NX - 1st Gen (2015-2021)

Windshield "Sparkles"

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-17, 11:57 AM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Windshield "Sparkles"

With the lower sun angle of fall, now approaching winter, I began to notice more and more what looked to be pitch or some other substance on my windshield that would cause numerous "sparkles" while viewing from inside my NX looking toward the sun.

About six weeks ago I took the car to my dealer, and they used a "special cleaner" to clean off all the "pitch." As I drove away the windshield looked fine to me, but it was an overcast day. Since then we've been having an abnormally long stretch of sunny, cloudless days and I could plainly see those darned "sparkles" again as I looked into the sun.

Bottom line: My service consultant had me meet with the service manager yesterday, a VERY sunny day here in the PNW, and after about 10 minutes of messing with my windshield, he asked, "When can you bring your NX back so we can replace your defective windshield?"

I don't know if others on this forum have had a similar problem/situation and have just blown it off as being caused by something on the surface of your windshield, but if you have, you might want to reconsider the actual condition of your windshield.

The service manager said this was the "first of a kind" for him, but that he'd previously seen deformities in RX windshields. I imagine these windshields are pretty expensive, but the dealer/manufacturer is covering 100% of the cost.... and I'm glad I had them take a second look at it.

And kudos to Lexus of Portland; two hours after I called I was seeing the service manager and 30 minutes later they were ordering a new windshield for my 2017 F-Sport.
Old 12-12-17, 01:03 PM
Ogrechan
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, are they sure it is a defect? I have been having an issue with my 2013 CT that sounds exactly the same. I had someone try to remove it and it seems it did lighten up some, but I can still see them. I noticed the same in my 2018 NX, though. I find it strange that it goes across that many model years, though. And on a car I just drove off the lot.

I guess I need to go see my dealer.
Old 12-12-17, 01:10 PM
miop4000
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

Had the sparkles on my rear windscreen. Only noticed them on partly cloudy days or when the sun”s rays refracted at a certain angle.

Drove me nuts for a while. Thought there was debris on the exterior surface snd scrubbed vigorously. Tried a standard cloth cleaning the inside of the window, no chsnge.

About fo march off to the dealer until I tried cleaning the inside of the window with a dry microfibre cloth. Noticed thst the sparkles had shifted.

They ended up being some kind of fine fibre particle. I assume the electrostatic effect of the microfibre cloth was able to lift them, othetwise very stubbirn to remove.

Thinking back, The car had a professional interior detail prior to me noticing the sparkles. Wonder if vigorous vacuum cleaning kicked up some fine fibres?

Might want to check this out as I found a good Lexus dealer will change anything you request to keep the customer hapoy.
Old 12-12-17, 01:43 PM
no1SomeGuy
Advanced

Received 91 Likes on 69 Posts

I was going to say pitting from rocks/salt getting kicked up on the road. Pretty normal in snowy climates that the windscreen gets pretty ugly after a lot of highway miles.

But hey, if they're replacing it for free you're damn lucky.
Old 12-12-17, 03:31 PM
Ogrechan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by miop4000
Had the sparkles on my rear windscreen. Only noticed them on partly cloudy days or when the sun”s rays refracted at a certain angle.

Drove me nuts for a while. Thought there was debris on the exterior surface snd scrubbed vigorously. Tried a standard cloth cleaning the inside of the window, no chsnge.

About fo march off to the dealer until I tried cleaning the inside of the window with a dry microfibre cloth. Noticed thst the sparkles had shifted.

They ended up being some kind of fine fibre particle. I assume the electrostatic effect of the microfibre cloth was able to lift them, othetwise very stubbirn to remove.

Thinking back, The car had a professional interior detail prior to me noticing the sparkles. Wonder if vigorous vacuum cleaning kicked up some fine fibres?

Might want to check this out as I found a good Lexus dealer will change anything you request to keep the customer hapoy.
Did you use anything specific with the cloth or just an ordinary cleaner? Were they completely removed?

Last edited by Ogrechan; 12-12-17 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-12-17, 04:01 PM
skyshadow
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I have noticed the same sparkles. I'm pretty sure it is small pits from sand and rocks etching the window
Old 12-13-17, 10:04 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skyshadow
I have noticed the same sparkles. I'm pretty sure it is small pits from sand and rocks etching the window
That's what I thought too, at first, but a sand blasted windshield has some roughness to it, and my windshield is as smooth as, well, glass!.

I looked at it again today in the bright, but low sun, and it is just impossible to see what is causing it. The service manager must have thought the same and was willing to call it a "defect" and put in new glass.
Old 12-13-17, 11:35 PM
Ogrechan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DampDuffer
That's what I thought too, at first, but a sand blasted windshield has some roughness to it, and my windshield is as smooth as, well, glass!.

