GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

15 GS350 F sport deal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-18, 10:45 AM
skydynamic
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15 GS350 F sport deal?

I'm looking at a 15 GS F sport with cold weather package, 70k miles. Every service was done at Lexus dealership. It has a little more than 70k so they can't CPO the vehicle. asking price is $29k OTD. They do offer the lifetime warranty package that'd cost $3700. What's your thought on this? Thanks
Old 01-19-18, 11:06 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by skydynamic
I'm looking at a 15 GS F sport with cold weather package, 70k miles. Every service was done at Lexus dealership. It has a little more than 70k so they can't CPO the vehicle. asking price is $29k OTD. They do offer the lifetime warranty package that'd cost $3700. What's your thought on this? Thanks
Check fine prints on that life time bs. Is it only power train and what’s deductible
Old 01-19-18, 11:29 AM
skydynamic
Driver School Candidate

Old 01-19-18, 11:31 AM
skydynamic
Driver School Candidate

That's what they emailed me. $0 deductible if done at that dealership. $500 if service is done at different place. 70k miles does concern me a little bit but everything was done at the Lexus dealership. But for $29k, it's a good price OTD?
Old 01-19-18, 11:44 AM
PsykotiK
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

29k otd is an ok price.. you can probably find one with 20k less miles for around the same price
Old 01-19-18, 12:17 PM
jordanhigg
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have not seen these lifetime warranties. is this offered by the dealership itself or 3rd party?

I have heard of 3rd party stuff and its a PITA for sure

I have seen several 2014 with 75-90 for under 21k (private party)
Old 01-19-18, 01:28 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Check fine prints on that life time bs. Is it only power train and what’s deductible
Agreed. And it's limited to the remaining 'book' value of the car.
Old 01-19-18, 01:40 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

What happens if you throw a rod, burn a piston, wear a lobe off a camshaft, or the crankshaft breaks? I see there are a gazillion things pertaining to the engine that is not covered. Same thing with the transmission and virtually everything else in and on the car.
Old 01-19-18, 04:08 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bclexus
What happens if you throw a rod, burn a piston, wear a lobe off a camshaft, or the crankshaft breaks? I see there are a gazillion things pertaining to the engine that is not covered. Same thing with the transmission and virtually everything else in and on the car.
They pay for the part(s) and the labor up to the value of the warranty. After that you're on your own. Pretty much same fine print for all warranties. You figure the newer vehicles are way less likely to have issues (especially the GS) so their warranties are pretty mildly priced (enough to compensate what Lexus would deem High-fail items). Certainly not to the value of the car (remember has to qualify as a warranted item)
Old 01-19-18, 06:19 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by MustangSal
They pay for the part(s) and the labor up to the value of the warranty. After that you're on your own. Pretty much same fine print for all warranties. You figure the newer vehicles are way less likely to have issues (especially the GS) so their warranties are pretty mildly priced (enough to compensate what Lexus would deem High-fail items). Certainly not to the value of the car (remember has to qualify as a warranted item)
I see a minimal list of things under 'Engine' (in the partial warranty shown below) that does not include any of the things (parts) I mentioned. How do I know (for certain) that if my engine scores and spins a rod bearing and the crankshaft needs to be replaced that the warranty (partially shown below) will cover it? They could easily say: "Oh, I'm sorry - that is not covered. Please review our warranty coverage and you will see that the part in your engine that broke or was damaged is not covered." And, they would be 100% correct!!!

Old 01-19-18, 08:19 PM
skydynamic
Driver School Candidate

It sounded too good to be true. That's why I had to ask you guys . Thanks

I'm looking to keep this car for a long time so I should prob look for a lower mileage ones.
Old 01-20-18, 04:01 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bclexus
I see a minimal list of things under 'Engine' (in the partial warranty shown below) that does not include any of the things (parts) I mentioned. How do I know (for certain) that if my engine scores and spins a rod bearing and the crankshaft needs to be replaced that the warranty (partially shown below) will cover it? They could easily say: "Oh, I'm sorry - that is not covered. Please review our warranty coverage and you will see that the part in your engine that broke or was damaged is not covered." And, they would be 100% correct!!!

Interesting. Yep. Always makes me suspicious of what kind of answer you'd get (which begets your question). I suppose you could ask ahead of time and get it in writing?
Old 01-20-18, 02:42 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
This.

IMHO if it's not offered by Lexus its probably bordering on a scam.

-Mike
Old 01-20-18, 02:56 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by drgrant
This.

IMHO if it's not offered by Lexus its probably bordering on a scam.

-Mike
I would ask about who is covering the warranty. Like check it all out. I bought an aftermarket warranty through Usaa on my kids Mini (I know, I know). Ended up using every dollar of its worth. Saved me about $9k in the end after payout.

So, it could be worth it depending. Really just need to ask questions.
Old 01-20-18, 09:26 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by MustangSal
I would ask about who is covering the warranty. Like check it all out. I bought an aftermarket warranty through Usaa on my kids Mini (I know, I know). Ended up using every dollar of its worth. Saved me about $9k in the end after payout.

So, it could be worth it depending. Really just need to ask questions.
USAA is pretty reputable outfit though, they're probably the exception rather than the rule. Most of the aftermarket warranties always are larded up with lots of "gotchas".

-Mike

Quick Reply: 15 GS350 F sport deal?