Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda HR-V

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-17, 10:07 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Honda HR-V

Time for new run about for wife. She seems to like EX-L, Navi fully loaded top of the line model. Anyone has real life experience with this vehicle?
TIA
Old 12-13-17, 10:47 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Its a decent overall package, but won't dazzle. Ride is nimble, cargo room so-so, poor rear visibility, low on luxury, very reliable, and typical Honda stinginess. The CRV would be a better choice in my opinion, but both are recommended.
Old 12-13-17, 10:55 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Its a decent overall package, but won't dazzle. Ride is nimble, cargo room so-so, poor rear visibility, low on luxury, very reliable, and typical Honda stinginess. The CRV would be a better choice in my opinion, but both are recommended.
Thanks,sShe barely drives like 10 miles a day or so and occasional drive out to our cabin. If she let me, looks like there are few more choices but she don't want larger ones.
Old 12-14-17, 12:54 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd try and sell her on a CR-V. Lots more room, the car itself isn't that much bigger on the outside. It also has 40 or 50 more horsepower and gets better gas mileage. Plus the price is only about $1000 more if you compare a loaded HR-V and a mid spec CR-V EX. Of course I'm the type who looks more at the overall package and value for money than does it have every single option and electronic doo dad on it.

I'd make sure you drive both, especially on the interstate. Wouldn't suprise me one bit if the CR-V is quieter, rides nicer, actually has enough power to pull up a grade and pass a truck going up a hill when its full of people/cargo(the HR-V is going to struggle with 140hp) and is just overall a lot more refined on the highway. The two cars use different platforms, I think the HR-V is based off the older Fit chassis, while the CR-V is Honda's newest chassis that also underpins the new Civic and new Accord.

Last edited by Aron9000; 12-14-17 at 12:59 AM.
Old 12-14-17, 06:37 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I'd try and sell her on a CR-V. Lots more room, the car itself isn't that much bigger on the outside. It also has 40 or 50 more horsepower and gets better gas mileage. Plus the price is only about $1000 more if you compare a loaded HR-V and a mid spec CR-V EX. Of course I'm the type who looks more at the overall package and value for money than does it have every single option and electronic doo dad on it.

I'd make sure you drive both, especially on the interstate. Wouldn't suprise me one bit if the CR-V is quieter, rides nicer, actually has enough power to pull up a grade and pass a truck going up a hill when its full of people/cargo(the HR-V is going to struggle with 140hp) and is just overall a lot more refined on the highway. The two cars use different platforms, I think the HR-V is based off the older Fit chassis, while the CR-V is Honda's newest chassis that also underpins the new Civic and new Accord.
I agree with you. She used to drive Van and CR-V once too. But her reason wanting to have a small car is our age. Getting old towards 80. Getting old is no fun.
Old 12-14-17, 06:43 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 580 Likes on 399 Posts

It's the slowest car I've ever driven and my wife used to drive a Yaris. If she has any high speed merges on her normal drive, I'd strongly consider something else. I had one as a loaner when my Ody was getting a mirror fixed and the dealer is located just off a major highway (55 MPH, dealer driveway merges directly to highway w/ no lane). I gunned that little thing and I might as well have been standing still.
Old 12-14-17, 07:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Has she looked at anything else in this class before picking the HR-V? Ford and Hyundai will both shortly have upcoming competition in this area with their new Ecosport and Kona models. In addition, the Mazda CX-3 has been out for awhile. The Nissan Juke is still available but is weirdly-styled and will shortly be replaced. I do not recommend the Toyota C-HR for several reasons. The biggest argument for the HR-V, of course, is reliability.

Since you are in Alberta, and need a vehicle for a harsh climate, Subaru's Impreza and Crosstrek are also excellent buys at an affordable price.
Old 12-14-17, 09:39 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
I agree with you. She used to drive Van and CR-V once too. But her reason wanting to have a small car is our age. Getting old towards 80. Getting old is no fun.
neighbors (in 80s) traded their van for a kia soul. they're ecstatic.
relatives (late 70s) in toronto traded in a truck for a kia soul. they're ecstatic.

when i looked at the hr-v i was underwhelmed. just seemed incredibly cheap, cramped, and boring. i think there's better options.
Old 12-14-17, 10:48 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
neighbors (in 80s) traded their van for a kia soul. they're ecstatic.
relatives (late 70s) in toronto traded in a truck for a kia soul. they're ecstatic.

when i looked at the hr-v i was underwhelmed. just seemed incredibly cheap, cramped, and boring. i think there's better options.
sister has a Kia Soul and loves it.

HR-V has 141hp, std hp on the Soul is 130 but 201hp is available if she drives in the mountains in AB.
Old 12-14-17, 01:55 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I drove one fairly extensively with my prior job. While I wanted to love it, it was pretty disappointing, especially given how well the new CR-V is! Lots of better choices out there.

The CX-3 is TINY, but a bit more comfortable. The Buick Encore would be quieter and cushier, and can be had with steep discounts. The Nissan Rogue Sport/Qashqai is a bit more substantial and comfortable all-around than the HR-V, but maybe lacking in ultimate interior flexibility of that magic seat 2nd row.

The new Subaru Crosstrek would be my top choice, although it's a little sluggish (but none of these are really going to give much punch), but can be had with EyeSight, a real game changer in terms of driving safety aids in my opinion.
Old 12-14-17, 10:12 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Getting back to the other thread, looks like old people don't want big sedans anymore either.
Old 12-14-17, 10:12 PM
sorptd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If rear seat room is not a priority I would highly recommend putting Buick Encore in your shortlist. In terms of overall refinement, ride quality, NVH etc it's much better that most vehicles in that class
Old 12-14-17, 10:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by sorptd
If rear seat room is not a priority I would highly recommend putting Buick Encore in your shortlist. In terms of overall refinement, ride quality, NVH etc it's much better that most vehicles in that class

Agreed, but despite its relative plushness, it's clearly underpowered with the small Mickey-Mouse 1.4L turbo.
Old 12-14-17, 10:54 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Well, wife worked in Germany for few years B4 we settle down in Canada. I tried myself the HR-V, very slow mover, enough HP but lack of torque is the reason I guess.. No power seat, no power gate, no heated steering wheel. We tried it , looked at it close, she says, thing I'd like to have is lacking, something else? For little more $$, we dropped by MB dealer, there Red B250, 4 motion fully loaded model was on the lot. Everything power, NAVI, lots of room, more than enough power from 2 L turbo with 7 speed dual clutch auto. Year end special deal on now. Going back tomorrow to finish the paper work. I never liked car purchasing process. Drove company car all those years when I was working. She seems to like it better than HR-V. Our family cars should be able to carry our dog, 70 lbs. Mutt, a no trouble always happy dog. B250 has enough room.Maybe she is biased towards German cars. Son Joked HR-V max torque is less than when B250 is idling.

I tried to transfer fund directly into dealer's bank account but they said No. Tried credit card but max they are allowed to charge is 5 grand. I had to make a bank draft to pay them. Looks like there is some kind of rule or policy when customer made cash deal.
Old 12-17-17, 06:19 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Htony
For little more $$, we dropped by MB dealer, there Red B250, 4 motion fully loaded model was on the lot. Everything power, NAVI, lots of room, more than enough power from 2 L turbo with 7 speed dual clutch auto.
congrats....but what the heck is a B250?

nevermind....looked it up....never heard of it before!

Last edited by bagwell; 12-17-17 at 06:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Honda HR-V