Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Took delivery of my 2017 LS460L

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-18, 09:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts
Default Took delivery of my 2017 LS460L

Picked it up today, got to see it being unloaded from the truck. Luckily the rain held off! Spent all evening cleaning it up, it was filthy even after they washed it from the truck trip, its shining all perfect now. The dealer in Alabama also slathered the whole interior in armor all, so I had to spray down all the interior panels and clean all the leather, luckily it did come off and it looks all fresh and new again.

The car is awesome. The LWB and the air suspension do wonders for the ride, which is hard to believe because my 2015 rode so great. Its interesting the difference between AWD and RWD, I can absolutely tell. The car feels slightly quicker, but the steering is much lighter and the car overall feels better. There was always something "different" about my 2015 LS460 compared to my LS430 and LS400, and I can safely say that difference was the AWD. Love the ride in comfort mode.

An interesting thing, the engine on this is much quieter. At idle it has much less of that DI ticking, and under acceleration it is quieter. I can see why people say the AWD sounds throatier. The engine sounds different at startup also, very interesting.

ML Audio is awesome, still playing around with the settings. I liked the base audio in surround mode but the ML seems to sound better out of that mode. Even XM sounds good which I was concerned about.

Radar cruise works great. my first experience with Lexus' system. Smoother than what I've had from Chrysler/Jeep and Kia. The LED lights will take some getting used to over the HID, the HID seemed to have a fuller wider beam.

The space of the LWB is awesome.

So monday full front SunTek Ultra clear bra goes on and it gets tinted. What do you guys think, 30% or 40%? Formula One Pinnacle like was on my 2015. It was 30%, but I'm worried with the black interior that might be too dark.

Also, because it came from AL it has no front plate. Salesman convinced me to leave it off. We'll see how that goes.

Here are some quick iPhone pics. Saturday is going to be a nice day and I will take better pictures.

Old 01-11-18, 09:22 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 476 Likes on 299 Posts

Congratulations!
Old 01-11-18, 09:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Why didn't you go with the new model?
Old 01-11-18, 09:37 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Yay, congrats, and thanks for sharing initial impressions. didn't realize your other one was awd or that it didn't have radar cruise. Hard to imagine an ls wouldn't have it. i use the radar cruise in my jeep every time i drive it. Definitely makes for a more relaxing trip.
Old 01-11-18, 09:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yay, congrats, and thanks for sharing initial impressions. didn't realize your other one was awd or that it didn't have radar cruise. Hard to imagine an ls wouldn't have it. i use the radar cruise in my jeep every time i drive it. Definitely makes for a more relaxing trip.
Actually very few LS460s have it. They package it in expensive packages, for instance the only way to get it here is to do what I did and get a southern RWD car.

Originally Posted by Och
Why didn't you go with the new model?
Several reasons. Mainly because of drive reviews showing that it’s going to be a firmer more dynamic car, lack of a V8, and I don’t love the styling, and some choices they made inside. This is he last “classic Lexus”IMHO.

The $20k they gave me off of it helped too lol
Old 01-11-18, 09:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Congratulations. From the image of the reddish-brick tiles out front and the shape of the building/showroom, looks like you picked it up at Lexus of Silver Spring. I've done a couple of reviews there....one of them the original 2008 IS-F. Close friend of mine lives just a few minutes away, off of Route 29.

Spent all evening cleaning it up, it was filthy even after they washed it from the truck trip
That's what they get for paying those PDI (Pre-Delivery-Inspection) guys minimum wage LOL.

An interesting thing, the engine on this is much quieter. At idle it has much less of that DI ticking, and under acceleration it is quieter.
Yeah, that DI ticking can get irksome, but it generally gets quieter as the engine warms up, because the mixture leans out and the injectors don't have to pulse as much fuel in under that very high pressure. The DI in my Lacrosse's 3.6L V6 is actually more of a light thrumming sound than ticking per se....each engine, of course, is somewhat different in its exact noise-characteristics. And, you usually won't hear it with the stereo at average volume.

Also, because it came from AL it has no front plate. Salesman convinced me to leave it off. We'll see how that goes.
Maryland, of course, requires double-plates for most of its vehicles, but I often, both in MD and VA, see cars running around with the front plate actually set on the right-front dash so that it can be seen through the windshield (and prevent a cop from writing a ticket). Care, of course, has to be taken doing that so that it is not near where the air bag could go off. I'm surprised that the dealership in AL didn't put on the front-plate attachment (that probably should have been included in the negotiated price), as they (apparently) knew that the car was going to MD.

ML Audio is awesome, still playing around with the settings. I liked the base audio in surround mode but the ML seems to sound better out of that mode. Even XM sounds good which I was concerned about.
I know you aren't kidding about that. I've heard the Mark Levinson unit in the LS, and it is arguably the best automotive stereo in existence.

So monday full front SunTek Ultra clear bra goes on and it gets tinted. What do you guys think, 30% or 40%? Formula One Pinnacle like was on my 2015. It was 30%, but I'm worried with the black interior that might be too dark.
I don't really have a recommendation, except to point out that, in most cases, all else equal, darker tint means more difficult vision out the windows at night.

Here are some quick iPhone pics. Saturday is going to be a nice day and I will take better pictures.
Saturday should be dry, but with wind blowing and a LOT colder than the 65-70 degrees and rain we'll see on Friday. We're going back into winter next week.....but not the extreme cold outbreak we saw between Christmas and last weekend.

So......now, I guess it will be SW17LS.

Last edited by mmarshall; 01-11-18 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-11-18, 09:56 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Wow $20K off?
That’s pretty persuasive lol
Old 01-11-18, 10:13 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The best looking LS this gen was the OG LS600hL.

Took delivery of my 2017 LS460L-u6sthtt.jpg
Old 01-11-18, 10:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks guys!

Mr Burns, there was a 600 just like that being picked up from service while I was taking delivery of mine.
Old 01-11-18, 10:28 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
The best looking LS this gen was the OG LS600hL.

I agree. I remember seeing an older lady drive this car when it first came out. The thing looked high class. Still is.
Old 01-12-18, 12:19 AM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Actually very few LS460s have it. They package it in expensive packages, for instance the only way to get it here is to do what I did and get a southern RWD car.

Several reasons. Mainly because of drive reviews showing that it’s going to be a firmer more dynamic car, lack of a V8, and I don’t love the styling, and some choices they made inside. This is he last “classic Lexus”IMHO.

The $20k they gave me off of it helped too lol
Did you buy this one or lease it?

V.
Old 01-12-18, 01:12 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Excellent choice. Smart, safe, comfortable, secure, efficient, and unique. I don't think I've seen one new LS on the road in over a year. Will be a top-notch ride for you for years to come.
Enjoy!
Old 01-12-18, 04:41 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Now that is a proper looking sedan. Also my favorite color combo. Congrats on the new vehicle I am sure you will love it!
Old 01-12-18, 05:00 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
From the image of the reddish-brick tiles out front and the shape of the building/showroom, looks like you picked it up at Lexus of Silver Spring.
I've never been to this dealer, but I would have guessed that too.

Originally Posted by SW15LS

Congrats on the new ride, Steve!
Old 01-12-18, 05:14 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Congrats! Might be the last of the V8s for now.....that dealer is on the way to our friends' place, have driven by several times.

p.s. how come the selling dealership didn't clean the interior, is it that they didn't have enough time between it being unloaded and the delivery to you? That's their job not yours lol

Quick Reply: Took delivery of my 2017 LS460L