ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2019 es350

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-17, 06:24 PM
lextooth
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 es350

Does anybody have any updates on the new 2019 Lexus ES350?
There of been a few photos recently but no other information. Is it possible it will be introduced at the Detroit auto show in January or do we wait like they’ve done in the past for it to be introduced at the Shanghai auto show in April.
Old 12-14-17, 06:38 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,233 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by lextooth
Does anybody have any updates on the new 2019 Lexus ES350?
There of been a few photos recently but no other information. Is it possible it will be introduced at the Detroit auto show in January or do we wait like they’ve done in the past for it to be introduced at the Shanghai auto show in April.
I expect to see it in New York at the auto show in April... This is where I first saw the new 2013 generation 6 ES before it was available for sale.
Old 02-07-18, 10:00 AM
boe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3 things I would like -
1. MUCH faster acceleration on the hybrid
2. Offer a touch screen option - don't worry you can have both on the same system - don't want touch screen - no need to cry you don't have to use it but for those of us who want it - we get to use it and we don't have to cry they included a touchpad or joystick or **** that we don't have to use.
3. Virtual cockpit - GPS BEHIND the steering wheel as an option.
Old 02-07-18, 10:15 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

I just went to the Philadelphia Auto show last week and no 2019... I asked the Lexus rep and he said maybe at the Chicago show starting this Saturday February 10th.
If not in Chicago I'm hoping NYC in April...
Old 02-07-18, 02:10 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by boe
2. Offer a touch screen option - don't worry you can have both on the same system - don't want touch screen - no need to cry you don't have to use it but for those of us who want it - we get to use it and we don't have to cry they included a touchpad or joystick or **** that we don't have to use.
Unfortunately, it isn't as simple as that.

If the system was designed to be used either with a touch screen or with a mouse, it would have to be designed in such a way that it would take away the main advantages of the current system. By having the current system controlled with the mouse, it allows for the screen to be placed much further forward away from the driver. That further forward placement of the screen has two significant advantages. One is that it allows the driver to take a quick glance at the screen by simply moving his/her eyes, instead of having to turn his/her head. That means safer driving with less time with the driver's eyes away from the road. Also, the further forward screen placement allows the screen to be recessed into an alcove that protects it from washing out with glare from the sun. Thus, if the system was changed to allow for either touch control or mouse control, the screen would have to be placed closer to the driver to allow for easy reach to the screen, and both of the advantages of the current screen placement would be lost.

I know that the current mouse controlled system has generated polar opposite opinions. People, including reviewers, seem either to love it or to hate it. In any case, Lexus seems to be committed to the mouse/touch pad approach. Recent new models, including the new LS, all have either a mouse or touch pad , and all of the sedans have screens placed in alcoves far forward from the driver. So, the bottom line is that, those who place high priority on a touch screen should be looking elsewhere and not to Lexus for their future car purchases.
The following users liked this post:
jollick (02-08-18)
Old 02-08-18, 02:48 PM
CarToys
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by boe
3 things I would like -
I think there is hope since the 2019 Avalon, which shares a lot in common with the ES, will feature a large pinch-to-zoom touchscreen.

Toyota has been quite behind the times when it comes to infotainment systems. Looks like they’re trying to catch up.

Old 02-08-18, 03:00 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I doubt they'll offer a touch screen. They're leaving the touch screens at Toyota and remote touch with Lexus.
Old 02-08-18, 03:43 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 613 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by CarToys

I think there is hope since the 2019 Avalon, which shares a lot in common with the ES, will feature a large pinch-to-zoom touchscreen.

Toyota has been quite behind the times when it comes to infotainment systems. Looks like they’re trying to catch up.
Going backwards to a touchscreen? I don't think so.
KYLexusMkr (02-08-18)
Old 02-08-18, 10:17 PM
boe
Driver

Originally Posted by Mike728
Going backwards to a touchscreen? I don't think so.
Is that like going backwards to ***** on the radios - something most manufacturers got so much pressure to do that they've done it? Yeah - something like that. Again NOT trying to take away your precious touch pad - just an option to also have an input using the screen. Why does that strike fear into so many people? Windows can be controlled with a touch screen - it isn't a requirement - you can still use a mouse. You could do a lot of things with the powershell commands that can also be done in the gui - does that frighten you as well? Should MS stop programming for touch screens because you don't like it? What if they said f' it and just stopped with the gui and made you type inane powershell commands to accomplish many basic tasks - at least you wouldn't have to touch the screen. Why are options so bad? As for reaching the screen - I have yet to find a screen I can't reach but I'm an adult male and I can see that for some petite ladies that could be an issue but they certainly could use that touch pad (provided they can reach it).

