Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

cars.com on 2018 NAIAS (Detroit auto show) winners and losers...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-18, 02:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts
Default cars.com on 2018 NAIAS (Detroit auto show) winners and losers...

good article with varying opinions on many of the vehicles we've been talking about here such as rdx, jetta, new trucks, etc.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2018-d...1420698753490/
Old 01-20-18, 04:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Nobody mentioned the mid-engine Corvette....wonder if Chevy even bothered to bring it to the show. Also, one would think that the Cadillac XT4 compact SUV would be there.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-20-18 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 09:18 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

they didn't mention the lexus lf-1 either, but i think the article is about new actual models and not concepts.
Old 01-21-18, 02:34 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
they didn't mention the lexus lf-1 either, but i think the article is about new actual models and not concepts.
The XT4 is not a concept. It's been spotted while testing and photographed in spy-shots, and is actually going into production against its (to be) rival Lincoln MKC....though, for some reason, Cadillac has not put it on its web site yet. Same with the Honda Insight..it's slated for production, and does have a reference on the Honda website. With the mid-engine Corvette, hard to tell.......GM tells us something different each day LOL.

https://automobiles.honda.com/future...insight-hybrid

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-21-18 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 03:33 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Nobody mentioned the mid-engine Corvette....wonder if Chevy even bothered to bring it to the show. Also, one would think that the Cadillac XT4 compact SUV would be there.
Nobody mentioned the mid-engine Corvette because it wasn't there. Just like the much anticipated Ford Bronco was also absent. Cadillac probably wants to show the XT4 at the New York Show, since that's where the brand is now headquartered.
Old 01-21-18, 03:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by pbm317
Nobody mentioned the mid-engine Corvette because it wasn't there. Just like the much anticipated Ford Bronco was also absent. Cadillac probably wants to show the XT4 at the New York Show, since that's where the brand is now headquartered.

I can understand the Bronco being absent, even from Detroit. It will be considered a 2020 model...two years down the line. Normally, only vehicles for the next model year are displayed.....unless they are a future concept. The Ranger, of course, will be considered a 2019....fair game. The XT4?.......you might have a point about the NY show. Detroit is (obviously) no longer the home to the number of corporate HQ in the auto business like it once was....and it's not really that large of a new-car market, either. Los Angeles, D.C/Baltimore, New York, and Atlanta all sell far more new vehicles than the Detroit area.....and although opinions differ on this (as yours might, since you live in Detroit) it might (?) be be argued that those cities deserve larger shows.

Anyhow.....I was hoping see the XT4 at the D.C. show next weekend, but, if Caddy didn't take it to Detroit, they probably won't to D.C. either.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-21-18 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-21-18, 03:48 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
good article with varying opinions on many of the vehicles we've been talking about here such as rdx, jetta, new trucks, etc.

https://www.cars.com/articles/2018-d...1420698753490/
Whats so good about it? I thought their opinions were trash .

I mean 2011 Ford Ranger warmed up for US market? That wont work out well... Stripped down softer Jetta with torsion beam rear suspension for US market, whats so VW about it? Sucky.
And of course, worst rated car is Avalon, because nobody needs a large car anymore.
Old 01-21-18, 03:53 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
I mean 2011 Ford Ranger warmed up for US market? That wont work out well..
It just might. GM and Toyota, right now, own the mid-size pick-up market in the U.S., and, as I see it, competition usually doesn't hurt. Dodge used to have mid-sized Rams, but dropped them a number of years ago.

And of course, worst rated car is Avalon, because nobody needs a large car anymore.
Needing and liking are often two different things. Do I need a big Buick Lacrosse?....probably not. Do I like it? You bet.
Old 01-21-18, 04:14 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
Whats so good about it? I thought their opinions were trash .
yeah but how do you really feel? i thought it was good perhaps because i agreed with a lot of it but it did give 4 different opinions about each model shown which i thought was useful or at least interesting.

I mean 2011 Ford Ranger warmed up for US market? That wont work out well...
didn't see any comment about ranger "warmed up..." but i predict the ranger will sell like fresh donuts.

Stripped down softer Jetta with torsion beam rear suspension for US market, whats so VW about it? Sucky.
it's not a luxury sedan... but it seems to be to be a nicer looking (in and out) entry for vw than prior jettas.

one guy did say large sedans is a dying segment, and that's true but they're not dead or going to be any time soon. the concensus (3 of 4) was that the avalon wasn't a big enough leap over the camry and just has some odd design choices.