RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Warranty Enhancement-Cracked Dash Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-18, 11:43 AM
ashleyw31
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Default Warranty Enhancement-Cracked Dash Replacement

I called 1-800-255-3987 to speak to someone regarding my Lexus which I just discovered online there was a warranty enhancement program regarding my cracked dashboard. I realize this was from 2015, but I never received a letter in the mail and have had and currently consuming even more cracks in my dashboard. The representative was of not help and just continued to repeat herself by telling me a letter was mailed out so my only option is to pay out of pocket to have it fixed. My issue besides have a piece of junk dashboard inside a vehicle with a nice exterior is I never received a letter and I like any other normal human I don't like being called a liar because I did not receive a 1st or 2nd letter that should have been sent to me. Now I am forced to drive with a horribly cracked dashboard due that apparently was a cheap piece of junk when it was initially installed. Lexus' are not cheap vehicles and I understand there is no such thing as perfection and things happen, however I do expect when a person spends a lot of money on a high class vehicle, shotty work has been done, and a warranty enhancement has been place on the vehicle the manufacturer should own up to it and fix the problem. I never received a letter as stated previously and the representative told me the "warranty program" expired in May 2017 which was seriously only 7 months ago. From what I am reading people are still waiting to have their dashboards repaired so what harm would there be to allow me to have my dashboard repaired under your warranty program? I was also prompted while waiting on hold forever to take a survey after I spoke to a representative. When she refused to be of any help I said that would be all and she asked if there was anything else I needed. I informed her no she was of no assistance and I would just wait to fill out my survey regarding my service when we got off the phone and she hung up on me not allowing me to take the survey so here I am having to post this online. I will never purchase a Lexus again and will inform my relatives who have always been loyal Lexus customers of the service I received and of course anyone else I know that owns a Lexus. All I want is the issue resolved and I think it's ludicrous that I was refused assistance when you have people who received their two letters in the mail in "2015" and are still having to wait to have their dashboards fixed, or if they did get it fixed apparently they are experiencing issues? Really?

Sincerely,

Pat
The following 6 users liked this post by ashleyw31:
2wPushkins (11-28-21), dostephen (06-18-20), Java1960 (12-14-23), jmarcus200 (03-04-20), lrnbsn (04-09-21), Nuch (04-17-19) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-20-18, 09:22 PM
ac921ol
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same issue here, sucks. I was thinking of calling back?

Wonder how kuch it cost ro replace out ace out of pocket.
The following users liked this post:
Nuch (04-17-19)
Old 01-20-18, 09:35 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Are you the first owner? Possible that your address is not set as the owner of the vehicle.

it does suck though. Do you service your car at the dealer by chance?
They should’ve alerted you after seeing the cracks.

But you are right. Cracked dash is ugly and makes your car feel cheap.
I think only solution is to get a used one from eBay.
lrnbsn (04-09-21)
Old 01-20-18, 11:48 PM
FloorJack
Rookie

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Man that sucks but It sounds like you've gotta fix it yourself.

So since yanking out dashboards is a b**ch I'd consider a dashmat or you can try stopping by a custom interior shop and getting a quote on a custom (vinyl?) dash cover if you are really tired of looking at a fu*ked up dash. (You'd be surprised with how nice covered dashes can look)

The downside is it won't be OEM (obviously) but the upside is it will cover the eyesore and if you choose wisely you may end really liking the custom interior look.

Good luck
lrnbsn (04-09-21)
Old 01-23-18, 08:07 AM
nwfsnake
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Call your local dealer, we are the third owner of our 2007 RX350 and they still covered it under the recall.
Old 01-23-18, 06:42 PM
txt
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am the 2nd owner of a 2009 RX350 with cracked dash.
I have received other recall letters, so Lexus knew my address, but I never received the letter on the warranty for the cracked dash.

