RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Away for 1 month. Battery Disconnect or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-18, 12:34 PM
lawjaii
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Away for 1 month. Battery Disconnect or not?

Hi guys, i will be going away for vacation for exactly 1 month. Leaving the rx350 at home. Should i be disconnecting the battery?

I went away last year for 6 weeks, battery died and had to be jumped. But last year i barely drove the rx so i think it might not had enough charge in it when i left.

Anybody with experience?

Thanks
Old 01-20-18, 02:52 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I disconnected the battery in my truck Jun 27th, came back Nov 29th.
Didn't know what to expect after five months but, it fired right up and has had no issues.

I'm sure it would have been dead if left connected.
Old 01-20-18, 02:56 PM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a knee replaced on Dec 5 , my 2011 Chevy pickup oringal battery, sat outside in -25°c tempertures for 4 weeks when I decided to give it a start with the remote , it fired right up
I would just leave the battery alone
Old 01-20-18, 03:16 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjaii
Hi guys, i will be going away for vacation for exactly 1 month. Leaving the rx350 at home. Should i be disconnecting the battery?

I went away last year for 6 weeks, battery died and had to be jumped. But last year i barely drove the rx so i think it might not had enough charge in it when i left.

Anybody with experience?

Thanks
Just to be sure, hook up battery mender to keep all the settings.
Old 01-20-18, 06:37 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

It all depends upon how strong the current battery is.

I have one of those trickle battery tenders which I hook up when I am away fro more than a week There are some exotic tenders, but I have couple of the cheaper harbor freight ones which with coupons can be had close to $5.00

Salim
The following users liked this post:
ukrkoz (01-21-18)
Old 01-21-18, 07:03 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

$20 battery tender and you are good to go for longer than that.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_20?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=solar+battery+tender&sprefix=solar+battery+tender%2Cautomotive%2C232&crid=1880RA58OF1OC&rh=n%3A15684181%2Ck%3Asolar+battery+tender https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_20?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=solar+battery+tender&sprefix=solar+battery+tender%2Cautomotive%2C232&crid=1880RA58OF1OC&rh=n%3A15684181%2Ck%3Asolar+battery+tender

Last edited by kitlz; 01-21-18 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-22-18, 05:44 AM
MacCat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't disconnect your battery - buy a $25 battery charger.
This isn't the big one - it's called a "Trickle charger" and runs around 2amps max.
It's designed to keep your battery topped off, without over-charging it.

Boat people know this trick - all the boats in the marina have trickle chargers built-in.
It keeps your battery in top condition, warm, and ready to fire up.
You don't even have to disconnect the wires, just unplug the charger.

(This is not a full sized battery charger, but most of those also have a "Trickle charge" mode)
Old 01-25-18, 05:58 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Do nothing and don't give it a second thought.
Enjoy your vacation!
Old 01-25-18, 09:21 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Trickle Charger...peace of mind...
Old 01-25-18, 12:36 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

sorry for the elementary knowledge on this stuff. What is a battery "mender" vs. a trickle charger? I've seen tickle chargers before but never a battery mender.....
Old 01-25-18, 01:34 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by MellonC00
sorry for the elementary knowledge on this stuff. What is a battery "mender" vs. a trickle charger? I've seen tickle chargers before but never a battery mender.....
Mender is typo/auto_correction ... the intended word is 'tender'

The purpose of the trickle/tender is to provide low current ~200mAmps .. so that the battery is not heated up. Heating can evaporate the electrolyte --> drying of the plates --> shedding of the material --> shorting of the plates etc etc.

For safety reasons the battery must be charged in a flame/spark free environment and should not be left unattended. Smart chargers monitor the activity and cycle on/off and cutoff as needed.

Salim
Old 01-26-18, 03:28 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Buy a quality multi-state smart charger, and leave it on the vehicle whilst you are away. The smaller the capacity of the charger, the better. No need to purchase a high power unit.

Also, you can connect it directly to the battery terminals without needing to disconnect the main leads.
Old 03-21-18, 08:29 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lawjaii

Anybody with experience?

Thanks
Just to be sure, if I were you I'd connect quality smart trickle charger(battery minder) to the battery.
Old 03-21-18, 02:22 PM
riredale
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

As per my contrarian nature I'll say here that what you could use is not a trickle charger, but a compact battery pack. The trickle charger will need to be plugged and unplugged. But there's no certainty that the battery would be dead without one. A battery pack, on the other hand, is about the size of a paperback book and in a worst case will be able to jump-start in a matter of seconds. Costco had them last Christmas for $40. Just buy one, charge it up, then leave it in the trunk and check once a year for full charge.
Old 03-21-18, 03:02 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by riredale
As per my contrarian nature I'll say here that what you could use is not a trickle charger, but a compact battery pack. The trickle charger will need to be plugged and unplugged. But there's no certainty that the battery would be dead without one. A battery pack, on the other hand, is about the size of a paperback book and in a worst case will be able to jump-start in a matter of seconds. Costco had them last Christmas for $40. Just buy one, charge it up, then leave it in the trunk and check once a year for full charge.
What? today's trickle charger has brain(simple electronic circuit) it'll only charge when battery goes low. As soon as fully charged it'll stop charging. Ever heard of floating charge? Battery pack is fully charged Lithium
battery module. When it is depleted, it requires recharging by some means like plugging into a USB charging port or charger. Any how better get a quality ones, not the El Cheapo flooding the market which can cause damage.

Quick Reply: Away for 1 month. Battery Disconnect or not?