Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 Dodge Ram

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-18, 12:32 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default 2019 Dodge Ram

Press release on the new "RAM"

http://autoweek.com/article/detroit-...roit-auto-show

Didn't see a thread on the new "RAM" yet. Yeah I know its no longer a "Dodge" but IMO that was a lame *** marketing move a few years ago, everybody still calls it a Dodge truck or a Dodge Ram in my neck of the woods. IMO its kind of like Toyota taking the jellybean T off the Land Cruiser or Camry, just referring to that model as the "CAMRY" or "LAND CRUISER".

Anyways, enough with my rant, new trucks looks nice. Hybrid powertrain looks interesting, would like to see how it holds up long term and if it gains you any significant real world fuel economy. In my book that would be at least a 5 mpg improvement over current city EPA ratings in the same configuration. Also notice that the new "RAM" uses the same/similar engines as before, just with the hybrid part, no turbochargers here. IMO hybrids have been proven to be long term reliable(lots of Prius cars with over 200k miles on them). Batteries are cheap to replace if you go with a company that rebuilds the packs vs OEM.

Turbocharged engines, well your long term costs may vary, depends if they are designed right and the OEM doesn't use cheap *** parts(I'm looking at you BMW with all your brittle cheap plastic crap under the hood). Of course turbocharged engines, even with the added complexity, done right, designed for durability, using quality parts can last over a million miles(thinking of class 8 semi truck engines).

Only thing I can really criticize is the new styling. Personally I loved the "big rig" look of Dodge trucks for the past 25 years or so, it was different, bold, and IMO very stylish with all the chrome on the last body style truck. I liked how the hood pointed forward, almost like an old 80's BMW. The new truck looks nice as well, but squint hard enough and it looks like a Toyota Tundra or maybe a Land Cruiser from the front. Seems like from the a-pillar back, everybody's truck looks the same, slab sided, boring. Why so boring, the 2003 Ram had some really nice lines, loved that detail in the bed, how the fenders flared out like the front fenders, it didn't look slab sided at all, had some interesting lines to it.

Last edited by Aron9000; 01-16-18 at 01:10 AM.
Old 01-16-18, 12:39 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

BTW 2003 Dodge Ram, so you can see what I'm ranting about. One of my favorite pickups in terms of styling. Notice that character line in the rear bed.

Old 01-16-18, 05:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I had a chance to rent one in Dec. at the Toronto airport, but didn't. I was thinking it might not be good in the snow and will likely use more fuel. I saw another traveler rush into one, start it up, and shut it off and choose a Jeep instead. So I said ah I'll just grab this Murano, I'm only here for 2 1/2 days...ps if anyone is familiar with this airport and its rental cars (around 12/20/17) , it took me 4X to exit the loop. How bizarre that the signage is messed up and doesn't indicate how to exit the area (I saw 3 other cars doing the same as I did)
Old 01-16-18, 10:57 AM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Love the new Ram, the 12" touchscreen is pretty awesome, and just a great redesign all around. RamBox is still unmatched by any of the other in bed boxes that are being offered. Crawled around a bunch of them here at the Detroit show. Lots of competitors in attendance at the press conference.
Old 01-16-18, 11:54 AM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought my 2014 Longhorn had a nice interior, this redesign takes it to a whole new level. Jealous.
Old 01-16-18, 04:13 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Interior looks fantastic
Old 01-17-18, 08:49 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

cool commercial

Old 01-25-18, 02:27 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Some different grilles and trims

Old 01-25-18, 02:40 PM
LOWFAST
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only thing I do not care for is the emblem in the hood, unless it is actually functional and the space between the text is open to vent underhood heat. If it has a functional purpose then I am on board, otherwise it is just overdone bling.
Old 01-25-18, 10:05 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

How many different headlight options are they going to offer???? Agreed about that chrome piece on the hood, looks like the same spot Buick puts its fake chrome vents, it doesn't look very clean or well integrated into the design.

Personally I think the new styling is rather bland, looks a lot like the Tundra if you ask me. Which is a shame, the big rig styling(and Cummins diesel option) was my favorite thing about the old Ram trucks.
Old 01-26-18, 06:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Personally I think the new styling is rather bland, looks a lot like the Tundra if you ask me. Which is a shame, the big rig styling(and Cummins diesel option) was my favorite thing about the old Ram trucks.
That droop-fender, big-rig styling was more of a fad than anything else, though, at the time (mid-late 90s), admittedly an effective one...the Ram, even with new Toyota and Nissan competition, significantly increased its share of the full-size domestic pickup market market with it. But, since then, it had become rather stale, losing much of its initial effectiveness, and it's probably the to move on.
Old 01-26-18, 06:57 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
How many different headlight options are they going to offer????
Looking at the pics it appears like only 2, the first one is some base/fleet type trim and the rest with led headlights maybe.
Old 01-26-18, 09:52 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That droop-fender, big-rig styling was more of a fad than anything else, though, at the time (mid-late 90s), admittedly an effective one...the Ram, even with new Toyota and Nissan competition, significantly increased its share of the full-size domestic pickup market market with it. But, since then, it had become rather stale, losing much of its initial effectiveness, and it's probably the to move on.
I don't know if it counts as a fad if it lasted 25 years. And Ford had the same thing on the Super Duty from 99-16.
Old 01-26-18, 04:10 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Very sweet exterior styling! Love the headlights and grille- smooth, modern, clean, and aero. Totally shows how there is no need for silly and bizarre angles and squares Ford and GM include on their front clips.
Not a fan of the robo dash. Way too busy, overstyled, gaudy, and chunky (like Ford). A more integrated, carlike dash would be welcomed. I love Toyota's late 1990's way for their SUV/pick-ups: burly exterior but Camry interior. Have cake and eat it too. Today's semi trucks are trying their darnedest to make their interiors more carlike. Our Big 3 pick up truck companies, who try so hard to mimic the tough truck look, are behind and blind to the interior trend.
Old 01-26-18, 04:33 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Nice interior! Better than the new Silverado's!

Quick Reply: 2019 Dodge Ram