IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

OEM Audio System Install/Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-17, 04:19 PM
Lexcuse
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up OEM Audio System Install/Review

For those who don't know, OEM Audio released a system for the 3IS that claims to fix the muddy, bass heavy front speakers and adds a better trunk mounted sub with dedicated amp. Info on that is here: http://oemaudioplus.com/lexus/3is/

Bottom line: This system does all that it claims to do and sounds great! Definitely worth the lengthy install.

Turns out I was the first person to actually install this (they gave me a draft of the install video that wasn't even narrated yet) but I had a cell number for one of the guys (Daniel) who I could call if I ran into any troubles. Their customer service (it's just Daniel) is the best i've ever experienced from any company. The install itself took me two full afternoons over the weekend to do (a good 10 hours or so), and you can't be afraid to tear your car apart down to this:
OEM Audio System Install/Review-img_7687.jpeg

I know basic car stuff (i've installed a two channel dash cam system and the lit Lexus door sills) and I was able to follow the over 30 minute install video (here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Ni...ature=youtu.be) without any sound or narration (the final version of that install video will be narrated and would make the install a bit easier). Don't let that discourage you, but it is not an easy install to do without the right tools and patience (definitely get a panel removal set). I wish there was a way to replace the door speakers, but you hook up these acoustic correction filters to the existing speakers which does make a difference in clarity. This system did not affect bluetooth calls at all. Here's a pic of all the components you get:
OEM Audio System Install/Review-img_7632.jpeg

I should also note that I bought a whole bunch of Dynamat Xtreme sound deadening material to prevent vibrations and outside noise. I applied this on the front driver and passenger floor covering the wheel well area. Here's what that area looks like before I applied the Dynamat:
OEM Audio System Install/Review-img_7649.jpeg
I also did the front doors and the entire trunk. If there is one area that you MUST apply Dynamat too, it's the trunk area right where the sub is mounted. IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS, YOUR TRUNK WILL VIBRATE AND THUMP FROM THE SUB'S BASS!!!

Here's what the sub looks like after it's mounted to the top of the trunk:
OEM Audio System Install/Review-img_7682.jpeg
And this is the area you MUST put Dynamat on:
OEM Audio System Install/Review-img_7674.jpeg

They did have to send me a second sub because the first one broke from it's mounting brackets and fell into the trunk. During the install, one of the mounting brackets didn't line up with the predrilled holes, so one of the brackets was only connected with one screw. I called Daniel and he said I could try to install it anyways and that they will send out a new bracket right away. Well, the next day I opened my trunk and saw this:
OEM Audio System Install/Review-img_7657-1.jpeg

Of course I called Daniel and he immediately sent out a new sub (shipped in one day. Amazing customer service!) and a return label for the one that fell into the trunk. He assured me that they tested this system for two years and never had that happen. I installed the new sub and have had no issues with it, so don't let this incident discourage you from buying this (hopefully it's an isolated incident). On a side note: I installed the first sub without Dynamat in the trunk, and the vibration was very extreme. I couldn't even turn the bass up because it would vibrate and thump. After the sub fell into the trunk, before I installed the replacement sub, I added a whole bunch of Dynamat right on that sheet of metal in the trunk above where the sub is mounted. After I did that, there is no vibration or thumps from the trunk and it sounds even better!

There is a dedicated kn0b for the sub that looks like it's a factory install and fits in the front:
OEM Audio System Install/Review-img_7658.jpeg

Unfortunately they put an extremely bright blue light that is very annoying at night on it:
OEM Audio System Install/Review-img_7651-1.jpeg

I told Daniel about this and he said they will try to come up with a version that isn't that distracting. Meanwhile i put a black sticker over the light.

Overall: I hope this review was useful. I don't have measurements of the sound levels and graphs of the decibels or whatever audiophiles do, but I do appreciate good quality sound and believe that you get what you pay for. This system fixes the glaring problems with the sound system (like muddy, bass heavy front speakers) and replaces it with a nice bass feel from the trunk mounted sub. I really really like how the sub is mounted to the roof of the trunk, which leaves you with pretty much all of your original cargo space. Definitely worth purchasing if you feel comfortable with the long install and want a sound system upgrade with a factory/OEM feel!
Old 12-17-17, 11:24 PM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice work, although the install seems more complicated than I thought.
Now I wish someone would do the same on ML system and report the results.
Old 12-17-17, 11:40 PM
a1rh3adsz
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^ Yea same, I want to compare my stock ML with ML+oem audio
OP, Are you able to find a car with ML and see if there is a major difference with your stock audio+oem audio system?
Old 12-17-17, 11:56 PM
IMSCHUR
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Expected to hear something about the sound quality improvement over stock. Sorry to hear the sub fell off into the trunk, which sorta sucks for that investment.

