RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Is it okay to put XL tires on my RX 350 that doesn't "need" XL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-17, 09:24 AM
sutrinai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it okay to put XL tires on my RX 350 that doesn't "need" XL?

I drive a 2013 RX 350. The tires currently on my car are not XL, but I'm looking at purchasing new tires, and the salesman at reputable tire dealer suggested a model that is XL. After doing some research, I think I understand what XL means--that it doesn't mean that they're extra large or anything like that, but that they are extra-load/reinforced, and that the load index on these is much higher than a standard-load ("SL") tire. These are the two tire sizes I'm debating between (both of which fit my car specs):

235 /60 R18 107V XL
235 /60 R18 103H SL

Are there any significant drawbacks to putting XL tires on a car that doesn't "need" them? I'm a pretty vanilla driver--drive mostly in the city (sometimes on the highway), so would it be beneficial to have XL-reinforced tires in case of potholes, etc.? My question is, if the price is basically the same, should I opt for the XL rather than the SL?

Thanks!
Old 12-06-17, 10:45 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by sutrinai
I drive a 2013 RX 350. The tires currently on my car are not XL, but I'm looking at purchasing new tires, and the salesman at reputable tire dealer suggested a model that is XL. After doing some research, I think I understand what XL means--that it doesn't mean that they're extra large or anything like that, but that they are extra-load/reinforced, and that the load index on these is much higher than a standard-load ("SL") tire. These are the two tire sizes I'm debating between (both of which fit my car specs):

235 /60 R18 107V XL
235 /60 R18 103H SL

Are there any significant drawbacks to putting XL tires on a car that doesn't "need" them? I'm a pretty vanilla driver--drive mostly in the city (sometimes on the highway), so would it be beneficial to have XL-reinforced tires in case of potholes, etc.? My question is, if the price is basically the same, should I opt for the XL rather than the SL?

Thanks!
Our OEM tires are V-speed rated. H is one lever lower. Some tire shops only allow one level decrease.
Both of these comply, but I'd go with the V over H. My winter tire set is Extra Load, and I never thought twice about it.
Old 12-06-17, 03:16 PM
Barry2522
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

XL tire will ride like a truck . I would never put them on an RX . But I'm pretty picky about ride quality .

Last edited by Barry2522; 12-07-17 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-06-17, 05:17 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, it will be a trade off between soft ride (SL) vs tough ride (XL). The XL will have beefed up side walls to have the XL rating and hence rougher ride. I would think the beefed up side walls will help in case of pot holes.

Originally Posted by Barry2522
XL tire will ride like a truck . I would never put them on an RX . But I,m pretty picky about ride quality .
Old 12-07-17, 06:38 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

It will also help it steer more responsively due to less sidewall flex. If the OEM tires are XL/V speed rated, then I would think that is what Lexus designed the suspension for and what you should make your first choice. Unless a soft ride is your top priority, in which case, get the H rated tire. However, ride quality may vary as much more among tire models as between XL/V or H Speed ratings. You never identified the brand and model tire.
I think you would be more informed by looking at the tire reviews and owner comments at www.tirerack.com
Old 12-07-17, 05:15 PM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Saying "XL" tires have a truck-like ride is like saying tires with higher speed ratings are higher performance. It's not true. Case in point, the XL tires I put on my 04 Mazda6 had some of the softest sidewalls on the market and rode like a cream puff compared to the stock Michelin's they replaced. Ride quality depends on the tire design and manufacturer, and equating XL with harsh ride is inaccurate, even if it is sometimes coincidentally true.

It's likely that some people are confusing XL load ratings with the "LT" Light Truck tire designation.
The following users liked this post:
vlad_a (12-08-17)
Old 12-08-17, 08:10 AM
sutrinai
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate all the feedback. The tires I'm looking at are Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus, which are the "Top Rated" recommendation for the 2013 RX 350 by TireRack. Technically, that refers to the 235/60 R18 103H SL model. However, the guy at Discount Tire recommended the 235/60 R18 107V XL model for my vehicle. Customer reviews and ratings are very high for both models, so I just keep going back and forth wondering if I'm better off with the higher 107 and V ratings despite the supposed "rough ride" of XLs... or if I should just play it safe with the 103 and H ratings of the SLs. I just don't want to make a decision I'll regret.

(Note: I bought the car used a couple years ago, and it currently has Bridgestone model 235/60 R18 102V model tires.)
Old 12-08-17, 12:05 PM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

If the tire fits the rim and meets spec, and meets your price point, and targets the performance you want/need... get them.
tus (12-08-17)
Old 12-10-17, 01:41 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Does Discount Tires offer:. "If you don't love them, we'll take them back" guarantee?

Originally Posted by sutrinai
I appreciate all the feedback. The tires I'm looking at are Pirelli Scorpion All Season Plus, which are the "Top Rated" recommendation for the 2013 RX 350 by TireRack. Technically, that refers to the 235/60 R18 103H SL model. However, the guy at Discount Tire recommended the 235/60 R18 107V XL model for my vehicle. Customer reviews and ratings are very high for both models, so I just keep going back and forth wondering if I'm better off with the higher 107 and V ratings despite the supposed "rough ride" of XLs... or if I should just play it safe with the 103 and H ratings of the SLs. I just don't want to make a decision I'll regret.

