IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Gas pump keeps stopping

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-17, 10:37 AM
3isIexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gas pump keeps stopping

I just got my Lexus is200t 2017 and I'm having problems with refueling. I went for my first refuel at a Costco gas station and it keeps stopping. It pumped the first 5 gallons and then it kept stopping. I had to hold it for the next 9 gallons which is not as fast as just letting it lock. This is the first gas pump in my new car and I'm surprised how such an expensive car can have such a problem. Anyone else experienced this and possibly know a fix? Could be just be Costco gas station problem? Even so, this shouldn't happen.
Old 12-12-17, 10:50 AM
CriMe
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Some of the ambulances at work do this, and it takes forever to fill up the tank. This is less than ideal, especially now that it is freezing over here. I have noticed that the problem is worse at certain stations. Go to a different station for your next fill-up and see if it does it. My brother had this problem on his Explorer, and it was something with the EVAP system - either the EVAP vent valve or the EVAP canister - I can't remember. Since you just bought your car, I'm inclined to believe the issue was the pump rather than your car.
Old 12-12-17, 10:53 AM
3isIexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CriMe
Some of the ambulances at work do this, and it takes forever to fill up the tank. This is less than ideal, especially now that it is freezing over here. I have noticed that the problem is worse at certain stations. Go to a different station for your next fill-up and see if it does it. My brother had this problem on his Explorer, and it was something with the EVAP system - either the EVAP vent valve or the EVAP canister - I can't remember. Since you just bought your car, I'm inclined to believe the issue was the pump rather than your car.
Thanks, I'll definitely try it out at another gas station. Maybe Chevron for my next refuel. I really hope it's the pump and not anything with the car since I just purchased it. I'll reply back to this thread and let you guys know.
Old 12-12-17, 11:55 AM
xfumbler
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I too have a 2017 IS 200t and I have experienced the same thing. I haven't found a consistent pattern to it yet, some places I can't get to work properly at all (it'll do about half a tank before it clicks off) others some pumps work sometimes. It's frustrating. I recently just help the pump the entire time, not using the automatic lock thingy and I got it to go through to the end without stopping.
The following users liked this post:
3isIexus (12-13-17)
Old 12-13-17, 07:26 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 3isIexus
I just got my Lexus is200t 2017 and I'm having problems with refueling. I went for my first refuel at a Costco gas station and it keeps stopping. It pumped the first 5 gallons and then it kept stopping. I had to hold it for the next 9 gallons which is not as fast as just letting it lock. This is the first gas pump in my new car and I'm surprised how such an expensive car can have such a problem. Anyone else experienced this and possibly know a fix? Could be just be Costco gas station problem? Even so, this shouldn't happen.
I will start by saying a close friend of mine who used to be a Mercedes Benz technician advised me to use only Shell and Chevron fuel and avoid Arco, Costco, USA Gas, World, etc. He said when they pulled engines apart, it was obvious when the owner used cheap fuel versus Chevron/Shell (I think my friend is ok with 76 too, but there aren't many stations around here). In my opinion, the issue you had is with the pump and not the car. I have a 2016 IS350 and have never had this issue. I don't think the fuel inlet is any different for the 2017 model. Those stupid rubber nozzle condoms all look the same, but they are probably in varying states of service life. I remember my old GS300 ejected the filler nozzle at a Costco years ago.

TL/DR: It's not the car.
3isIexus (12-13-17)
Old 12-13-17, 11:35 PM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the same issue with both my 2014 IS350 and 2017 RX350 at my local Costco. I asked one of the attendants why this happens. He mentioned that on some vehicles the hose does not properly seal. The work around is to turn the the pump handle side ways and use the slowest auto setting on the handle. Sure enough this works when pumping gas at a Costco. Though I never have to use this method anywhere else. The other four cars pumping gas next to me also had the same issue. (Mercedes CLA , 2010 BMW M5 , 2017 Camaro , Kia Seol)
halfpint30 (10-30-21)
Old 12-20-17, 04:54 PM
matttev
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same issue here.
2017 IS200T F Sport

I have had trouble at Chevron and Shell on multiple different pumps at each station
Old 12-20-17, 04:57 PM
3isIexus
Driver School Candidate

OP here. I went to get gas again today and it seems to be a localized pump issue. I went to Costco again, different station, and turned the pump sideways and it worked. It locked and went at full speed. I guess the motto here is if you visit the same gas station, find the pumps that aren't broken.
link13 (10-22-18)
Old 12-20-17, 07:43 PM
Miintt
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a 2016 200T and just started having this same problem after 18k miles
Old 12-21-17, 01:16 AM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It could also be the winter blend of fuel the pumps are Using or The cold weather. I don't remember having this issue in the summer months.i remember reading an article on fuel pumps running slow in cold weather a while back.
Old 04-14-20, 10:57 AM
Andeeo11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2019 is-300 gas pump keeps stopping (gas tank was replaced-but issue is still there))

WE NEED THE ATTENTION OF THE CEO OR A TOP LEVEL EXECUTIVE AT LEXUS!!

