LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wrong Centric Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-17, 02:09 PM
Craiger
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wrong Centric Rotors

The stock rotors are warped, so I ordered new fronts from Centric. I ordered ones for the L car because we have a '08 LS460L. It does not have the Touring Package. If you look on Centric's part list that I linked below you'll see that they list the L and Touring Package as using the same part numbers (120.44150 and 120.44151), so I order those. They arrived. Turns out, they are one inch larger diameter than what is on our car now (14-inch vs. 13-inch). Centric lists another rotor part number for "Excluding Touring Package". Obvious now, those are the ones I need even though I have an 'L' car. But still, they do not list the smaller "Excluding Touring Package" rotors as possibly being for the 'L' car. They list the larger rotors as being for the 'L'. Beware, on their parts list they do not make it clear that 'L' can sometimes require the "Excluding Touring Package" rotors. Again, my 'L' has 13-inch rotors - the smaller ones. This problem could have been avoided if Centric would list the diameter of their rotors.

https://centricparts.centriccatalog....&uid=ANR&sid=0

Any thoughts?
Old 12-11-17, 02:31 PM
Craiger
Rookie

BTW, if anyone near me wants my "Touring Package" front rotors I will sell them to you for 10% off. I can deliver if within twenty miles. Otherwise, you come get - Hillsboro, Oregon - or I'll meet you 20 miles out. I don't really feel like returning them - heavy, etc. Besides, who knows, my next 460 may have the touring package. I'm thinking about selling this car and getting another with lower miles.
Old 12-11-17, 02:36 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

I went to the Rock Auto site and you ordered the correct numbers for your car..... Could the previous owner installed the wrong rotors? I suggest calling Centric and talk to them about this problem. Who did you order these from??
Old 12-11-17, 03:01 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Received 213 Likes on 131 Posts

Sorry to hear about the wrong size of rotors. Can you exchange the rotors with the vendor? I ordered mine from CarID. They have a free exchange policy as well as the lowest price I could find for Centric rotors and pads, even lower than Rock Auto. I'm not associated in any way with CarID or any brake part vendors.
Old 12-12-17, 05:33 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

same thing happened to me.
ordered and received wrong size rotors for all 4 wheels from rockauto.com
I did not replace the rotors right after receiving them, only found that out 6 months after receiving the order and could not return them.
then had to re-order from local auto parts store.
what to do with those rotors?
Old 12-12-17, 01:48 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Craiger
BTW, if anyone near me wants my "Touring Package" front rotors I will sell them to you for 10% off. I can deliver if within twenty miles. Otherwise, you come get - Hillsboro, Oregon - or I'll meet you 20 miles out. I don't really feel like returning them - heavy, etc. Besides, who knows, my next 460 may have the touring package. I'm thinking about selling this car and getting another with lower miles.
Craiger - If those centrics fit my car, I may take you up on that offer. I'm going to check.

On Edit - Based on what I read on RockAuto, I would need the 12144148 and 12144149. On the RockAuto website is says, "excluding Sport package," for these 2 part numbers. I take that to mean, that if a vehicle is a sport, these rotors would not work. Mine is not an F-Sport, so I believe these numbers would be the correct rotors.

If I'm correct, Craiger's rotors would not work for me. Somebody check me on that, please.

Jason

Last edited by Oliver Enterprises; 12-12-17 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-17-17, 01:13 PM
Craiger
Rookie

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Craiger - If those centrics fit my car, I may take you up on that offer. I'm going to check.

On Edit - Based on what I read on RockAuto, I would need the 12144148 and 12144149. On the RockAuto website is says, "excluding Sport package," for these 2 part numbers. I take that to mean, that if a vehicle is a sport, these rotors would not work. Mine is not an F-Sport, so I believe these numbers would be the correct rotors.

If I'm correct, Craiger's rotors would not work for me. Somebody check me on that, please.

Jason
Those are the ones I"m using. The ones I'm not are for the Touring Package and the numbers are 120.44150 and 120.44151. They are too heavy to mail to someone. I'm sending them back.

Man, these online parts companies suck at telling you what you are ordering. I looked all over the place and almost none of them make it really clear or tell you the dimensions.
I did eventually find all the dimensions, I think. There are at least three sizes of rotors for a 2008 LS460 (there could be four if the F Sport's are different).
One, for AWD. They are 22 mm thick and 335 mm diameter.
Two, for the base 460. They are 30 mm thick and 334 mm diameter.
Three, Touring Package. They are 34 mm thick and 357 mm diameter.
I don't know about F Sport. I gave up looking.