In April 2017, I found through this forum that the dash board repair warranty was extended to May 31, 2017.
Another condition was that the warranty only covered for 10 years, from the date the car was 1st put into use.
For my car, it was 1st used in May 2008, so the warranty would expire in less than 30 days.
I called the local dealership and was told my VIN was not on the authorized list for repair.
I was told to take the issue up to Lexus headquarter.
I then called Lexus HQ and was told that had I called later than May 31, 2017, I would have to pay for the repair.
I was put on the authorized list for repair and the dash was replaced a week later.

Clearly, Lexus bears full responsibility for the poor workmanship on cracked dashboard.
Since this is not a safety-related issue, Lexus decided to put up some hurdles that the car owners had to jump over.

I feel that Lexus didn't try too hard to contact registered owners about the dashboard warranty because I didn't get the letter.
I feel that the "10-yr from date of 1st use" limit is totally baloney.
My dash board didn't develop noticeable cracks until near the end of its 10th year of use, leaving me very little time to react.

In the end, I squeaked in just ahead of the deadline but I can't say that I am impressed by Lexus's commitment to satisfy the customers.
JMW (11-06-21)
Old 01-23-18, 06:47 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by txt
I have received other recall letters, so Lexus knew my address, but I never received the letter on the warranty for the cracked dash.

In April 2017, I found through this forum that the dash board repair warranty was extended to May 31, 2017.
Another condition was that the warranty only covered for 10 years, from the date the car was 1st put into use.
For my car, it was 1st used in May 2008, so the warranty would expire in less than 30 days.
I called the local dealership and was told my VIN was not on the authorized list for repair.
I then called Lexus HQ and was told that had I called later than May 31, 2017, I would have to pay for the repair.
I was put on the authorized list for repair and the dash was replaced a week later.

Clearly, Lexus bears full responsibility for the poor workmanship on cracked dashboard.
Since this is not a safety-related issue, Lexus decided to put up some hurdles that the car owners had to jump over.

I feel that Lexus didn't try too hard to contact registered owners about the dashboard warranty because I didn't get the letter.
My dash board didn't develop noticeable cracks until near the end of its 10th year of use, leaving me very little time to react.

In the end, I squeaked in just ahead of the deadline but I can't say that I am impressed by Lexus's commitment to satisfy the customers.
Huh? Sounds like you have another 3-months in the warranty.
Old 01-25-18, 08:34 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by txt

Yep.. i missed the 10 yr from date of 1st use BS by a few months. didn't get cracks right until that date hit.
Old 01-27-18, 04:18 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

The fact is the Lexus dealer has some pull on who gets what, I suspect. If you have been a loyal customer of the dealer (and you own at least 2 or 3 Lexus cars), it should help you be in the right column. This is completely speculation, but the fact is the dealer has a lot of pull on what they allow and not allow. Hence a call to Lexus might help.

Other choice is to find the nearest OTHER Lexus dealer and try them. Like if you needed tires, go get them from the dealer...must spend at least $500. Again this is just my opinion and experience. Goes without saying that if you have been with the same dealer for 10+ years, help.
Old 01-09-19, 10:00 AM
rmcamacho
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2007 Lexus ES 350 is garaged and has 67,500 miles. The dash is now starting to melt. I also called the 800 number and got the same response. I keep all my mail and I did not receive the 2 letters Lexus says they sent me in 2015. There was only 1 letter that year and it was regarding 2GR-FE (V6) Engine VVT-i Oil Hose Replacement. This is a safety issue NOT a cosmetic one and unacceptable. How well are the airbags going to deploy with a compromised dashboard? The glare from this shinny melting dashboard is also a real concern. If anyone knows of a new lawsuit on this topic let me know.
Old 01-10-19, 11:25 AM
meccan0ble
Driver School Candidate

I would suggest going to a dealer on a not so busy day and telling them about the enhancement warranty for the dash. They normally have to reach out to that same lexus HQ contact to get approval for the job. I think a face to face will be much more successful. The dealer I think gets money for doing the work so they should be open to the work. Its easier to do this with a dealership you have good relations with. Otherwise, I would prepare for them not knowing about this warranty so you want to have as much details as possible to give them that first impression that you know what you talking about. I was fortunate to get mine fixed shortly after buying car at dealership. Plus I was an 09.
Old 01-28-19, 04:47 PM
Hobbes22
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

I tried emailing Lexus on our 2008 RX400h dash recently. It’s falling apart. Crumbling. It didn’t get really bad until the Enhanced Warranty expired. My 1970s Toyota has way less cracks. My 1990s Land Cruiser has zero. They politely told me to pound sand. This was a gigantic production debacle by Lexus.

