IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Gauge cluster swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 10:35 PM
Ori85
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Gauge cluster swap

Does anyone know if it is possible to swap a is 200t gauge cluster for a f sport gauge cluster
Old 01-14-18, 11:22 PM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, it's plug & play.
Old 05-04-18, 04:02 AM
dkotoric
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Raghza
Yes, it's plug & play.
Has anyone done this and also does anything need to be done with the Mileage of the car as far as reprogramming the new cluster?
Old 05-04-18, 01:27 PM
bgeims
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dkotoric
Has anyone done this and also does anything need to be done with the Mileage of the car as far as reprogramming the new cluster?
Hey dkotoric, I swapped an F-Sport gauge cluster into my 2015 Base IS and can confirm that reprogramming the new cluster to match the vehicle's mileage is required. You will need to disassemble the F-Sport cluster, de-solder the EEPROM chip from the main PCB, read the EEPROM, modify the HEX values to represent the correct mileage, program the EEPROM, solder the EEPROM to the main PCB, and reassemble the cluster. I'm debating whether or not to write a detailed tutorial on how to do it (depending on if people seem interested). I am also thinking about programming and selling F-Sport clusters with people's requested mileage.
The following 4 users liked this post by bgeims:
DCWake (11-02-20), EoIS300NJ (09-23-20), Iampaower (04-16-22), tmler (12-19-22)
Old 05-04-18, 01:45 PM
dkotoric
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bgeims
Hey dkotoric, I swapped an F-Sport gauge cluster into my 2015 Base IS and can confirm that reprogramming the new cluster to match the vehicle's mileage is required. You will need to disassemble the F-Sport cluster, de-solder the EEPROM chip from the main PCB, read the EEPROM, modify the HEX values to represent the correct mileage, program the EEPROM, solder the EEPROM to the main PCB, and reassemble the cluster. I'm debating whether or not to write a detailed tutorial on how to do it (depending on if people seem interested). I am also thinking about programming and selling F-Sport clusters with people's requested mileage.
So what if I buy a cluster that's like 2k miles higher than mine, could I just wait for my car to hit that mileage and replace it then without any of that?
Old 05-04-18, 01:47 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,501 Likes on 1,803 Posts

So what if I buy a cluster that's like 2k miles higher than mine, could I just wait for my car to hit that mileage and replace it then without any of that?
If you don't like waiting, check out this thread - sounds like we might get some instructions on how to correct the mileage: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-model-is.html
Old 05-04-18, 01:48 PM
bgeims
Driver School Candidate

That is correct. I initially wanted to do that but could not find a cluster close enough to my vehicle's mileage.
Old 05-04-18, 02:00 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,564 Posts

Honestly the cluster isn't all that great. the graphics are bland and low res. you can tell it's a budget screen and its buzzy and loud when it slides over. i hope the next IS has a full LED/LCD high res sharp screen. Just have the speedo digital instead of a motorized one which is prone to fail.
Old 05-04-18, 02:13 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,501 Likes on 1,803 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Honestly the cluster isn't all that great. the graphics are bland and low res. you can tell it's a budget screen and its buzzy and loud when it slides over. i hope the next IS has a full LED/LCD high res sharp screen. Just have the speedo digital instead of a motorized one which is prone to fail.
I disagree - I would much rather have the F Sport gauges compared to the vanilla-looking ones in the non-F Sport models, with their small center screen. It's a nice wow factor any time someone new gets in my car
The following 2 users liked this post by arentz07:
BrettKA7 (02-18-19), LaZeR (04-22-20)
Old 05-04-18, 02:18 PM
dkotoric
Pole Position

I agree I like it a lot plus I hate not having a dogital speedometer
The following users liked this post:
LaZeR (04-22-20)
Old 05-04-18, 02:45 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Why is it prone to fail? I haven't seen one on the forums that has a problem with the motorized screen.
The following 2 users liked this post by EZZ:
BrettKA7 (02-18-19), ihateu3 (09-22-20)
Old 05-19-18, 07:22 AM
dkotoric
Pole Position

Got my cluster and hooked it up and works perfectly, just have to wait 7k miles to use it as its hugher than mine and dont want tk role it back as it sounds like to much work, if anyone wants to buy it, hit me up as i foufound another thats within 1k miles of my car
The following users liked this post:
EoIS300NJ (09-24-20)
Old 06-19-18, 08:48 AM
dkotoric
Pole Position

Wondering if you guys know by any chance if I would have any issues installing a cluster from a 2016 IS200T FSport with Navigation in my 2016 IS200T Base without Navigation. Not sure if the navigation does anything or if there will just be a navigation menu that I wouldn't be able to use?
Old 06-19-18, 08:55 AM
bgeims
Driver School Candidate

My IS has factory navigation and the cluster I bought came from a vehicle with factory navigation. There is a blue connector on the back of the cluster that is used for navigation information. I’m sure the cluster would operate, but you may have an error message and/or an unusable navigation menu.
Old 06-19-18, 08:59 AM
dkotoric
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bgeims
My IS has factory navigation and the cluster I bought came from a vehicle with factory navigation. There is a blue connector on the back of the cluster that is used for navigation information. I’m sure the cluster would operate, but you may have an error message and/or an unusable navigation menu.
Hmm the one i bought wich is from one without Navigation also has the blue connector its just not used. Found another one with almost identical mileage as mine car and was going to buy it but it has navigation, decisions decisions.

Quick Reply: Gauge cluster swap