The Centric site sucks. They tell you none of that and they are not clear about 'L', 'Touring Package', whether they mean L or Touring Package, or L with the Touring Package.
I could design their site better than that and I know crap about computers.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Craiger; 12-17-17 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-17-17, 04:53 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 177 Posts

I found out that Carid had the same set, which is what I'm going to get because I have the touring Package too. Good Luck Man.....
Old 12-17-17, 04:55 PM
Craiger
Rookie

Greasing the pad shims, like this guy's doing at 6:40. Is 500 degree grease, like for wheel bearings, good for that? Or does it need to be something else?
Old 12-17-17, 06:48 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Greasing the pad shims, like this guy's doing at 6:40. Is 500 degree grease, like for wheel bearings, good for that? Or does it need to be something else?
It is interesting that most brake repair videos on YouTube show that both shims are greased, including the exterior of the second (the outer shims that contact the caliper cylinders), as shown in your video. I greased mine as well (before reading the repair manual carefully) when I replaced the rotors and pads on my LS460. However, the repair manual says "Do not apply grease to the sides of the 2 No. 1 anti-squeal shims that contact the No. 2 anti-squeal shims". Wonder why the repair manual not recommend applying grease between the two shims. What's the harm of greasing both shims and on both sides of the shims?
Old 01-02-18, 09:46 PM
BigMau
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Greasing the shims might be a short term solution to "noisy brakes". Unless some super lube is used it will not handle the heat generated over time and become hard and.. anyone's guess. I have personally found that USING the brakes keeps them working properly and rarely have squeeling-chattering issues. Sometimes I have to take my wife's car out for a little exercise when she tells me her brakes are getting noisy. Disclaimer: Your results may vary.
The following users liked this post:
yyymmm31 (01-02-18)
Old 01-02-18, 10:11 PM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Yes, indeed, less heat-resisting lube on shims will dry up and stick to the shims and even stick to the rubber caliper piston boots. BTW, the rubber caliper piston boots may tear and crack over time. One of my rear caliper piston boots broke into two pieces. Toyota dealers sell a caliper rebuild kit for $36. O'Reilly auto sell a nearly identical replacement kit for $9, which comes with 4 rubber boots and 4 seal rings (enough for the entire rear brake caliper).
Old 01-03-18, 11:03 AM
fb182
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HulMDywcd50&t=2s
Originally Posted by yyymmm31
It is interesting that most brake repair videos on YouTube show that both shims are greased, including the exterior of the second (the outer shims that contact the caliper cylinders), as shown in your video. I greased mine as well (before reading the repair manual carefully) when I replaced the rotors and pads on my LS460. However, the repair manual says "Do not apply grease to the sides of the 2 No. 1 anti-squeal shims that contact the No. 2 anti-squeal shims". Wonder why the repair manual not recommend applying grease between the two shims. What's the harm of greasing both shims and on both sides of the shims?
The Lexus brake shims are designed to be used without grease. The backside of the shim that goes on the pad has a rubberized coating that holds it in place. Probably a potential safety issue if grease is used. No point in going against what the team of engineers that built the car say

I recently replaced my pads and shims and didn't use grease and haven't had any squealing.
The following users liked this post:
yyymmm31 (01-03-18)
Old 01-04-18, 06:59 AM
altoreid
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What brake pads are you using with new rotors ?
Craiger, what indy shops in the Portland metro area would you let work on your car ?
Kuni is out of the question. Only good for free goodies and coffee !
Old 01-04-18, 09:33 AM
yyymmm31
Intermediate

Originally Posted by altoreid
What brake pads are you using with new rotors ?
Craiger, what indy shops in the Portland metro area would you let work on your car ?
Kuni is out of the question. Only good for free goodies and coffee !
I followed the advice on this forum and used Centric Posi Quiet premium ceramic pads and Centric premium rotors to replace OE rotors and pads. Before the replacement, my OE pads always made a noise in the morning when I backed the car out of my garage and the braking was always touchy (too sensitive). After the replacement, the braking is smooth and quiet. It is a big improvement. My OEM pads still had about 85% life left but I just disliked the noise and the touchy braking.

Quick Reply: Wrong Centric Rotors