it's about the sound.
Old 12-18-17, 06:18 AM
Lexcuse
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by a1rh3adsz
^ Yea same, I want to compare my stock ML with ML+oem audio
OP, Are you able to find a car with ML and see if there is a major difference with your stock audio+oem audio system?
That’s a good question. Next time I go to the dealership I might try that. I feel like with more speakers you’ll get a better “surround sound” feel. The install video from OEM was done on a ML system. Install is the same although adding Dynamat really helps too
Old 12-18-17, 06:27 AM
Lexcuse
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by schur
Expected to hear something about the sound quality improvement over stock. Sorry to hear the sub fell off into the trunk, which sorta sucks for that investment.

it's about the sound.
Yea that did suck, but the replacement is great and not going anywhere lol. It is better than the stock system for sure. The stock felt like the sound was only coming from the three speakers on the front dash and was lacking that “punch.” With the OEM system I can hear more clarity in the front door speakers and they don’t sound as muddy as before. I listen to all kinds of music (alternative, Pop, electric, rock, country, violins...) and it does sound better. I bet on the Mark L system it would be amazing!
Old 12-18-17, 08:46 PM
DJSpeed
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

wonder how this would sound along with an amp and subwoofer setup in the back
Old 12-18-17, 11:16 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds more complicated to install for sure. Ease was supposed to be justification for the price. Hopefully it was worth it for you! If only they sold the filters alone....
Old 12-19-17, 05:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

How is it mounted under the deck? How many mounting points are there on the enclosure itself and what type of fasters were used and where did it rip?

I'm sort of disappointed one of the mounting points detached and the other would not support the load. I am familiar with JL Audio stealth boxes and they require drilling but are bolted solidly to the car and usually if not all require you to drill a hole.

Hopefully they will revise that led soon. IMO, a dimmer white LED would be a nice welcome change.

Anyone looking for the high pass filters for their fronts, just google "bass blockers" and you'll find them. They are cheap. Even cheaper if you just buy raw capacitors and splice the wiring in the door. The ones supplied in this kit are nice and are matched and spec'ed perfectly I would imagine with the subwoofer and it's amp.
Old 12-31-17, 03:29 PM
clov3r
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone use this on the ML speakers? I added a sub to my system to handle the low end stuff and it sounds better, but I'm still not happy with the ways the mids and highs sound (way too sharp)
Old 01-06-18, 04:40 PM
DJSpeed
Rookie

how did u remove 2 smaller panels on the side of them main seats
Old 01-06-18, 09:52 PM
DJSpeed
Rookie

Originally Posted by DJSpeed
how did u remove 2 smaller panels on the side of them main seats
nvm. Figured it out shortly after posting. Lol
Old 01-15-18, 04:45 PM
Lexcuse
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 387
How is it mounted under the deck? How many mounting points are there on the enclosure itself and what type of fasters were used and where did it rip?

I'm sort of disappointed one of the mounting points detached and the other would not support the load. I am familiar with JL Audio stealth boxes and they require drilling but are bolted solidly to the car and usually if not all require you to drill a hole.

Hopefully they will revise that led soon. IMO, a dimmer white LED would be a nice welcome change.

Anyone looking for the high pass filters for their fronts, just google "bass blockers" and you'll find them. They are cheap. Even cheaper if you just buy raw capacitors and splice the wiring in the door. The ones supplied in this kit are nice and are matched and spec'ed perfectly I would imagine with the subwoofer and it's amp.
Kinda hard to describe the mounting but ill try. There are a total of four brackets. It's got two brackets on the backside that are L shaped and form a lip that slides into two slots that the liner normally occupies, and there are two on the side that actually screw into existing holes that the liner covers up with those little plastic screw cap things. This new one is very solid. There must have been something loose on the first one as i was having a hard time lining up the side brackets. So far I have no problems with tis new one and everything lined up perfectly. Ii'm pretty happy with the system!
Old 01-15-18, 04:47 PM
Lexcuse
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DJSpeed
nvm. Figured it out shortly after posting. Lol
Great! Did you install this system too? I'm pretty sure a couple other members here on the forms were going to do this...
Old 03-03-18, 12:38 PM
camperkev
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone else using this system in their IS??? i'm new here but very interested in the upgrade.

Quick Reply: OEM Audio System Install/Review