SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Problems highlighted by the cold

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-18, 09:39 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 409 Likes on 359 Posts
Default Problems highlighted by the cold

The recent cold snap locally made it evident that my car has some problems that will need attention fairly soon. Considering that this is a 2002 and approaching 16 years old, these items seem pretty minor but still annoying.

When the temperatures were in the teens a week or so ago, I noticed that my antenna didn't go all the way down after shutting it off. I at first thought that it had fallen prey to the antenna feed "cable" that either loses teeth or breaks. However, I noticed that it went all the way up the next time I used it and when I shut it down, it went farther down. (It was a few degrees warmer this time.) So rather than make the situation worse, I decided to not use the radio again until it got above freezing. So next time it was above freezing, I used the radio and when I shut it off, it retracted all the way. I suspect that this means that the motor is running on life support. I may be able to revive it by taking it out and lubricating the motor. (I seem to remember from past threads that removing the powered antenna takes a lot of effort though, so it may be worth buying a replacement as a backup rather than leaving my daily driver radio-less while waiting for parts.) Thoughts?

Since it has started getting cold, my TPS warning light has started coming on. It will randomly light up and then later shut down. I checked my tire pressures and all were well within the pressure spec. So I suspect that I have a sensor on its way out. I've had at least 2 of the original sensors replaced so far (maybe 3?), so I'm guessing that I need to take care of this fairly soon. (I've lost my Techstream, so I don't have a way to personally check it right now. I'll probably have to buy a new one.)

My passenger mirror has become intermittently unreliable to raise. One time it got stuck, so I waited until I went over some railroad tracks to it the up direction and it worked. That has happened a couple of times now so I suspect that some of the teeth on the gears have worn or broken off. I know that there didn't used to be parts available but I'm wondering with the aging of all these cars (SC & LS) whether repair kits or internal replacement parts have come available. Anyone know about that? (I'll have to do some searching later.) I'm really not looking forward to tearing this apart after reading the lengths to which folks had to go to in working on their mirrors in earlier threads, especially considering how fragile the pieces seem to be when disassembly is attempted.

I need to find the proper glue to reattach my hood's Lexus emblem. It recently debadged itself when I shut the hood.
Old 01-06-18, 10:43 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 855 Likes on 688 Posts

You could try to lube the mast

TPMS, I think you already know the solution...TechStream would help...what happened to yours?

not sure about the mirror.

emblem, use adhesive or tape. I used tape on my Trans Am and it worked perfect.
Attached Thumbnails Problems highlighted by the cold-be94865c-556d-49e5-bdd7-0f6b30242587.png  
The following users liked this post:
Harold57 (01-07-18)
Old 01-06-18, 11:32 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I could try lubing the mast, but it seems like that is not where the problem would be. Then again, lubing the mast is way easier than anything I was thinking of!

I had taken the Techstream out to use (for later) and I must of placed somewhere where I could find it easily. I've been looking for it ever since. I actually had extra incentive to find it because texsexlex needed to look at something also. Sad part is that I had it for a couple of years and this was going to be the first time that I was going to install it. Sigh. I guess I need to go and check your Techstream link to find the one that is most recommended now.

Regarding Techstream use, it still causes the error that requires the paperclip solution, right? I need to make an adapter that removes the signals that Retroplay recommended. So I guess that I'll need to order those parts also. (I think that Mandyfig listed out the parts for the connector solution for error clearing in a previous link.)

I need to get that tape that you recommended Bgw.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 01-06-18, 05:23 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

For the mirror, I'm going to go ahead and buy a replacement and swap it out. That is about $150 through ebay (versus $375 minus the mirror for parts and $163 for labor if I have the dealer do the install). I hope to open up my original one (eventually) to see if I can repair it. (Don't hold your breath...)

I intend to try lubing the antenna shaft, though I won't know if the lube job fixes it until we get another deep freeze around here.

Still mulling about whether to replace the tire sensor or replace all of them with something like the Orange Electronics module that has sensors in the tires and a small display that shows both tire temperatures and pressures. (I appreciate the function of the sensors, as I can't tell when my tires are low just by looking at them and probably won't manually check the tire pressures at the right time to prevent ruining a tire.)
Old 01-07-18, 09:19 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

I would trying cleaning the mast & lubing it also. I've noticed that sometimes when my mast doesn't go all the way down, the mast is usually pretty dirty. I usually clean the mast, then I add a small amount of lube to it. I do think the lube helps the retraction of the mast, but also collects dirt when the antenna is up. My mirror also has done the same thing occasionally, I've always moved the actual glass (mirror) with my hand, up/down,lift/right,this will free up the pivot/motor. I would then spray it with some type of lubricant & it should be ok for a while.
Harold57 (01-07-18)
Old 01-07-18, 12:19 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by texsexlex
I would trying cleaning the mast & lubing it also. I've noticed that sometimes when my mast doesn't go all the way down, the mast is usually pretty dirty. I usually clean the mast, then I add a small amount of lube to it. I do think the lube helps the retraction of the mast, but also collects dirt when the antenna is up. My mirror also has done the same thing occasionally, I've always moved the actual glass (mirror) with my hand, up/down,lift/right,this will free up the pivot/motor. I would then spray it with some type of lubricant & it should be ok for a while.
What lube do you usually use? I'd like to use some that will minimize the dirt collection but I suspect that will be a matter of degrees of dirt rather than elimination. I was going to try to clean it with either WD40 or maybe just a damp rag and then use some silicon spray (or garage door opener lubrication) on the mast itself.

