RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Buying a 2016

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-18, 07:23 PM
soholexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 2016

Hi, just wondering what others think. Instead of buying new, I was considering a 2016 RX350 F sports. Hopefully, not too many mileage but even if it is a bit on the high side, that's ok because I don't put on a lot of miles. The good thing is that it will be a lot cheaper. Since Lexus have the reputation of reliability, why not unless someone can chime in and tell me it's not worth it. Please bear in mind, I'm in Canada where vehicles are normally more costly than in the states. Thanks.
Old 01-19-18, 07:29 PM
mssca
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Assuming you want to buy from a dealership; I would look into extended coverage provided by dealerships. Most of the certified used RX 350s comes with a extended coverage. You pay a little more, but at least you get a good support from Lexus Canada in return. Also you have a lot of negotiation power and I would try to get the coverage for free.

Look for rust! We use a lot of slat and sand during Winter so I would check for extensive rust.
Old 01-19-18, 07:38 PM
soholexus
Driver School Candidate

Even for a 2016 model, I have to worry about rust? Extended warranty will be considered. Thanks.
Old 01-19-18, 07:55 PM
mssca
Driver

Originally Posted by soholexus
Even for a 2016 model, I have to worry about rust? Extended warranty will be considered. Thanks.
I have rust protection (cathodic protection modules or undercoating or both) on all of our family vehicles except one. Our Toyota Camry started to show rust in 3 years after use and it had no protection what so ever. Our Toyota Rav4 has undercoating and rust module installed and it is on 8th year running on Calgary streets with very little/minimal rust. Our Lexus NX and Lexus GS (three years and four years olds) have no rust issues and they also have the modules installed with undercoats.

In my opinion, salt we use on icy roads are so bad for the vehicle structure. I would check everything. May be you can find a RX that already have the rust module installed from the factory. My new 2017 RX 350 have the rust module installed from the dealership before delivery.
Old 01-20-18, 11:15 AM
ravenuer
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 380 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by mssca
I have rust protection (cathodic protection modules or undercoating or both) on all of our family vehicles except one. Our Toyota Camry started to show rust in 3 years after use and it had no protection what so ever. Our Toyota Rav4 has undercoating and rust module installed and it is on 8th year running on Calgary streets with very little/minimal rust. Our Lexus NX and Lexus GS (three years and four years olds) have no rust issues and they also have the modules installed with undercoats.

In my opinion, salt we use on icy roads are so bad for the vehicle structure. I would check everything. May be you can find a RX that already have the rust module installed from the factory. My new 2017 RX 350 have the rust module installed from the dealership before delivery.
I've never heard of a "rust module". Can you enlighten me?
Old 01-20-18, 12:39 PM
ZnSaucier
Driver School Candidate

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ravenuer
I think they are talking about Cathodic Protection (used in ships, pipelines, bridges) which uses sacrificial anodes and an electric current to help prevent rust. However, from what I can find online (was also interested) it seems that the principle doesn't work for cars since there isn't anything to complete the circuit (unless you keep your car up to the chassis in water)... From Wikipedia: In 1996 the FTC ordered David McCready, a person that sold devices claiming to protect cars from corrosion, to pay restitution and banned the names "Rust Buster" and "Rust Evader."
The following 2 users liked this post by ZnSaucier:
ericsan13 (01-22-18), ravenuer (01-20-18)
Old 01-21-18, 05:43 AM
mssca
Driver

It is the Cathodic Protection module. It sends an electric current to the body and it works continuously as long as the car battery is good. When the vehicle is running, it uses the power produced by the engine to run the module. I hope it works because if not, Lexus Canada will be in trouble for false advertising. I think it works in my personal opinion because of the number of vehicles I have at home with it seems to do well. I inspect professionally all autos at home every two years or so for rust and body damage just cause I have nothing to do. Ha ha
Old 01-22-18, 11:21 AM
Soyabean
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have read that these rust control modules do not work. From what I read, it copy it from boats and submarines where it sends a protective flow of electrons to protect the metal but that can only be provided by a completed circuit (ie. under water). So unless your car is entirely under water (which I hope not), it will not do what it's supposed to.