(Note: I bought the car used a couple years ago, and it currently has Bridgestone model 235/60 R18 102V model tires.)
Old 12-10-17, 11:00 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Solution to your dilemma is simple - buy Michelin Premier LTX. They were designed specifically for the 4RX and they're simply awesome.
I made a mistake of buying Goodyear TrippleTreds for our RX, and I was lucky Sam's Club has a 30 day return policy.
Got the Michelin Premiers instead and was blown away by what a difference they made.
Old 10-13-18, 12:40 AM
Lexcel
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This issue came up with me this week getting times on my '07 RX350. I did LOTS of research over two weeks. The manager of a local tire shop said you should stick with the rating close to what is factory for the vehicle, in my case the '07 RX350 is factory at load rating 99, and the tires I bought today were Falkens at a 100V Load rating.

The manager said if I were to go with some of the higher load tires like Cooper CS5 which I believe has a 104V rating, the sidewall will be stiffer and I'll lose the plush ride that the Lexus is known for. I don't know whether that is true or not, and someone has disputed this finding in this thread as a misconception, but I just thought to point this out that a reputable tire shop did reinforce this belief posted earlier here. I also found out that my vehicle CANNOT take H rated tires, so don't put them on if yours cant either as I see H mentioned here. Mine has the stock 18 inch rims and apparently that makes a diff over the 17 as to tire style (not just rim/tire size). Bottom line, whatever you put on your vehicle make sure the load rating isn't too far off what the factory recommends, and know that the two big specs besides the tire rim size are always: speed rating, and load rating. If you work within those two specs, at least you know the tires are safe and valid for that vehicle, and the rest becomes preference and feel. Not a bad idea to make sure the shop has a return policy.
As a major side note, it's a good idea to learn how to read date coding on tires and see the actual tires that go on your vehicle beforehand. I wish I had done that because this reputable shop put new tires which were THREE YEARS OLD on my Lexus today which I discovered after I got home. I only caught it because I know how to read date codes. I will be calling them to take them back! It's possible this was an error they didn't catch, as they did special order me a set of tires they did not normally carry so I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, (and I found out after this was a discontinued tire), but the shop still should have caught it as know they have a policy of only putting on newer stock tires. Still upsetting. Do not accept tires that are more than a year old in my opinion.
m5rahul (10-15-18)
Old 10-14-18, 04:47 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Yes, get them to put on newer tires OR get a refund which will be tricky bc if they take off the new tires, what are they gonna put on instead? Your old tires are most likely long gone!!

Originally Posted by Lexcel
This issue came up with me this week getting times on my '07 RX350. I did LOTS of research over two weeks. The manager of a local tire shop said you should stick with the rating close to what is factory for the vehicle, in my case the '07 RX350 is factory at load rating 99, and the tires I bought today were Falkens at a 100V Load rating.

The manager said if I were to go with some of the higher load tires like Cooper CS5 which I believe has a 104V rating, the sidewall will be stiffer and I'll lose the plush ride that the Lexus is known for. I don't know whether that is true or not, and someone has disputed this finding in this thread as a misconception, but I just thought to point this out that a reputable tire shop did reinforce this belief posted earlier here. I also found out that my vehicle CANNOT take H rated tires, so don't put them on if yours cant either as I see H mentioned here. Mine has the stock 18 inch rims and apparently that makes a diff over the 17 as to tire style (not just rim/tire size). Bottom line, whatever you put on your vehicle make sure the load rating isn't too far off what the factory recommends, and know that the two big specs besides the tire rim size are always: speed rating, and load rating. If you work within those two specs, at least you know the tires are safe and valid for that vehicle, and the rest becomes preference and feel. Not a bad idea to make sure the shop has a return policy.
As a major side note, it's a good idea to learn how to read date coding on tires and see the actual tires that go on your vehicle beforehand. I wish I had done that because this reputable shop put new tires which were THREE YEARS OLD on my Lexus today which I discovered after I got home. I only caught it because I know how to read date codes. I will be calling them to take them back! It's possible this was an error they didn't catch, as they did special order me a set of tires they did not normally carry so I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt, (and I found out after this was a discontinued tire), but the shop still should have caught it as know they have a policy of only putting on newer stock tires. Still upsetting. Do not accept tires that are more than a year old in my opinion.
Old 10-14-18, 10:56 PM
Lexcel
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Yes, get them to put on newer tires OR get a refund which will be tricky bc if they take off the new tires, what are they gonna put on instead? Your old tires are most likely long gone!!
Thank you. That is true, I did think of that - what are they going to put on with my tires now disposed of? I figured I'll either have to work out a replacement set from them with comparable brand, otherwise I'l have to get what I want on Amazon Prime shipped to me, and just take in the replacement tires and have them install them and refund me for the bad rubber they sold me.
Old 10-15-18, 02:40 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Usually the manager will just place a call to their regional tire distributor and get another set. The problem maybe availability for THAT specific brand/model of tires......in other words not in stock......

Good luck.

Thank you. That is true, I did think of that - what are they going to put on with my tires now disposed of? I figured I'll either have to work out a replacement set from them with comparable brand, otherwise I'l have to get what I want on Amazon Prime shipped to me, and just take in the replacement tires and have them install them and refund me for the bad rubber they sold me.
Old 10-15-18, 12:56 PM
m5rahul
Intermediate

Received 102 Likes on 69 Posts
Thumbs up

... it's a good idea to learn how to read date coding on tires and see the actual tires that go on your vehicle beforehand. ... Do not accept tires that are more than a year old in my opinion.
How do we read the date codes

Looking for tires as well..

Thanks..appreciate the tip!

Quick Reply: Is it okay to put XL tires on my RX 350 that doesn't "need" XL?