RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Oil change shortcut

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-18, 07:09 PM
greengear
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil change shortcut

my short cut for changing oil on an rx (or any vehicle) using the new mighty vac fluid evacuator.
Old 01-20-18, 08:33 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

I would still say that use the drain plug if not every time then every other time.

The drain process removes the sediments that collect at the bottom of the pan.

Salim
Old 01-20-18, 09:22 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by greengear
my short cut for changing oil on an rx (or any vehicle) using the new mighty vac fluid evacuator.
Does it suck up what's on the pan? If not, partial oil cnage that is. Just open the drain plug when engine is still warm.
Old 01-21-18, 12:13 AM
Gampa
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been using an oil extractor for the last two years of my 45 year of oil changing career... three to four cars per year. Reciently add “engine flush” to the process and now the process is even easier.
Just to see how much comes out after the oil extraction, I removed the oil plug and it was ...zero... nada... nothing, not one drop of oil... Is that good enough for you nay sayers to oil extraction.?
My RX is the only car i own that I still have to go under the car to remove the oil filter. My other makes an models, the filter and dipstick are both on top.
Time for Lexus to get with the program.
Old 01-21-18, 06:47 AM
salimshah

Whether you drain or suck out the oil, you will never remove 100% of the old oil. The amount left behind may vary.
With suction you will keep drawing the oil as long as the tube bottom does not suck air. If the tube is bent/curled it can be lifted from the bottom. Use the straw and drink out of a cup/glass and experiment. Tip the glass for drain. Use a dry tissue to see what is left behind,
With the drain you can leave old oil in the pan if the vehicle is not level.
More sediments flow out with drain but the same amount of suspended stuff per volume of oil is removed by either process.
If some one is after removing all sediments then they need to drop the pan and clean it.
You need crush washer and torque wrench fir drain
You have to keep the tube clean to prevent contamination and dirt in the suction process.
Handling of the old oil is convenient in the suction process.
If you are able body enough to get on the floor then drain is very easy [access is easy in RX].
Added advantage in doing drain is you get to do a quick visual from below.

Now practice and choose what you think serves your purpose. Changing the oil and using quality oil is more important.

Salim
PS: Flush of engine oil has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited by salimshah; 01-21-18 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Added PS
The following users liked this post:
ukrkoz (01-21-18)
Old 01-21-18, 06:55 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Yeah. I'll drain. There are things suction will never pick. I get it, it's quick and convenient and good on your knees. Quick Lube way. I'll pass.
I'd not call us naysayers. I'd call us "more careful".
Old 01-21-18, 10:12 AM
greengear
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
Yeah. I'll drain. There are things suction will never pick. I get it, it's quick and convenient and good on your knees. Quick Lube way. I'll pass.
I'd not call us naysayers. I'd call us "more careful".
Actually the quick lube way is to strip the drain plug and put in too much oil.
Old 01-21-18, 09:53 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, indeed. Sucks away all the oil!!! I've owned MB's for a long time and still own an old AMG model.

Per MB service manual, MB recommends using the extraction method EXCEPT for the AMG models which requires draining from the two bolts from the bottom.

Originally Posted by Gampa
I have been using an oil extractor for the last two years of my 45 year of oil changing career... three to four cars per year. Reciently add “engine flush” to the process and now the process is even easier.
Just to see how much comes out after the oil extraction, I removed the oil plug and it was ...zero... nada... nothing, not one drop of oil... Is that good enough for you nay sayers to oil extraction.?
My RX is the only car i own that I still have to go under the car to remove the oil filter. My other makes an models, the filter and dipstick are both on top.
Time for Lexus to get with the program.
Old 01-27-18, 08:19 AM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

What he said about replacing the filter every other change is absolutely correct. Newer model cars have incredibly clean engines, and do not require the same steps as Grandpa, or even Dad, used. I run my vehicle 5K miles, change the oil, run it 5K more, change oil and filter. I have cut open a 10K filter, and it looked no diff at all than the cut-open 5K filter. Of course, this is only done with synthetic oil, not dino oil.

Do whatever you want, of course, but the above works just as well as 3K or 5K oil/filter changes.
Old 02-01-18, 04:04 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

For mess free and easy oil draining, especially when overfilled, this is a very handy product:

http://www.fumotousa.com/
Old 02-01-18, 07:53 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by tempestv8
For mess free and easy oil draining, especially when overfilled, this is a very handy product:

http://www.fumotousa.com/
With the drain straight down, the shut-off drain valve will be sticking down. This increases chance of snagging objects and reduce clearance.

Salim
Old 02-01-18, 08:33 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

You are correct, Salim. I have used these before, and they are great, but I only put them on trucks, where there is a lot of ground clearance, and where parts of the suspension hung lower than the valve, giving a bit of warning if you are going over high objects. I have a Corvette, and would not be able to put one on that car.
Old 02-02-18, 07:12 AM
kgbagent1
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by greengear
Actually the quick lube way is to strip the drain plug and put in too much oil.
Yep - torque it til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn.
Old 02-02-18, 08:45 AM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by kgbagent1
Yep - torque it til it strips, then back it off a quarter turn.
that's not how they taught me. after you strip the thread, wipe down both the plug and hole threads very well, then coat with superglue, and reinstall. works great...once.
Old 03-10-18, 03:47 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I prefer to just turn a bolt on the oil pan.

Filter change is only $4. Still have to go under the car to pull the filter. More of a mess than oil pan bolt.
But thanks for sharing.

Quick Reply: Oil change shortcut