Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Daily Slideshow: New Two Row LX 570 Looks to Steal Some of the Market

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-17, 11:32 AM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Daily Slideshow: New Two Row LX 570 Looks to Steal Some of the Market

Daily Slideshow: New Two Row LX 570 Looks to Steal Some of the Market

Lexus has been in the game of adding and subtracting lately with giving a row and taking a row from a couple vehicles. Check out this new spec of the LX that gives you more space to live your life.

By Sarah Portia - December 6, 2017

Old 12-06-17, 11:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,359 Posts

looks like they're trying to do again what they did with the gx with de-contenting and lower price, and that certainly worked.

i don't know why anyone would want a vehicle as huge and expensive as the lx WITHOUT 3 rows though and without even options for things like ventilated seats.
Old 12-06-17, 12:38 PM
deusex
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What we need is a new redesign!! not 10yr old tech being pump up.
Old 12-06-17, 01:39 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 203 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't know why anyone would want a vehicle as huge and expensive as the lx WITHOUT 3 rows though and without even options for things like ventilated seats.
I fit half that profile. There are 4 of us, and we're all tall--my 10 year old is the shortest at 5'7", but obviously that won't last long. The only reason we would look at a 3-row SUV is because some of them have a roomier 2nd row. LX would be in the running, and I'd rather have more cargo space than those bizarre jumpseats that we'd literally never use. Getting rid of them AND saving 5 grand is win-win.

BUT, you pointed out the rub. Just because we don't want those goofy-*** seats doesn't mean we don't want heated steering wheel, HUD, ventilated seats, etc. etc. Those things are actually useful/valuable to us. So I for one am hoping that they ditch the separate optionless model, and just add "3rd row delete -$5000" to the options list for 2019. Not likely, but one can hope.
Old 12-06-17, 01:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
I fit half that profile. There are 4 of us, and we're all tall--my 10 year old is the shortest at 5'7", but obviously that won't last long. The only reason we would look at a 3-row SUV is because some of them have a roomier 2nd row. LX would be in the running, and I'd rather have more cargo space than those bizarre jumpseats that we'd literally never use. Getting rid of them AND saving 5 grand is win-win.

BUT, you pointed out the rub. Just because we don't want those goofy-*** seats doesn't mean we don't want heated steering wheel, HUD, ventilated seats, etc. etc. Those things are actually useful/valuable to us. So I for one am hoping that they ditch the separate optionless model, and just add "3rd row delete -$5000" to the options list for 2019. Not likely, but one can hope.
I agree, not everyone needs or wants a third row. Its crazy to think how silly and stupid those third row seats are. Toyota used to make third row seats removable, I don't know why they still don't.
Old 12-06-17, 05:10 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Toyota used to make third row seats removable, I don't know why they still don't.
Don't know this for a fact, but my guess is (probably) safety considerations. Seat-security standards in a crash have gotten so strict that the strong, bulky hardware needed to keep the seat intact in a crash, yet still allow it to be adjusted back and forth, probably makes it difficult to detach/remove and re-attach the seat. Some vehicles get around this by an under-floor fold-down system like Chrysler's Stow-N-Go, but that sometimes interferes with underbody components and RWD/AWD hardware.
Old 12-06-17, 07:44 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I agree, not everyone needs or wants a third row. Its crazy to think how silly and stupid those third row seats are. Toyota used to make third row seats removable, I don't know why they still don't.
Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't know this for a fact, but my guess is (probably) safety considerations. Seat-security standards in a crash have gotten so strict that the strong, bulky hardware needed to keep the seat intact in a crash, yet still allow it to be adjusted back and forth, probably makes it difficult to detach/remove and re-attach the seat. Some vehicles get around this by an under-floor fold-down system like Chrysler's Stow-N-Go, but that sometimes interferes with underbody components and RWD/AWD hardware.
May be much simpler than that: Where do you put those seats after you remove them? This is the reason North American minivans have that well in the back, so you can fold the rear seat into the well, out of the way, when not needed.
Old 12-07-17, 12:40 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I like this option. I had no idea this existed. The only complaint I've ever had about the LX570 is that the third row doesn't come out like they did on the LX470. The newer LX570's is my favorite current SUV but Toyota needs to get Apple Carplay/Android Auto in these things. I work at a dealership and I get asked about that and if the third row seats are removable almost every time we sell an LX. Most people just deal with it or rarely use the third row so they don't mind.
Old 12-07-17, 07:31 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
May be much simpler than that: Where do you put those seats after you remove them? This is the reason North American minivans have that well in the back, so you can fold the rear seat into the well, out of the way, when not needed.

That's why I mentioned the Chrysler Stow-N-Go system in my last post. Jill brought up the question of Toyota, though. The Sienna is currently the only minivan in the American market that offers AWD. That deep-dish well in the back (supposedly) would interfere with the AWD underbody hardware in the rear, which is probably one reason Toyota doesn't offer it. It would be impractical for Toyota to have two different unibodies for the same vehicle (Sienna)...one with the rear well molded in for AWD, and the other without, for FWD.
Old 12-07-17, 10:58 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That's why I mentioned the Chrysler Stow-N-Go system in my last post. Jill brought up the question of Toyota, though. The Sienna is currently the only minivan in the American market that offers AWD. That deep-dish well in the back (supposedly) would interfere with the AWD underbody hardware in the rear, which is probably one reason Toyota doesn't offer it. It would be impractical for Toyota to have two different unibodies for the same vehicle (Sienna)...one with the rear well molded in for AWD, and the other without, for FWD.
How did the Sienna come into a discussion of a BOF SUV?

The AWD Siennas only come as 7-seater models because the driveshaft in AWD does not allow for the 2nd-row centre seat but ALL Siennas -- both FWD and AWD -- come with the rear well because it does not interfere with AWD hardware.

The ladder frame in body-on-frame vehicles does not allow for under-floor wells, at least not large enough to fold seats into.
Old 12-07-17, 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
How did the Sienna come into a discussion of a BOF SUV?
The discussion, over a number of posts, turned to the issue of whether back-row seats could either fold down or be removed. The Sienna is a classic example (as you yourself note) of where AWD hardware interferes with the fold-down process...some posters seemingly wanted to know why some third-row seats (presumably including the LX) are removable and why some aren't.
Old 12-09-17, 11:47 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had my LX470, the third row was put in my garage the whole time. I never needed the third row, plus I can save weight hence better gas mileage, and much better cargo space.
Old 12-10-17, 06:19 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Perfect vehicle for fat people.
Old 12-10-17, 07:57 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't want 3rd row and like big trunk space like a minivan.........this is a ideal for me at-least. curious to know the MSRP.
Old 12-10-17, 08:14 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not with that face.

Quick Reply: Daily Slideshow: New Two Row LX 570 Looks to Steal Some of the Market