RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Just took delivery of an RX 350 - anything that I should know?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-18, 07:58 PM
mrod1975
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just took delivery of an RX 350 - anything that I should know?

Hi everyone,

New first-time Lexus owner here. We just took delivery of a 2017 RX 350 with the following:
  • Obsidian/gray
  • AWD
  • Blind spot monitor/park assist/traffic alert/auto braking/pano view monitor
  • Color heads-up display
  • Touchfree power rear door
  • Heated/ventilated front seats with power folding heated rear seats
  • Triple beam LED headlamps
  • Luxury package
  • Pano moon roof
  • Navigation/ML audio
  • Towing prep package
  • Accessories package (cargo net/cargo mat/wheel locks/key glove)
My questions to you guys are:
  • What things should I be sure are done at the dealership for delivery? (I"m thinking of things like any firmware/software updates, map updates, UI updates, etc.)
  • What accessories do you find essential?
Thank you in advance!

Martin
Old 01-12-18, 08:20 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

See if they will do a map update.
The following users liked this post:
mrod1975 (01-14-18)
Old 01-13-18, 04:12 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Marqevans
See if they will do a map update.
to elaborate, see if you have the latest update, if not i would contact them for an update, they should do that.
if you go to the map, say hit the map button, 3 lined closer to the bottom left area, for information and settings, map something will give you your version number.

21 37 17...... 2017 06 1............ was my version..(per my dealer that is the latest update, my build date was the end of 11/17) ..ML big screen here also.

congrats on the car, same 350 i was looking but took all those goodies and a few more and stuffed it in the rx450. been very happy so far.
enjoy and happy miles to you and yours.

Joel
mrod1975 (01-14-18)
Old 01-13-18, 09:08 AM
goatee
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I think that before you take ownership that you actually need to drive it, without the radio on. Check for the infamous vibration and hesitation issues that are well documented on this forum. If any of these are present, have them corrected before the car is titled to you. I would also consider the mudflaps and rear bumper protector. The side moldings seem to be a love/hate issue but I would get them (that's just my opinion). Good luck.
Old 01-13-18, 09:12 AM
JSracer
Instructor

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

mud flaps and side moldings on mine, very happy i got them. they were installed before they arrived at the dealer.
rear bumper protector, the lux comes with something there already,

good ideas though, for sure.
mrod1975 (01-14-18)
Old 01-14-18, 06:26 PM
mrod1975
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JSracer
to elaborate, see if you have the latest update, if not i would contact them for an update, they should do that.
if you go to the map, say hit the map button, 3 lined closer to the bottom left area, for information and settings, map something will give you your version number.

21 37 17...... 2017 06 1............ was my version..(per my dealer that is the latest update, my build date was the end of 11/17) ..ML big screen here also.

congrats on the car, same 350 i was looking but took all those goodies and a few more and stuffed it in the rx450. been very happy so far.
enjoy and happy miles to you and yours.

Joel

Hey Joel

Thanks for the details. I checked my maps version and have the same as you (thankfully!).

My Gracenote Database is at version 08367.
My Navigation software is at version A11A5570 and my Operating System is at version 17.P460.

What are yours at?

Thanks!

Martin
Old 01-14-18, 06:27 PM
mrod1975
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by goatee
I think that before you take ownership that you actually need to drive it, without the radio on. Check for the infamous vibration and hesitation issues that are well documented on this forum. If any of these are present, have them corrected before the car is titled to you. I would also consider the mudflaps and rear bumper protector. The side moldings seem to be a love/hate issue but I would get them (that's just my opinion). Good luck.
Oh heck yeah, those things were checked, absolutely!

Thanks for the advice.

Martin
Old 07-16-18, 09:32 PM
shimps1
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RX350 Delivery Length and Experience

Wife and I are picking up a 2018 RX350 we ordered within the next couple of days. We're curious if there are any tips that we should know, or ask about during the delivery? We have already looked over the LPS settings, but we're curious what else goes on during delivery, and how long it normally takes? Any tips to make sure we get started on the right foot with this thing?

