Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Stinger GT AWD Limited - Owner Review and Comparison to Lexus & Audi

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-18, 11:41 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Stinger GT AWD Limited - Owner Review and Comparison to Lexus & Audi

As a car enthusiast my entire life, considering a Kia, let alone purchasing one, was never on my radar. Acura, Audi, and Lexus primarily, have filled my driveways over the years all with their pros and cons. Lexus however, has been by far the most rewarding and why I have been a repeat buyer of the brand for many years. My most recent stable included a 2017 IS F Sport AWD and RX F Sport, and a beast of a performance car, the 2015 RC F. However, something has been lacking lately with Lexus. What I had in performance in the RC F, I was able to use it just seldom times. What I had in AWD traction and sedan practicality with the IS, lacked in performance. And herein comes the top-of-the-line Stinger GT AWD Limited. Best of both worlds an actual possibility?

Some, including my wife and kids, thought I was nuts to eliminate two Lexus vehicles... for a Kia?*!?* because this is the reality of brand perception still today. Little do they know however what a stellar product this Kia is and for those who know me and my loyalties to Lexus, says volumes on the product the Stinger is, or to some extent, what Lexus is lacking. So what's with all the hype? As no car is perfect, let's see where the Stinger shines and where it does less so, in comparison to my past rides.

For those who want the Coles Notes version, see summary below. Otherwise grab a coffee and keep reading for more detail!

Summary Pros:
- Styling
- Ride quality
- Exterior/interior quality materials, fit & finish (with some exceptions)
- Solid-feeling build quality
- Premium tactile feel of the switch gear
- Smooth and powerful V6TT acceleration
- Relatively quiet ride
- Tech and luxury features
- Cargo capacity/rear-hatch practicality
- Sporty nimble handling
- AWD grip/traction
- Powerful braking
- Price and value

Summary Cons:
- Barely any exhaust note
- Some cheap plastics
- Some (minor) initial quality issues
- Poor fuel economy
- Tight rear headroom
- Equipped with summer tires (OEM)
- Brand stigma

So what's not to like of the styling? A bit of BMW kidney grille at the front, a hint of Audi A7/Porsche Panamera in its silhouette and proportions, and a touch of Italian flair with the Maserati Gran Turismo at the rear. Combine this with Audi S styling elements such as the dark chrome mirrors, red Brembo calipers, and other accents, the Stinger GT stands out in a somewhat conservative premium crowd of sports sedans.

The interior carries a similar theme with a more pronounced Audi influence, from the gauges, circular vents, gear selector, switches, door panels, and overall design. Quality of materials are also Audi-like from the solid feeling door panels and grab handles, superior tactile feel in the HVAC/Radio controls, and solid-clicking paddle shifters. Parts gaps are Lexus-like, which is to say at a minimum, where everything is put together with precision and consistency while material quality is as good if not better than the Lexus IS. For instance, both cars have similar "OK" quality hard plastic lower door panels, but the GT has real aluminum trim in door panels/console vs plastic "F Sport" trim in the IS. In addition, we find premium alcantara headliner in the GT! Of course, the RC F has genuine carbon fiber trim and a slightly more premium interior. On the downside, the dash stitching is not as consistent and tight in the GT as you find in Lexus and both the steering wheel airbag cover and console surrounding the rear vents has a cheaper grade plastic that slightly hurts an otherwise premium Audi-like interior. I am also experiencing a rattle in the rear hatch though a TSB is already out on the fix and my dealer has ordered the parts. Rear seat headroom is limited otherwise slightly larger than the IS and about like the A4. No comparison regarding the cargo which is where the Stinger's rear hatch can swallow 50% more.

Overall interior craftsmanship: 98% as good as the Audi A4/RC F. Slightly better than the IS.

The exterior paint and fit/finish are top-notch. Barely any orange-peel texture is visible though the striking metallic Thunder Grey/Panthera Metal color would help mask any defects. For Lexus buffs, this color is a near match to the deep Smoky Granite Mica. Panel fit and gaps around the hood are visibly consistent all around and the same goes with the hatch, bumper covers, window trim, and semi-panoramic roof panel. However, it is not perfect. Two visible defects exist: the rubber molding is not flush to the B-pillar door frame and the driver's door panel is not flush to the rear door. I had similar trim defects with the A4 while the IS and RC F had zero.

Overall exterior craftsmanship: Equal to the A4. Slightly below the IS/RC F.

