Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2019 VW Jetta

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-18, 06:00 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts
Default 2019 VW Jetta

Source
Old 01-14-18, 06:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I like the rather plain styling. I'm generally not a fan of cars that IMO overdo it. Look at the size, though (or, at least, the perceived size, from the image).....not long ago, that would have almost qualified as a Passat LOL.
Old 01-14-18, 07:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I like the rather plain styling.
Me too. I like the plain design. I liked the last gen Jetta, this one looks OK too.
Old 01-14-18, 08:05 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Too conservatively styled for me and design seems dated. A 2000 Focus sedan comes to mind on the exterior and Dodge Dart on the interior.

Old 01-14-18, 08:20 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Pretty nice styling. It's clean, inoffensive, and easy on the eyes. What I do not like is the frameless grille. It's as if VW ran out of money and could only afford to trim the upper length. Same with the chrome around the windows, where only the bottom is covered. Was it that much more costly to finish it off all the way around? Tacky.
Interior is very clean and simple, but doesn't push the envelope enough. I predict the pros will be calling it dated in about four years. Also, the center dash vents are far too low to do any good. For me, one who never uses the A/C, that wouldn't be a problem. I rather have the nav higher up, more in line with vision, but not propped up above the dash like on most Audis. Lastly, can one choose a different color other than red for the disco interior lighting? Looks overdone and too bright.
Overall, need to see more pics of it parked. The wheels will play a big roll, and hopefully VW didn't go the Hot Wheels look. Also can't tell how the taillights are styled.
Old 01-15-18, 08:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

i like the proportions and relatively upscale looking interior, but other than that... meh. vw seems to have honed in on boring styling with recent releases and maybe they'll find a place against 'not boring' toyotas, etc.
Old 01-15-18, 01:03 PM
mk416
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

I just leased a 2017 base model for strictly commuting purpose, and I really enjoy it. Great power, great MPG, humongous trunk space (very long, almost as long as a full-size luxury length), lots of options to get (like Android Auto/Apple CarPlay), and ALL automatic powered windows (one-click up/down).

Also, their leasing program is amazing compared to Toyota/ Honda. I avoided Korean cars because I did not like their customer service; similarly, I did not like Chevy's service either or else I would've gotten a Cruze.

All in all, I would lease a Jetta again as a daily commuter. Would not go back to a Japanese one until they offer similar program/options.
Old 01-15-18, 01:25 PM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Not gonna lie, I like the way it looks. But I am resolved to never buy a VW product. Through late 2015, I was planning on getting a Golf R manual, thank goodness I came to my senses lol
Old 01-15-18, 08:52 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mk416
I just leased a 2017 base model for strictly commuting purpose, and I really enjoy it. Great power, great MPG, humongous trunk space (very long, almost as long as a full-size luxury length), lots of options to get (like Android Auto/Apple CarPlay), and ALL automatic powered windows (one-click up/down).

Also, their leasing program is amazing compared to Toyota/ Honda. I avoided Korean cars because I did not like their customer service; similarly, I did not like Chevy's service either or else I would've gotten a Cruze.

All in all, I would lease a Jetta again as a daily commuter. Would not go back to a Japanese one until they offer similar program/options.
Those are interesting observations, thanks for sharing. I too am looking for a simple commuter car with four doors, that gets good mileage. I once had a Passat, which I absolutely loved, but it suffered from reliability problems over time. The only thing keeping me away from VW is my memory of that, plus what Consumer Reports says. VW is continually hovering between average and below average these days. I hope you have good luck with yours.
Old 01-15-18, 09:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I once had a Passat, which I absolutely loved, but it suffered from reliability problems over time. The only thing keeping me away from VW is my memory of that, plus what Consumer Reports says. VW is continually hovering between average and below average these days.
I don't believe in holding a grudge myself...but a lot of people, reliability problems or not, won't touch a VW product today because, of course, the diesel-emission scandal.

I too am looking for a simple commuter car with four doors, that gets good mileage.
If you want a smaller four-door that might be ideal for commuting, you might want to take a look at the upcoming Honda Insight hybrid, or the existing Hyundai Ioniq and Kia Niro. I can testify from review-experience that both the Niro and Ioniq are well-built, reasonably priced, have extremely good hardware inside and out, and get excellent mileage. The Insight, at least on paper, also looks like it will be a good contender, but I want to see it for myself at the D.C. auto show (and a later test-drive) before making any more comments.

https://automobiles.honda.com/future...insight-hybrid
Old 01-15-18, 09:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mk416

Congratuations. I see you are not one to hold a grudge...a lot of people won't deal with VW because of the emissions scandal. Like I said in the post above, though, I'm generally not one to hold a grudge, either.....though there came a time in my own life (a long time ago, back in the early 1980s) when I had to say enough was enough, and I just wasn't going to spend any more money on the American-designed junk of that period. I converted to Japanese cars, like millions of others, during the 1980s......but, today, the market is quite different from then. The first sign of a (once-again) good American car was the Saturn S-series of the 1990s.

