page so it looked like a standard LS 460 AWD. I ran a factory options check through Lexus and saw all the add-ons. Tires and brakes have around 50% left on them. They detailed it and replaced the oil, and that was that.

The 2 things I am looking to do is

1. add a remote start. Do I have to get this done at Lexus to avoid any warranty issues? My RX350 remote start sucks. Shuts off when you open the door (My other cars Honda/Toyota have Viper autostarts and they stay on as long as you dont hit the break pedal). Any opinions on this? I saw the DYI forum, but that was too complicated for me to follow
2. add Tint. Any suggestions? In NY they have very strict laws for front windows. Needs to be 70% visibility I think (only 30% block)
3. Anything else I should be looking to add for fun?

TIA
Old 01-21-18, 05:59 AM
clarence88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by comotiger
Very nice! Good to know you went with Toby. I bought a 10 year/125K VSA from Toby in 2016. Haven't had to use it yet.

I drove 1000 miles to trade in my 2012 LS and buy my fully optioned 2014 car , and used DRCC and LKA on the way back! I agree they are really fun options and work quite well.
I am in NY. Saw one in Wisconsin which was much less equipped for 3K more, but it was Lcertified, and had some minor body work done. Wanted $900 to ship. figured if I was really interested, I could fly out there. That was way too complicated for me.
Old 01-21-18, 06:24 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

Congrats on the car! I also got the three-month XM free trial. First I knew about it was when I got some scammy-looking emails asking me to sign up for six months for $50. I ignored those, and then got a bunch of paperwork in the mail, so it was legit.

I never listen to radio, so after having had the car for a month, I just turned XM on for the first time last night. It's nice, I guess, but I'm not paying for something I get for free on the ancient iPod that's hooked up permanently in my car.
The following users liked this post:
clarence88 (01-21-18)
Old 01-21-18, 07:11 AM
clarence88
Driver School Candidate

I was told by the Lexus dealer that there is no way to tell if my maps are updated, and I would have to pay around $300 to have it upgraded through a special chip which they use to upload it.

Anyone have experience with this? Is it really necessary? It would be really nice if I could just plug in my phone via BT or USB and have Waze through my display.
Old 01-21-18, 10:48 AM
texaslocal
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for all that detail. How much does the XM raffic cost?

Do you know what scout GPS is and how it works?
I’m not sure on the cost...I would think $4 or $5 per month. I’m not familiar with Scout GPS.
Old 01-21-18, 02:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Congrats!! Good for you. Man, what a deal! My 2015 LS460 with 47k is listed for $49k! Yours is a year older but way more options.

The XM NavTraffic doesn't begin to compare with Waze.

Quick Reply: Navigation 2014 LS 460 AWD