Ride quality is good for this performance GT. Suspension is taut but not overly firm. It's not pillowy-soft yet bumps and road imperfections are soaked up with minimal harshness or intrusion in the cabin. In Sport mode, dampers tighten a bit more resulting in a slightly firmer ride, though I have yet to experience a harsh ride. The long-wheelbase contributes to the relatively smooth and comfortable ride. Seat comfort is excellent thanks to the multiple adjustments including a thigh extender and adjustable side bolsters edging out the A4's sport seats but come short to the IS F Sport and RC F seats. Those seats fit like a glove despite minimal adjustment capability and are the seats to beat in their class. Noise-levels are luxury-class good thanks to laminated side glass not found in the IS and RC F though a touch of road noise intrudes at higher speeds.

Overall ride comfort: Not a Lexus ES, but equals the A4 S-Line and is slightly above the IS and more so against the RC F.

Performance is exceptional in this price range thanks to the powerful RC F-like acceleration and although the engine is very smooth and effortlessly quiet, I wish there was a more exciting audible exhaust note. However, this can be somewhat mitigated by an aftermarket exhaust. Engine/transmission response is better than expected with minimal turbo lag though both IS and RC F's N/A engines and excellent throttle input provide a slightly more immediate response, but the GT's torque is more strongly felt than the RC F in the low-mid range giving a sense of better acceleration in city driving. The RC F, though, pulls more powerfully from 4k-7300 rpm where the GT's 3.3L TT V6 starts to run our of steam. The A4's and Lexus NX's 2.0T 4cyl, in contrast, have more noticeable lag and well weaker accelerations. The 3.5L V6 in ithe IS has good power and torque throughout the rev-range but falls short on acceleration. Cornering and body roll are at a minimum in the GT, similar to the IS and A4, while its agility and overall grip/handling is better than the IS F Sport and A4 S-Line. I can say the IS and A4 understeer a touch and the electronic safety nannies in the IS allow limited driver input to add power to the rear to allow for some oversteer correction. The track-bred RC F though is in a higher league and although the GT has a similar nimble feel that belies its 4150 lb weight, I don't see the GT getting that close to the RC F on a track.

Overall performance: Way better than IS/A4. Although in a drag race the GT AWD can be neck and neck with the RC F RWD in colder temps, the GT is not quite in the same league overall as the RC F.

Braking and AWD traction on Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ (I replaced the OEM Michelin Pilot Sport 4S summers) are excellent making the car feel more secure than the IS AWD on Bridgestone Potenza all-seasons both on dry, wet, and snow-covered roads. Braking is more powerful than the IS and is close to if not similar to the RC F which has 1"+ larger 15" diameter Brembo brakes. Handling grip is also surprisingly pretty good on the Michelin A/S tires in winter city driving though this is more a credit to the tires than the actual car. With the heavy winter snowfall these days, so far, I have yet to be stuck with the Stinger GT AWD.

Overall braking and traction: Similar to the A4, slightly better than the IS. RC F better in dry grip and braking (but forget snow...)

Technology is another strong point with the Stinger. Without going over every safety and tech offering that at least matches the Audi and Lexus offerings, I will point out the key additional appointments:

- 360 deg camera provides a clear view to clearances all around the car. IS and RC F don't offer this, only a rear backup cam. My A4 didn't have this.
- Heated rear seats are a toasty convenience for the two outboard passengers and the switch is conveniently located on the door armrest. IS and RC F don't offer this. My A4 didn't have this.
- Wireless charging dock is large, easily accommodates my Galaxy S8 and charges it easily without worrying about exact placement of the phone. IS and RC F don't offer this. My A4 didn't have this
- HUD is convenient to see the GT's speed, directions, and other info while driving. IS and RC F don't offer this. My A4 didn't have this.
- Full-speed adaptive cruise control. IS and RC F only works above 25 mph. My A4 didn't have this.
- Custom accent LED lighting. IS has none while the RC F does on the door but color is white only. My A4 had this.
- UVO Intelligence, free for 5 years. Prior to 2018, the IS and RC F (in Canada) have no such telematics and remote control services which would be available via Enform subscription in the US. My A4 didn't have this.
- Nappa Leather. IS F Sport does not offer leather, only Nuluxe which is however, convincingly real and durable. My A4 had standard leather (stiffer).
- Memory seating with power tilt/telescoping steering wheel. IS F Sport does not offer this. My A4 didn't have this.
- Power adjustable thigh extension and seat bolsters. IS and RC F do not offer this. My A4 had a manual extension.
- Power rear hatch with hand-free auto-opening operation. IS and RC F require the push of a button on the trunk or key fob to open the trunk. A4 similar.
- Android Auto/Apple Car Play integration. None available in any Lexus. My A4 had this.

Overall tech: Superior to Lexus and my A4, though these features can all be had with the A4/A5 at a higher price of entry over the GT.

Fuel economy. Thankfully, it is not a priority for me, otherwise the GT is pretty bad. I'm averaging a dismal 15L/100 km (~16 mpg), worse than the RC F though I have only driven the RC F in warmer summer temps. I expect the GT's fuel economy to improve with increased highway mileage, warmer temps, and after the break-in period. I would easily average around 9L/100km (26 mpg) with the A4 mixed city/hwy. I averaged about 13L/100km with the IS 300 AWD mostly city. All cars require or recommend Premium fuel.