How do you get to the mirror movement mechanisms to lubricate them? Also, how do you safely remove the mirror without breaking it? (Seems like I remember Mandyfig or ShawnOK or maybe it was someone else mentioning how easy it is to crack the mirror when removing it.)
Old 01-07-18, 01:46 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Harold, I always silicone lubricant when I don't want dirt attracted. Short coming is you have to reapply often. To clean the mast I just always used a all purpose degreaser on a rag. Gotta be carful, as you know the mast bends easily.
Old 01-07-18, 01:56 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

A degreaser as in dish washing liquid or one used on engines?
Old 01-07-18, 04:12 PM
Coleroad
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
A degreaser as in dish washing liquid or one used on engines?
I use mean green, because I have a few cases that my wife had gotten free. Whatever you have already, 409, simple green, or some other all purpose cleaner. Just a product that will do most of the work so you have less of a chance of bending the antenna by scrubbing.
Harold57 (01-07-18)
Old 01-07-18, 05:14 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

I wound up using WD40, it cleans pretty well. I was surprised at how clean the antenna actually was though. So I cleaned and lubed it and then ran it down and up and down to get the lube down inside the antenna. Now I just need another very cold day to test it out with. Thanks for all the advice.
Old 01-07-18, 05:24 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts

....glad that you got it working better & the methods that Coleroad used to clean the mast, are usually how I do it also. I have used a few drops of oil & sometimes white lithium to lubricate the mast, by putting it on a rag & rubbing the mast down. I never removed the glass in the mirror, but pivoted it all the way up or to the side, then sprayed the mechanism inside with WD40 white lithium
Harold57 (01-07-18)
Old 01-08-18, 09:14 AM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

For the TPMS turning on, when the temps are so low and your air pressure is the borderline low, it will trigger the fault. When you start running and the air heats up inside the tires, the TPMS sign turns off. Means your air pressure is on the borderline low. Need to fill up some air. Happened on my daughter's RX this weekend. I have to fill it up with air.
Old 01-08-18, 09:44 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
For the TPMS turning on, when the temps are so low and your air pressure is the borderline low, it will trigger the fault. When you start running and the air heats up inside the tires, the TPMS sign turns off.
As Mandyfig mentioned, the ambient air temp will effect your tire pressure.

I kind of think most of your problems have to do with Ice Crystals. I think the mirror stuck in place because of ice. When you drove over railroad tracks, the ice crystals broke up. If you set your mirror so they don't auto down when you reverse, this might not be an issue for you.

The antenna may have the same problem, but I am less optimistic that is the issue.

Of course I live in Sunny AZ, and we RARELY have to deal with Ice Crystals, so I may not be the right person to ask. In fact it is suppose to be 74 today
Old 01-08-18, 10:31 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

The tire pressure sensor hasn't been affected by air pressure from what I can tell. I've measured the tire pressure and it is about 33psi, which is far from being marginal. Sometimes I'll be driving for 10 minutes or more and then the light comes on, then later it will go off during the same trip. I'm about 90% sure that this is a TPS battery issue. Unfortunately, the only fix for it is to replace it. That was my first thought and hope was that the drop in temperature created a low pressure situation inside the tires as I have dealt with that in the past, but it wasn't the case this time.

The mirror acted up even during times well above freezing (in the mid 40°Fs), so I suspect that its problem is not related to ice crystals. Now the antenna acted up during hard freezes, so it is suspect for ice crystals.
Old 01-08-18, 12:01 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
The tire pressure sensor hasn't been affected by air pressure from what I can tell. I've measured the tire pressure and it is about 33psi, which is far from being marginal. Sometimes I'll be driving for 10 minutes or more and then the light comes on, then later it will go off during the same trip. I'm about 90% sure that this is a TPS battery issue. Unfortunately, the only fix for it is to replace it. That was my first thought and hope was that the drop in temperature created a low pressure situation inside the tires as I have dealt with that in the past, but it wasn't the case this time.

The mirror acted up even during times well above freezing (in the mid 40°Fs), so I suspect that its problem is not related to ice crystals. Now the antenna acted up during hard freezes, so it is suspect for ice crystals.
Ahhh... Sounds like you got it covered

Quick Reply: Problems highlighted by the cold