IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

OMG only 5 weeks with car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-17, 05:19 PM
BennyISF
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default OMG only 5 weeks with car!!!

OMG fellas I just got rear ended and now I’m worried about the damage and if the car will be totaled!!! from what I can see rear bumper, left quarter panel, tail light and left inside where the spare tire sits is bent and trunk doesn’t close. What do u think totaled or repairable?

Last edited by BennyISF; 12-11-17 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-11-17, 06:05 PM
Vitveet
Racer

Received 247 Likes on 173 Posts

What year and mileage? Doesn't look totalled by any means....but that's usually determined by the value of the car.
Sorry to see and hear about your luck. Glad you're ok. ISFs seem to be very tough cars....haven't heard of anyone getting injured in a wreck with them.
Hope you can get it squared away or either back into another F soon!

V.
​​​​​
Old 12-11-17, 06:11 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Get it fixed and get rid of it.
Old 12-11-17, 06:12 PM
BennyISF
Driver

It’s 2009 with 68K
Old 12-11-17, 07:39 PM
AWD4Mo
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to see this, but happy you are not hurt.
Doesn't look like it would be totaled.
Best of luck to you....I'm sure it can be easily fixed.
Old 12-11-17, 09:22 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Sorry to hear.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 12-11-17, 10:32 PM
isfvss
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

Hey in the day time it will look better if the chassis rail are bent it could be a right off if not get the best panel shop possible for your baby, good luck and let the forum know the outcome cheer.
Old 12-12-17, 05:30 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Damn, that sucks.. Drivers in the DC area are insane. This was last night on I-270 wasn't it? Someone spotted you & posted in the Facebook NEISF group. Good luck getting her back in shape.

-Mike
Old 12-12-17, 09:03 AM
BennyISF
Driver

Dropped car off at Lexus dealer collision center and will get a estimate in about two days. Adjuster tells me that it’s not totaled and completely repairable!!! Will keep everyone posted.
Old 12-12-17, 09:36 AM
BennyISF
Driver

Here are daytime photos

Old 12-12-17, 10:39 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by BennyISF
Dropped car off at Lexus dealer collision center and will get a estimate in about two days. Adjuster tells me that it’s not totaled and completely repairable!!! Will keep everyone posted.
You may want to get another estimate elsewhere as well. If I'm not mistaken, many Lexus dealers farm out collision repair to Caliber, which is a high volume outfit. So, the quality of the work & attention to detail may suffer. Source: My neighbor's multiple experiences going thru Lexus for collision work on his IS350.

-Mike
Old 12-12-17, 01:40 PM
MpKSonic
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Based on my experience, I'd guess it's totaled. Yours has about 30k less miles than mine did at time of accident, but after initial, superficial estimate that came out to approximately $16k, the detailed estimate once they got in there and really looked at the damage, the car was very quickly totaled. And your damage looks far worse than mine. Here are my pictures:

OMG only 5 weeks with car!!!-8yueqdbh.jpg

OMG only 5 weeks with car!!!-etacsrwh.jpg

OMG only 5 weeks with car!!!-zlgon51h.jpg

I was happy when mine was officially totaled out. The thought of holding onto a car that I knew would never be the same worried me. And the fact that the resale value dropped significantly from that moment, I couldn't get that out of the back of my mind. Or even worse, having a rebuilt title. Good luck selling that for any decent amount. It was a huge relief when mine was totaled out.
Old 12-12-17, 04:23 PM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Looks totaled to me
Old 12-12-17, 05:42 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

^^^Wow. That looks totaled to you guys??? I destroyed the entire front passenger quarter of my G35 coupe drifting into a lightpost (it was a long time ago...and a tall lghtpost...and yes, it did fall. Anyways, I have 100000 more miles on that car and it still drives perfectly after the fix. I actually used that accident to get some updated headlights, etc. I called it a 50000 mile refresh!

Last edited by Jz39; 12-12-17 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-12-17, 07:02 PM
lawrence1
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Jz39
^^^Wow. That looks totaled to you guys??? I destroyed the entire front passenger quarter of my G35 coupe drifting into a lightpost (it was a long time ago...and a tall lghtpost...and yes, it did fall. Anyways, I have 100000 more miles on that car and it still drives perfectly after the fix. I actually used that accident to get some updated headlights, etc. I called it a 50000 mike refresh!
there is no question that the car can be repaired to be as good as new with the correct equipment and skillful bodywork. I am not a subscriber to this myth that it will never be the same if repaired either. With insurance companies however, it's essentially a numbers game and totaling a car has nothing to do with whether or not it's repairable, as anything can be fixed.

the retail cost to repair that car by a body shop will likely approach $18k-$20K so there's a very good chance it'll end up a total since salvage value is probably somewhere around $10K as is.

The math looks like this:
Actual cash value (ACV) = $30K (throwing a number out there)
Salvage value = $10K (estimate of what the car would bring at auction in its damaged state)
Estimated repair cost = $20K (preliminary). There are always supplements so this can go up and usually does go up.

The net difference between ACV and salvage value + estimated repair cost is essentially a wash, therefore it's easier to total and close the file quickly, instead of dealing with the hassle, having to warranty the repair, deal with body shop, pay for a rental, etc. Even if it initially looks less costly to repair, insurance companies will typically total a vehicle when it gets close.

these numbers are only estimates of course, as i don't know the specifics of the OP car (i.e. year, mileage, etc).

Quick Reply: OMG only 5 weeks with car!!!