Last edited by boe; 02-08-18 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-09-18, 07:08 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by boe
Is that like going backwards to ***** on the radios - something most manufacturers got so much pressure to do that they've done it? Yeah - something like that. Again NOT trying to take away your precious touch pad - just an option to also have an input using the screen. Why does that strike fear into so many people? Windows can be controlled with a touch screen - it isn't a requirement - you can still use a mouse. You could do a lot of things with the powershell commands that can also be done in the gui - does that frighten you as well? Should MS stop programming for touch screens because you don't like it? What if they said f' it and just stopped with the gui and made you type inane powershell commands to accomplish many basic tasks - at least you wouldn't have to touch the screen. Why are options so bad? As for reaching the screen - I have yet to find a screen I can't reach but I'm an adult male and I can see that for some petite ladies that could be an issue but they certainly could use that touch pad (provided they can reach it).
I'm 6'4", so not petite. When I drive, there is no way I could easily use my fingers to control the navigation screen in my ES. I have the seat all the way back, so pretty far away. Like Lesz mentioned, its placement is perfect for easy viewing and making glare nonexistent. It's extremely comfortable and safe to use the mouse. People that complain about it, must be doing something wrong.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike728:
jollick (02-09-18), signdetres (02-09-18)
Old 02-09-18, 07:33 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I am of average height and there is no way I can reach the screen on my GS. It would have to move much, much closer to be reachable.

The touchscreen in my Highlander is okay, but it's more of a stretch than it should be to be easy/convenient.
Old 02-09-18, 07:42 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Before the Mods get mad, we should probably take the touchscreen vs mouse discussion to this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...t-balance.html
JDR76 (02-09-18)
Old 03-17-18, 04:22 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Any updates heard when the 2019 ES will make an auto show? Seems Lexus always makes their reveals of new cars at one of the shows.

All navigation screen stuff aside, I'm optimistic the new ES will get CarPlay. The new ES may be better balance than the 2018 LS that's more like a very large exterior GS with much nicer fit and finish, hopefully Lexus doesn't shortcut to make ES 'sporty/engaging' and goes for sheer quality and isolation. I'll also say I hope that they don't do away with the spare tire space in the new ES and force run flat tires as they did in the 2019 LS. Air suspension in it can't even make up for run-flat tires in current generation. From read of the Avalon, I'm optimistic.

Last edited by kellens; 03-17-18 at 05:03 AM.
Old 03-17-18, 06:05 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kellens
Any updates heard when the 2019 ES will make an auto show? Seems Lexus always makes their reveals of new cars at one of the shows.

All navigation screen stuff aside, I'm optimistic the new ES will get CarPlay. The new ES may be better balance than the 2018 LS that's more like a very large exterior GS with much nicer fit and finish, hopefully Lexus doesn't shortcut to make ES 'sporty/engaging' and goes for sheer quality and isolation. I'll also say I hope that they don't do away with the spare tire space in the new ES and force run flat tires as they did in the 2019 LS. Air suspension in it can't even make up for run-flat tires in current generation. From read of the Avalon, I'm optimistic.
Back in 2013 the new generation 6 Lexus ES was displayed at the NY auto show in April. This year it starts on March 30th. and runs to April 7th. I expect to see the 2019 there.
It was not at Detroit, Shanghai, Chicago, or Geneva which just ended in Switzerland. I'm going to NYC and I'll be taking many photos for publication on the forum.

I also hope that they don't change to run flats. I just got rid of mine on my Corvette and changed to regular tires with a fixaflat kit in the trunk as there is no spare... I'll let everybody know in the next two weeks.
Old 03-17-18, 07:42 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kellens

All navigation screen stuff aside, I'm optimistic the new ES will get CarPlay - check out this link about Lexus adding CarPlay but no Android...
https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/15/1...s-detroit-2018
jollick (03-17-18)

Quick Reply: 2019 es350