I have also seen pictures of the rust control module itself rusting haha.

But to each their own if you want piece of mind. I always rust proofed all my cars with Krown (in Canada) and they were great. My Mazda for 11 years didnt rust and everyone knows Mazda's are known for rusting and their cheap paint. I didnt rust proof the Lexus though because I asked the dealership and they said you dont need to and I see all the panels that usually rust along the wheel wells are plastic trims now so I'm going to take my chance. I also don't like the fact that Krown drills holes in your door panels (best way to protect) but I just dont like the whole drilling thing on my Lexus.
Old 01-22-18, 01:00 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by Soyabean
I have read that these rust control modules do not work. From what I read, it copy it from boats and submarines where it sends a protective flow of electrons to protect the metal but that can only be provided by a completed circuit (ie. under water). So unless your car is entirely under water (which I hope not), it will not do what it's supposed to.

I have also seen pictures of the rust control module itself rusting haha.

But to each their own if you want piece of mind. I always rust proofed all my cars with Krown (in Canada) and they were great. My Mazda for 11 years didnt rust and everyone knows Mazda's are known for rusting and their cheap paint. I didnt rust proof the Lexus though because I asked the dealership and they said you dont need to and I see all the panels that usually rust along the wheel wells are plastic trims now so I'm going to take my chance. I also don't like the fact that Krown drills holes in your door panels (best way to protect) but I just dont like the whole drilling thing on my Lexus.
Ha! Reminds me of an old Datsun I bought new and the stealer talked me into some kind of rustproofing where they drilled holes and (allegedly) sprayed something in there. In about two years, guess where it started to rust.......you guessed it....right around all the holes they drilled!
Old 01-22-18, 01:29 PM
Soyabean
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ha! Reminds me of an old Datsun I bought new and the stealer talked me into some kind of rustproofing where they drilled holes and (allegedly) sprayed something in there. In about two years, guess where it started to rust.......you guessed it....right around all the holes they drilled!
Lol that shouldn't have happened if they sprayed it. Did they plug the holes? Sucks but yea, just dont like the whole drilling into my new car. If it's meant to be they should have had factory holes predrilled and not put rivets where it needs to be drilled
Old 01-22-18, 03:32 PM
ravenuer
Racer

Originally Posted by Soyabean
Lol that shouldn't have happened if they sprayed it. Did they plug the holes? Sucks but yea, just dont like the whole drilling into my new car. If it's meant to be they should have had factory holes predrilled and not put rivets where it needs to be drilled
Have no idea if they sprayed anything in there. They did put rubber plugs in the holes. It was a 1980 Datsun 510 wagon by the way....
Old 01-23-18, 04:57 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Always have put the permanent anti rust resin applied before the delivery (don't know the brand but they all look the same).

11 years old Accord was spotless when I let it go and got 3000$ in exchange for my RX. I could have sold it 4000$ on my own, but it made me save on tax, so it is a fair trade.

But my Corolla started to rust from the surface at 2 places, spray paint and it is like new.

With this anti-rust, it is expensive but it is a one shot fee and comes with a life-time rust warranty from Lexus.
Old 01-25-18, 08:01 AM
soholexus
Driver School Candidate

Are there any differences between the 2016 and the 2017/2018 models?
Old 01-25-18, 08:07 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by soholexus
Are there any differences between the 2016 and the 2017/2018 models?
With the 2016, you don't get as standard feature the Lexus safety feature and radar cruise control. It was available on the Executive package or F-Sport Series 3.
Old 01-25-18, 09:59 AM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,570 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Just don't see many cars rusting these days unless there's body damage that exposes the raw metal. Rust proofing is a typical dealer add on with 99.9% profit margin.

Quick Reply: Buying a 2016