Thanks!
Old 07-17-18, 03:05 PM
mikemu30
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,348 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by shimps1
Wife and I are picking up a 2018 RX350 we ordered within the next couple of days. We're curious if there are any tips that we should know, or ask about during the delivery? We have already looked over the LPS settings, but we're curious what else goes on during delivery, and how long it normally takes? Any tips to make sure we get started on the right foot with this thing?

Thanks!
Make sure they give you the key fob and enjoy the ride home.
Old 07-17-18, 06:20 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

On my 2018 Rx, I was told by Lexus Dealer's Tech person that Lexus does free annual NAV update automatically now. Hope so, it used to cost $200+- for annual update.
Basic Enform is now free for 10 years. The optional Enform App and other optional Enform services have an annual charge after the first year.

Last edited by RGSW; 07-17-18 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Put in year model of Rx
Old 07-18-18, 03:30 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,059 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by RGSW
On my 2018 Rx, I was told by Lexus Dealer's Tech person that Lexus does free annual NAV update automatically now. Hope so, it used to cost $200+- for annual update.
Basic Enform is now free for 10 years. The optional Enform App and other optional Enform services have an annual charge after the first year.
If this is true it would be shocking. Can anyone confirm this free update.
Old 07-18-18, 08:22 AM
PeeVee
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

How about those that don't have Enform like in Canada?
Old 07-18-18, 08:41 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by RGSW
So far, Lexus Dynamic Navigation FAQ states that only the following models support updated maps through Enform subscription:
2018 LC, LS, RC, NX
Old 07-20-18, 08:09 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Dont forget you can ask them to change certain stuff like blink turn signal duration, I have mine from 3-4. Rolling the windows down when holding the lock button. Changing the color of your vehicle in the pano view monitor. Etc Etc. There is another post on info like this
mrod1975 (07-20-18)
Old 07-20-18, 11:34 AM
mrod1975
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
Dont forget you can ask them to change certain stuff like blink turn signal duration, I have mine from 3-4. Rolling the windows down when holding the lock button. Changing the color of your vehicle in the pano view monitor. Etc Etc. There is another post on info like this
Funny you mention this because yesterday I took in our 2017 RX 350 AWD for the first 5K mile maintenance and asked for the following:

[Their responses are in parentheses]

1. 5K mile maintenance - (Done)

2. Check for updates to this software: (Already up to date)
a. Maps version: 21-37-17[2017-06-1]
b. Navigation version: A11A5570
c. OS version: 17.P460
d. Gracenotes version: 08367
3. Acceleration seems sluggish compared do the loaner they gave me. (They say ECU is updated to the latest version and that it is likely due to me using lowest octane gas instead of premium gas, even though lowest octane is recommended by Lexus. But, they do not use premium gas in the loaner I am driving so maybe it's because mine is AWD and the loaner is 2WD (lighter).

4. Update vehicle color in Navigation screen from white to black. (They said this was not possible this morning so I emailed him a link to a thread from this website showing instructions and that four other 4th Gen owners had it done in the last two years at different dealerships. I'm waiting to hear back if they'll do it or not and suspect that they will do it.)

5. Change key fob to open all windows when Unlock held down. (Done)

6. Change signal blink from three to five. (Done)

7. Enable auto-start with key fob? (Am told this is not possible because it is possible through the Lexus app.)

8. Both front ventilation seats seem weak. (Was told they are operating normally despite pushing less air than the 2017 RX 350 loaner I'm driving today.)

9. Why does the car turn off if you've auto-started it in the Lexus app and then open the door? (Was told yesterday this is by design so that it cannot be stolen. However, other manufacturers leave the car running when the door is unlocked and opened, namely Tesla and GM vehicles.)

Any thoughts/feedback are welcome from you guys.

Martin

Quick Reply: Just took delivery of an RX 350 - anything that I should know?