I looked at it again today in the bright, but low sun, and it is just impossible to see what is causing it. The service manager must have thought the same and was willing to call it a "defect" and put in new glass.
Yeah, I originally thought it could be chips, but damn, that would be thousands upon thousands of hits. You would also expect your paint to look similar, really. My 2018 I drove off the lot about a month ago looks similar. No way it is pitting in that time. You would literally have had to go through a sandstorm.

But yeah, it is super smooth and no pitting. Going to see the dealer on Saturday to speak with them.
Old 12-14-17, 02:14 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by miop4000

I'm betting the "sparkles" you saw on your rear window glass was caused by the detail guy using a cheap or worn out microfiber towel to clean your glass. Had the same thing happen on my truck while cleaning the windshield, the microfiber towel left "lint" I guess you'd call it on the glass. I've used microfiber towels for years on glass with great results, but I think I might have bought some bad towels this last time around. From now on I've switched back to newspaper to clean the glass, makes a mess on your hands but works great.

As to the OP, I'm thinking its not microfiber towel particles on the inside of your windshield. I assume they tried cleaning the glass various ways.
Old 12-14-17, 12:23 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Aron9000
As to the OP, I'm thinking its not microfiber towel particles on the inside of your windshield. I assume they tried cleaning the glass various ways.
Oh yeah. Not sure what all they tried, bur the windshield was nice and shiney and clean.....and still full of sparkles.

Was a passenger in my wife's Q3 this morning and noticed a similar phenomena on the windshield, but not as widespread.....a wipe with my finger on the inside of the glass cured the problem.
Old 12-14-17, 12:45 PM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Ogrechan
Yeah, I originally thought it could be chips, but damn, that would be thousands upon thousands of hits. You would also expect your paint to look similar, really. My 2018 I drove off the lot about a month ago looks similar. No way it is pitting in that time. You would literally have had to go through a sandstorm.

But yeah, it is super smooth and no pitting. Going to see the dealer on Saturday to speak with them.
Yes, that was my first thought too, as I was thinking the hood/front paint was protected while on the transporter from the docks, while the windshield was not protected. But it took me about 37 seconds to realize it would be pretty unusual to have sand on the roads in the PNW, and the car was only transported 7 miles at the delivery end.

Probably the sooner-the-better to see your dealer. I mentioed the problem to my service representative a full 3 month after taking delivery, and it was another 5 months before I asked to have it inspected by the service manager, but the dealer did not quibble at all about a replacement, even though I had not yet asked for one.
Old 12-28-17, 11:26 AM
DampDuffer
Intermediate

Well, my windshield was replaced a couple of days before Christmas, but as we haven't seen the sun since then, it's been nearly impossible to check for "sparkles" in the new one.

This was done at no cost to me, and in fact the Lexus dealer in Oregon picked-up my car in Washington to have the work done and then returned it the next day.

While my F-Sport was away I was given a fully loaded NX Hybrid to drive....which I did a lot of just to give it a thorough test drive. At the end of my evaluation, I'm glad I went with the F-Sport, but if there were an F-Sport design Hybrid, I would be tempted to buy the Hybrid. Besides the front end design, my only other negative was the "squishy" response to my foot on the accelerator in Eco or Normal mode, but I absolutely loved the Hybrid/Gas Motor response in Sport Mode....what a kick it gave and it accelerated to the red line throughout the gears to as far as I could take it....90 mph.

I can see why both models are popular...both can be fun to drive!
Old 04-22-18, 03:32 PM
Ogrechan
Driver School Candidate

I just thought I would follow up on this thread. I took my NX in and the dealership saw the sparkles and replaced my window on warranty. They did say it was a defect and the main office (or whatever) agreed. If you take yours in, be sure to explain that it is best seen when pointed into the sun. They need to take a photo to send in for proof.
Old 01-02-22, 08:04 AM
Lexygirl52
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sparkles in Windshield

I see that others have noticed 'sparkles' (I call it glitter) in their windshields, particularly noticeable when sun is going down. I bought a 2018 RX 350, it had this condition, so I replaced the windshield at my expense, and to my disappointment, the brand new windshield has the exact same issue. It is not on the outside or inside of the glass, it is within the glass. Has anyone found a clue to this? Thank you.
Old 01-02-22, 06:49 PM
CLightning
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexygirl52
I see that others have noticed 'sparkles' (I call it glitter) in their windshields, particularly noticeable when sun is going down. I bought a 2018 RX 350, it had this condition, so I replaced the windshield at my expense, and to my disappointment, the brand new windshield has the exact same issue. It is not on the outside or inside of the glass, it is within the glass. Has anyone found a clue to this? Thank you.
A simple Google search reveals that this is an probable issue all across the board of numerous makes and models from GM's to Ferraris. It's a manufacturing defect that is embedded within the laminate or the glass itself.

Quick Reply: Windshield "Sparkles"