Overall fuel economy: The GT is not great for today's standards even with 365 hp. It about equals the 467hp V8 RC F. The A4, with it's 2L Turbo 4cyl, is superior and can easily save you 100$+ a month on fuel.

In conclusion, for perspective, an IS 300 F Sport AWD Series 2 in Canada has an identical $50K MSRP to the Stinger GT AWD Limited and within a few hundred dollars to the mid-grade A4 S-Line FWD I had. A loaded IS 350 AWD is $4K more and lacks most of the additional tech listed above while the A4 (or A5 Sportback) Quattro will set you back and additional $7-9K. Forget a similarly equipped (and performing) S4 or S5 Sportback which will set you back over $20k more! Of course, for some (including myself for many years), the badge adds a worthy cost premium backed by the exceptional dealer service, perks, and intangibles that put a smile on your face. However, in 2018, I'm smiling not for the badge, but for the thrill in performance, tech, and equally premium materials, fit & finish with the extra thousands $ in my pocket. The Stinger GT AWD Limited has re-written the rules in the near-luxury sport-sedan (hatch) segment and as Lexus once did back in 1989, competitors need not be arrogant and ignore this newcomer.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-07-18 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-07-18, 11:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Wow, that is a surprising trade, congrats! Your pics aren't working unfortunately.

My ownership experience with Kia was overall very positive. Clearly, your Stinger is a much higher performance and quality product than my Sedona minivan, but build quality was very good as was solidity and durability. Dealer service wasn't great, but very typical mainstream.

One thing I did find is that while the product is very good, that vehicle lacked some polish in areas that didn't bother me at first, but did over time. Like I said though, the Stinger is a much higher end product though.

Looking forward to your thoughts over time!
Old 01-07-18, 12:07 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Nice write-up! Keep us updated on the rattle "fix".

I'm still up in the air on my next vehicle. It could be anything from a sports car, to a lux wagon, but I'm liking what I'm seeing from the Koreans.
Old 01-07-18, 12:09 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Wow, that is a surprising trade, congrats! Your pics aren't working unfortunately.

My ownership experience with Kia was overall very positive. Clearly, your Stinger is a much higher performance and quality product than my Sedona minivan, but build quality was very good as was solidity and durability. Dealer service wasn't great, but very typical mainstream.

One thing I did find is that while the product is very good, that vehicle lacked some polish in areas that didn't bother me at first, but did over time. Like I said though, the Stinger is a much higher end product though.

Looking forward to your thoughts over time!

Thanks for pointing out the pics. I believe it is fixed now!

Agree, time will tell since for example, reliability is still undetermined though risk is low considering Kia's recent quality and reliability track record!
Old 01-07-18, 12:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I see your pics now, great looking car!

I wouldn't worry about reliability, I'm sure it'll be just fine.
Old 01-07-18, 12:38 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice review. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-07-18, 12:54 PM
Pacman9270
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome consumer review! I'm not in the market but really appreciate information like this. Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-07-18, 12:58 PM
AWD4Mo
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good review; it sounded like you tried to be as fair as possible. Two questions:
1. How many miles did you put on before the review?
2. What were the "minor" initial quality issues?
Old 01-07-18, 02:50 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Great review car is overall a winner in my book. Will be interesting to see what options the aftermarket offers for tuning etc...
Old 01-07-18, 03:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for the write-up, Corrado. Glad you're enjoying it. I haven't done a test-drive yet (that's coming up), but I have done a thorough static review inside and out, and your description is very close to mine.
Old 01-07-18, 03:57 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Can't fault Kia for pulling in the best attributes from some of the best cars out there today. They seemingly pulled it off. My car has some cheap plastics in it as well. The headlight dial, for example, feels cheap versus everything else in there. Doesn't bother me, but that one dial is marginally less than the other stuff in there, that's for sure. No idea why they decided to skimp out on that other than assuming we would just turn it to AUTO and never touch it again (which is partially true I guess).

Just curious how those summer tires are in snow? I know that rubber compound hardens below a certain temperature threshold. This is the first car that I've owned that came with summer tires. Now it doesn't snow where I live but it does drop below freezing. However, I haven't felt the need to change them yet, but if I lived in a snowy area I would definitely get separate winter tires or at least all-seasons. I may switch to all-seasons anyways, but the summers are nice...when it's warm.
Old 01-07-18, 06:48 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Mike728
Nice write-up! Keep us updated on the rattle "fix".