Anyone try replacing it themselves? Couldn’t find any threads. Might be a bridge too far.
Old 01-29-19, 07:20 AM
Mesquite77
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 169 Posts

Search for replacing A/C evaporator, I saw some youtubes on that. Dash has to come off to do it, so if you do, give that piece a hard look while you are there.
Hobbes22 (01-29-19)
Old 02-13-19, 07:05 AM
rtdconsult
Driver School Candidate

Default Dashboard warranty

Originally Posted by ashleyw31
I called 1-800-255-3987 to speak to someone regarding my Lexus which I just discovered online there was a warranty enhancement program regarding my cracked dashboard. I realize this was from 2015, but I never received a letter in the mail and have had and currently consuming even more cracks in my dashboard. The representative was of not help and just continued to repeat herself by telling me a letter was mailed out so my only option is to pay out of pocket to have it fixed. My issue besides have a piece of junk dashboard inside a vehicle with a nice exterior is I never received a letter and I like any other normal human I don't like being called a liar because I did not receive a 1st or 2nd letter that should have been sent to me. Now I am forced to drive with a horribly cracked dashboard due that apparently was a cheap piece of junk when it was initially installed. Lexus' are not cheap vehicles and I understand there is no such thing as perfection and things happen, however I do expect when a person spends a lot of money on a high class vehicle, shotty work has been done, and a warranty enhancement has been place on the vehicle the manufacturer should own up to it and fix the problem. I never received a letter as stated previously and the representative told me the "warranty program" expired in May 2017 which was seriously only 7 months ago. From what I am reading people are still waiting to have their dashboards repaired so what harm would there be to allow me to have my dashboard repaired under your warranty program? I was also prompted while waiting on hold forever to take a survey after I spoke to a representative. When she refused to be of any help I said that would be all and she asked if there was anything else I needed. I informed her no she was of no assistance and I would just wait to fill out my survey regarding my service when we got off the phone and she hung up on me not allowing me to take the survey so here I am having to post this online. I will never purchase a Lexus again and will inform my relatives who have always been loyal Lexus customers of the service I received and of course anyone else I know that owns a Lexus. All I want is the issue resolved and I think it's ludicrous that I was refused assistance when you have people who received their two letters in the mail in "2015" and are still having to wait to have their dashboards fixed, or if they did get it fixed apparently they are experiencing issues? Really?

Sincerely,

Pat
Something very similar happened to me last week. Lexus has a real problem with these dashboards and,I, being 2 weeks after the expiration was flatly denied and even told that while my car had been serviced religiously by a certified Lexus mechanic I could not be considered for a replacement as I did not service it at a registered dealer. I believe they lost their shirts in this faulty dash and are pleased to hide behind the expiration of their ‘warranty’. Very disappointed with this company for not giving any consideration to rectifying their mistake with the dash- and this is not my first warranty issue with them.
Old 03-11-19, 11:37 AM
Alexia56
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thanks for all the info

I have a 05 RX 330 and the dash just started to crack a few months ago. The car is older and I had been chalking it up to old age and was about to order a vinyl repair kit until I saw this post. I am second owner but have the original sales documents and called the selling dealer. Well so far, they will be taking the car in to look at the damage. They did not outright say anything about the car’s age although thanks to all of you I told them I am a member of this blog and that this is an apparent common problem that Lexus was taking responsibility for. Not sure what they will say in the end but I will keep you posted.
lrnbsn (04-09-21)

Quick Reply: Warranty Enhancement-Cracked Dash Replacement