It's my FIRST Lexus experience and it has been a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!!
  • 2019 NOVEMBER WE PURCHASED TWO 2019 LEXUS.
  • Nov. 9th 2019 we PURCHASED my 2019 IS-300. And on Nov 23rd 2019 we ALSO PURCHASED an LC 500 for my husband
  • The IS-300 has had constant issues with gassing up - Gas pump stops pumping gas after a few dollars of fuel is pumped in. Gives a false indication the tank is full. I struggle to fill up the tank because I have to continuously restart and re-positioning the gas pump to get it to fill up the tank.
  • I have taken it in to the Dealer, where we bought it in the Palm Springs area, 3 TIMES for the same problem.
  • The ENTIRE GAS TANK WAS REPLACED during the 2nd service request.
  • Service man (Johnny) told me a flap sensor inside the tank was sticking giving a false indication the tank is full. He said the flap was not replaced because it's located inside the tank and this is why they had to replace the ENTIRE GAS TANK.
  • NOW the NEW TANK is ALSO doing the same thing - giving a false indication the tank is full and it auto stops the gas pump constantly.
  • Is it possible the FLAP inside the specific gas tank installed in the IS300’s IS the FAULTY PART?
  • I cringe every time I'm going to go put gas, dreading the struggle I will have to deal with having to push, reposition and hold that pump in place as it continuously auto stops when the tank is not full.
  • I FOUND A FORUM ONLINE WHERE OTHER LEXUS OWNERS ARE ALSO HAVING THE SAME ISSUE THAT I AM HAVING WITH THIS IS-300.
  • The Service Manager at the Dealer tried to tell me the problem might be with the gas station I go to. But I go to many. Also our other cars (a Honda, an Acura & the LC-500 don't have issues with gassing up. (The PROBLEM is ONLY WITH THE IS-300).
  • I was sold a LEMON.
  • The Desert Dealer FILED a report with Lexus Corp.
  • WE FILED a report/claim with Lexus Corp. BUT in a LETTER from STEVE BURTON, Customer Satisfaction Manager, HE HAS DECLINED TO DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. THEY NEED TO TAKE THEIR LEMON BACK.LEXUS DIDN’T EVEN SEND ONE OF THEIR TECH PEOPLE TO COME EXAMINE MY CAR, yet Mr. Burton states “based on our FINDING”. What findings? RIDICULOUS!!
  • WE want Lexus to resolve this with us and take their LEMON car back, and reimburse our money as we would rather resolve this without involving an attorney.
  • TO ADD INSULT TO INJURY.. NOW WE HAVE RECEIVED A NOTICE OUR LC-500 HAS A RECALL AND THERE IS A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT affecting nearly 700,000 of Toyota/Lexus cars. "The lawsuit alleges, “ The faulty fuel pump could prematurely stop operating, and cause an engine to run rough or a vehicle to STALL OUT. - “during the course of normal use the same dangerous condition presented by the supposedly defective fuel pump exists in all 2018-2019 Toyota-manufactured vehicles."

The money spent on these TWO CARS WITH LEXUS, looks to have been a REAL BAD DEAL FOR US.

LEXUS needs to make this right.

I AM A VERY UNSATISFIED CUSTOMER IN LEXUS IS-300 PRODUCT AND CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Last edited by Andeeo11; 04-14-20 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-14-20, 11:14 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

@Andeeo11 hate to hear you had issues with your Lexus’s. Unfortunately complaining on here isn’t really going to do anything. If I were you I’d call up Lexus Corporate and complain and tell them everything you just typed up right here.
Old 04-14-20, 12:20 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Who did you send that to? I would reformat and reword in a letter to corporate.

I have this issue at Costco. Rarely anywhere else, but everytime at any Costco.
Old 04-14-20, 12:25 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

I had this problem and solved it by *slightly* like I mean a half inch to 1 inch max, pulling the pump back.

use to happen to me constantly, has not happened in over a year, by simply slightly pulling the pump out of the tank a half inch or so.

now before some goof chimes in “derrrppp that’s dangerous” remember I said SLIGHTLY and I’ve filled up that way hundreds of times without a hitch.

not saying this is your specific problem, but my problem of the pump turning off constantly was 100% fixed by this.

and I have a 2015 350 awd and it is affected by the latest recall to.
Ktrav103 (10-16-20)
Old 04-14-20, 12:28 PM
xfumbler
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I asked a Costco attendant about this happening and they mentioned that the force/speed used by Costco to dispense gas is higher than usual and it may cause splash back. The splash back triggers the shutoff. I don't know if this is true, I'm just reporting what I was told. Also, as I mentioned previously, the sure-fire fix for me to prevent the stoppage is not use the pump handle lock, but to hold the pump handle up as high as it can go (pointing the nozzle down) the entire time. It is awkward, annoying and mildly exhausting to do, but it works for me without fail at the two Chevron's I went to as well as the Costco I currently use. I've never tried holding it sideways, but suspect this is another fix. Your mileage may vary.

Quick Reply: Gas pump keeps stopping