I avoided Korean cars because I did not like their customer service;
Customer service among Korean car dealerships varies enormously.....some are like crap; others treat you like a king. And, sometimes, it can vary even at the same dealership if and when new managers and/or employees come and go.

I did not like Chevy's service either or else I would've gotten a Cruze.
Our and above the dealer-service, Did you actually look at the Cruze diesel? I did a review on one some time ago, though they can be hard to find at dealerships, and are not readily kept in stock.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-15-18 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-15-18, 10:14 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I don't believe in holding a grudge myself...but a lot of people, reliability problems or not, won't touch a VW product today because, of course, the diesel-emission scandal.

If you want a smaller four-door that might be ideal for commuting, you might want to take a look at the upcoming Honda Insight hybrid, or the existing Hyundai Ioniq and Kia Niro. I can testify from review-experience that both the Niro and Ioniq are well-built, reasonably priced, have extremely good hardware inside and out, and get excellent mileage. The Insight, at least on paper, also looks like it will be a good contender, but I want to see it for myself at the D.C. auto show (and a later test-drive) before making any more comments.

https://automobiles.honda.com/future...insight-hybrid
Has nothing to do with holding a grudge or punishing the company. Has everything to do with past experience. As I mentioned, my Passat was not too reliable and today's Consumer Reports does not list most VW's as reliable. My hesitation is due to both those things.

The high-tech Insight, I have a feeling, will be priced much higher than a basic Jetta/Corolla/Sentra/Elantra-classed car. The Ioniq and Niro are a little more reasonable for what's given, but still climb higher than their gas counterparts. Not really apples to apples. A Prius would be more in line, but again, those are mostly priced above their non-hybrid counterparts. Thanks for the suggestions though. I will still look at everything when the time comes.
Old 01-15-18, 10:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,699 Likes on 2,285 Posts

Exterior is very bland but I'd much rather this versus the insane asylum styling of the Avalon. Jetta interior looks nice.
Old 01-15-18, 10:23 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Welcome to the most boring looking car in the world, version 7(okay I did like the Jetta in the early 2000's, looked a bit like an Audi A4)
Old 01-16-18, 07:00 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would say very clean styling, not boring. I'd like to see them stick the Golf R motor in the Jetta... but are ALL Jettas made in Mexico now? Most Golfs are... The R is made in Germany.

From the source link above...

. The big news is the platform switch, with the Jetta hopping onto the MQB platform. MQB is so flexible it's almost misleading to call it a platform, since it underpins everything from the Atlas to the Golf, but it does mean the Jetta can pull goodies out of the MQB parts bin. For example, on SEL and SEL Premium trims you can get the fantastic Digital Cockpit display. Already offered on some Volkswagen and Audi products, it's an impressive sight in the cluster and surely will be a factor in some purchase decisions compared to products with smaller, less-versatile partially digital displays.

Outside, there are sharp edges and familiar but attractive Volkswagen trademark styling queues. LED lighting is standard in the 2019 Jetta, and the sedan has grown in every dimension. The wheelbase is 1.3 inches longer, and it's also wider and taller (although we don't have those dimensions yet). In person, the camouflaged Jetta didn't seem enormous despite a nicely roomy back seat, so don't worry that it's jumped a size category or anything. Its overhangs are indeed shorter, which is great.

Unmentioned in the release but apparent at a glance, a high-trim level prototype revealed an old friend: the torsion-beam rear suspension, which was excised from the previous generation in response to critical feedback about the car's level of sophistication. As I said in our previous review, torsion beams are very attractive from a cost and packaging perspective, and the Jetta's trunk is cavernous. VW North American engineering chief Matthias Erb told us, in a characteristic moment of frankness, that VW's reliance on turbocharged engines means it's at a bit of a disadvantage in terms of per-unit cost. Saving some money in an area that a typical commuter almost certainly won't notice isn't a terrible idea. Honestly. If this ends up on a future GLI, though, I reserve the right to complain.

I was also told by a Volkswagen engineer on that trip that the company had gotten feedback from consumers that even the last-gen car, a very Americanized product for VW, rode too stiffly for many of them. So the '19 Jetta is softer still, and even less Teutonic.

Speaking of turbo engines, the familiar 1.4-liter TSI engine is back. It's torquey, at 184 lb-ft, although its horsepower rating (147) is mild. It's relatively uninspired, if powerful enough to get the job done. The prototypes we drove were backed up by an eight-speed auto. I wouldn't describe the powertrain as sporty even with the ability to put it in sport mode.

Somewhat surprisingly, there will still be a manual transmission offered. Even in Volkswagen products, one of the last bastions of the do-it-yourself gearbox, it must be a tough sell to justify federalizing a transmission that surely has a shrinking take rate. At least Volkswagen has insulated itself a bit by making it standard only on the base trim — the automatic is an option on that, and standard on higher trim levels. Note that there's a typical suite of available active safety features, but they're options save the rear-view camera.

The new Jetta goes on sale in the U.S. in the second quarter of 2018.
sigh, do we need a BIGGER Jetta?

Last edited by bagwell; 01-16-18 at 12:29 PM.

Quick Reply: 2019 VW Jetta