I'm still up in the air on my next vehicle. It could be anything from a sports car, to a lux wagon, but I'm liking what I'm seeing from the Koreans.
Thanks. Rattle fix should be permanent since one member on the stingerforum got his fixed successfully. Kia is now definitely on the map for me!

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I see your pics now, great looking car!

I wouldn't worry about reliability, I'm sure it'll be just fine.
Yeah, not concerned really, especially since I typically change cars every couple of years max!

Originally Posted by Pacman9270
Awesome consumer review! I'm not in the market but really appreciate information like this. Thanks for sharing!
My pleasure!

Originally Posted by AWD4Mo
Good review; it sounded like you tried to be as fair as possible. Two questions:
1. How many miles did you put on before the review?
2. What were the "minor" initial quality issues?
Thanks.
1. About 175 miles.
2. Rubber trim not flush in the B-pillar (pic above in the review) and driver door protruding ~ 2mm relative to the rear door (should be flush, see pic below).

Originally Posted by plex
Great review car is overall a winner in my book. Will be interesting to see what options the aftermarket offers for tuning etc...
On stingerforum.org, already one tuner working on getting more power.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks for the write-up, Corrado. Glad you're enjoying it. I haven't done a test-drive yet (that's coming up), but I have done a thorough static review inside and out, and your description is very close to mine.
Yep, read it and you'll test drive it next week after the weather improves?

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Can't fault Kia for pulling in the best attributes from some of the best cars out there today. They seemingly pulled it off. My car has some cheap plastics in it as well. The headlight dial, for example, feels cheap versus everything else in there. Doesn't bother me, but that one dial is marginally less than the other stuff in there, that's for sure. No idea why they decided to skimp out on that other than assuming we would just turn it to AUTO and never touch it again (which is partially true I guess).

Just curious how those summer tires are in snow? I know that rubber compound hardens below a certain temperature threshold. This is the first car that I've owned that came with summer tires. Now it doesn't snow where I live but it does drop below freezing. However, I haven't felt the need to change them yet, but if I lived in a snowy area I would definitely get separate winter tires or at least all-seasons. I may switch to all-seasons anyways, but the summers are nice...when it's warm.
Exactly my point. Even more expensive cars have some cheap bits, typically in less visible areas. I'm far from a Kia fanboy since I'm still getting over the badge. However, the luxury brands need to take note and step up their game to differentiate their products from the mainstream ones to justify the price premium since the gap on quality, fit/finish, tech, performance, and materials has essentially been eliminated with a car like the Stinger. I hope Lexus builds a truly competitive 4IS released in a couple of years with no carryover powertrains please, more tech, and I will be back in one!

I actually got the dealer to install Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ tires at the time of delivery for the exact reason the Stinger GT comes only with the Pilot Sport 4s summer tires. Go figure - an AWD car in the Canadian market launched in December equipped with high-performance Michelin summer rubber.

Last edited by corradoMR2; 01-07-18 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-08-18, 06:45 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks for the write up, it was a good read. How was your dealership/buying experience?
Old 01-08-18, 07:10 AM
AWD4Mo
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Given that you have put on only 175 miles, I consider your review to be an "initial ownership review", sorta like JDPower's initial quality review!
The problems with "initial" quality reviews are:
1. None of the quality issues have yet surfaced
2. Its based on a new owner..... meaning that the car is fresh, new, and the owner is still in the "I'm in love with it" stage
3. We all have big ego's...... we find it hard to admit that we may have made the wrong choice; its much easier to tame it down and not have to admit it.
I look forward to a review when you have put on 20,000 miles - that would be a much more realistic review because of 1 and 2. Possibly 3 will no longer be an issue then!
Don't worry, its not just your review, I'm skeptical about JDPower's Initial review of anything, for the same reasons.
Enjoy the car.
Old 01-08-18, 07:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by AWD4Mo
Given that you have put on only 175 miles, I consider your review to be an "initial ownership review", sorta like JDPower's initial quality review!
The problems with "initial" quality reviews are:
1. None of the quality issues have yet surfaced
2. Its based on a new owner..... meaning that the car is fresh, new, and the owner is still in the "I'm in love with it" stage
3. We all have big ego's...... we find it hard to admit that we may have made the wrong choice; its much easier to tame it down and not have to admit it.
I look forward to a review when you have put on 20,000 miles - that would be a much more realistic review because of 1 and 2. Possibly 3 will no longer be an issue then!
Don't worry, its not just your review, I'm skeptical about JDPower's Initial review of anything, for the same reasons.
Enjoy the car.
ah, the expected 'no true scotsman' attack. and i'm sure he's not 'worried'.what online review source do you go to for cars with at least 20,000 miles? the only one i know is motorweek's long term update which only covers a handful of cars a year.

Quick Reply: Stinger GT AWD Limited - Owner Review and Comparison to Lexus & Audi