IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

Camshaft upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-18, 02:14 PM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Camshaft upgrade?

Tried searching and couldnt find anything or anyone that has done any kinda aftermarket grinds on these cars. I know we havent been able to tune them for very long but I figured someone would be playing with camshafts in this engine by now.

Anyone know anything? Im assuming you could get them made, I guess the better question would be is it worth the cost and effort.
Old 01-19-18, 03:27 PM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't think anyone makes that kind stuff for this motor. It was so limited the R&D probably wasn't worth it when these cars were new, worse now that they are getting long in tooth
Old 01-19-18, 04:59 PM
MileHIFcar
Pole Position

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Ditto: haven't seen any aftermarket cams for the 2UR-GSE for the reason mentioned above^^^
Old 01-19-18, 09:45 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 4,077 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Nor have I seen anyone publish any information about the heads - no flow numbers, no oversized valves, no cams, springs or retainers...

No one is competing with this engine. Pretty unlikely to find this kind of stuff if no one is racing them.
The following 2 users liked this post by lobuxracer:
jdmSW20 (01-22-18), Jeff Lange (02-01-18)
Old 01-20-18, 01:42 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Everything that was stated above, plus you do realize these cams are hollow? A lot of R+D went into producing this motor.
Old 01-22-18, 07:39 AM
MpKSonic
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE
Everything that was stated above, plus you do realize these cams are hollow? A lot of R+D went into producing this motor.
Is there a thread or article that lists a lot of the little nuances that make the F so unique? I hear little facts like this from time to time and I'm always interested for more.
Old 01-22-18, 08:19 AM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,369 Posts

^^^^^

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...story-pdf.html

Lou
Old 01-22-18, 09:12 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,535 Likes on 1,277 Posts

Slightly off topic but do the Tunes/maps for these alter the VVTI timing events? Anyone hear that mentioned?

Yoda has the white papers that detail the cam specs and when/why events happen and we need that detail to see the mechanical side and the maps dictating when events occur.

The closest thing I found was the Tacoma guys run the same A760E trans as the 350 and they shared a yoda document detailing everything about the trans and engine interactions (maps) from lock up, shift points, decel curves, fuel chop curves and that. Lots and lots of details. We need this content for the F and 350...

Has anyone seen a build where they degree in a VVTi engine? Much less a custom grind VVTi.
The following users liked this post:
2UR (03-12-20)
Old 01-22-18, 12:20 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

There's no point in degreeing the cams. The ECM is going to move them based on cam and crank position inputs, so degreeing in the classic sense is pointless.

Accessing the VVTi code (from what I have been told by reliable sources) is impossible. It's sequestered in memory and the ability to alter it is physically destroyed after the code is burned into memory. All the manufacturers are very secretive about their valve timing code.

Who got the documents? If they came off TIS, I can look for them. If not, you need to find someone willing to part with this information and potentially risk losing their employment. It's very difficult to get non-public information from Toyota.
Old 01-23-18, 09:23 AM
sc3dreamin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2URGSE

I am aware of that, doesnt mean theres not power left on the table with more aggressive aftermarket camshafts. With emissions and reliability constraints OEM camshafts always leave power on the table.

Id imagine some larger cams that could let this engine pull to 7500 rpm or something could see 40-50 hp gains up top.

Unfortunately it doesnt seem like the aftarmarket support is there for this car being such limited production we will probably never see that option
Old 01-23-18, 09:50 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Again, it all depends. Do the ports flow more at higher lift? This is not always true, so high lift cams will add nothing unless you are sure the ports will flow more. Duration just changes overlap, but you can do that with VVTi.
Old 01-23-18, 10:11 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

On a pro build I would think it is wise to verify timing events as you have to have a starting reference. But to your point, you can't even get the base line angles without having the VVTi intack and working (well for most of us). The flip side here is the right software allows you to watch what the VVTi is doing (angles wise) once the base values are confirmed as seen by the sensors. Oh to have dyno and software to plot the curves... Anyone know if Techstream lets you see this?

As for the trans info found, it appears as a snip out of a larger document. Page title has only; Toyota Tundra - New features. And jumps into 47 pages on the truck version of the A760E RWD and F AWD.

My speculation is there is more where this came from for everything under the Yoda camp but I have yet to buy a subscription and look for the 2GR-FSE and A760E as applied to the 2IS 350 vs the truck data.
Old 01-23-18, 03:09 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

That's just the new car features book. Those are on TIS. They're a tease, but a good tease. There is a lot of really helpful information in those books, especially for the first model year of a run. It' a violation of copyright to post them here (technically in any capacity) but I have extracted information from them from time to time to illustrate what is going on as you might have noticed in some of my posts.

On any build it is important to validate both valve and ignition timing. In the days before VVT, it was critical to make adjustments measured with a degree wheel and a dial indicator. I've done a lot of that. Today, it's only important to follow the factory instructions and make sure the links with the paint on them are in the right place. The ECM does the rest, and does it better than fixed mechanical timing because it will always be right even if you mill the head, change headgasket thickness, or deck the block. I learned to degree cams way back in 1980 when I read an article on it in Cycle World (or Motorcyclist, or one of the bike rags I subscribed to back then). I have done it hundreds of times now, and fully understand the importance of everything happening at the right time to make power the way you want it delivered.

The data you saw is available for all Scion/Toyota/Lexus engines. You just need a subscription to TIS to get access to it.
The following users liked this post:
2013FSport (01-23-18)
Old 01-23-18, 05:50 PM
2URGSE
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MpKSonic
Is there a thread or article that lists a lot of the little nuances that make the F so unique? I hear little facts like this from time to time and I'm always interested for more.
Titanium intake valves......sodium filled exhaust valves........a very sophisticated oiling system.........................

Lots of technology in this V8.
Old 01-23-18, 06:29 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Agreed. Just a tease. I had more detail on my old Camry!

But I know its out there.... at this point I'll take scraps! lol

Quick Reply: Camshaft upgrade?