Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How Shock Absorbers and Struts Work

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-17, 04:55 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts
Default How Shock Absorbers and Struts Work

Here’s how a strut or shock absorber works in your car to dampen the ride. I took apart a strut and grinded it open to see the mechanics inside and made a short video on it:

The spring is responsible for supporting the weight of the vehicle. It absorbs the majority of the impact when the wheel travels over a bump in the road. However, the spring stores that energy and needs to release it. Left uncontrolled, this would lead to a bouncy ride. To counteract this, we have the damper, also known as the shock absorber. In a strut assembly, the coil spring sits on top of the shock absorber. I’m use these terms interchangeably throughout. A car acts like a spring-mass-damper system, with a free body diagram roughly as such: How Shock Absorbers and Struts Work-ad3xvv1.jpg

Disassembling the strut:

How Shock Absorbers and Struts Work-4lfamqh.jpg

How Shock Absorbers and Struts Work-vqjo8ud.jpg

I grinded open the lamination at the top:

How Shock Absorbers and Struts Work-p1qdagw.jpg

 And I pulled out the cylinder from the housing; inside which contains a piston. Some oil dripped out. How Shock Absorbers and Struts Work-r2ovdyb.jpg

The cylinder has a valve on the bottom:

How Shock Absorbers and Struts Work-ufrrexp.jpgThis valve is an orifice containing a few spring washers on either side. This works to control the flow of oil in a particular direction: How Shock Absorbers and Struts Work-wsl1ys9.jpgThe piston itself has another valve, pretensioned with this spring on the end: How Shock Absorbers and Struts Work-pyswzbm.jpgHere’s a rough diagram of what goes on inside a shock absorber: How Shock Absorbers and Struts Work-hvgfe0s.jpgAs the piston moves up and down with the suspension, the oil inside the pressure tube is forced to go through the piston valve and the base valve to move into the adjacent chambers. The orifice in the valve controls the rate of oil flow, and provides resistance to motion, giving it that damping effect.The idea behind a shock absorber or strut is to ease the natural bouncing motion of a spring. If the shocks are worn, and the system becomes underdamped, then that wheel is going to be bouncing down the road (red line). If the shocks are too aggressive, then it can create a situation where it delays the time it takes for the tire to rebound to its position before the bump (green line).At critical dampening, the tire will rebound as quickly as it can to the road, without overshoot (blue line). In reality, critical dampening isn’t used, rather its slightly tuned underdamped for a more comfortable ride.

How Shock Absorbers and Struts Work-baqx4lr.gifAnd that’s pretty much all the guts inside of a strut or shock absorber. How Shock Absorbers and Struts Work-1ntunpu.jpg

Enjoy

-speedkar9
Old 12-05-17, 06:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks. Nice post, speedkar.

I find most of today's vehicles (not all) to have too much wheel, too little sidewall, too much spring-rate, and too much damping for my tastes. I'm a firm believer in comfort.
Old 04-20-19, 02:08 PM
yugzster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow...great job.

Thanks for the hard work.
I have a 2003 sc430 and 93 sc400, and I'm stil trying to figure these out enough to keep and work on them as a retiree hobby.

Thanks,
Yugzster
Old 04-21-19, 05:34 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Awesome post. That was a great read.
Old 04-21-19, 06:13 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Thanks for showing.

Maybe it's common sense for you guys, but I've even replaced struts, and shocks, and didn't realize there was a bearing as part of the strut mount / overall installation. It's kind of cool to know a little about how things work. My point is, there are many instances where you actually do a job and not even realize how things work. I think this is exactly why today, it seems like floating calipers have disappeared from many cars that have them on the front, because nobody really knows/cares lol (even a sedan like a M5 with carbon ceramics, floating rear calipers).
Old 04-23-19, 06:27 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by redspencer
Awesome post. That was a great read.
Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Thanks for showing.

Maybe it's common sense for you guys, but I've even replaced struts, and shocks, and didn't realize there was a bearing as part of the strut mount / overall installation. It's kind of cool to know a little about how things work. My point is, there are many instances where you actually do a job and not even realize how things work. I think this is exactly why today, it seems like floating calipers have disappeared from many cars that have them on the front, because nobody really knows/cares lol (even a sedan like a M5 with carbon ceramics, floating rear calipers).
Thanks all!
You are right, replacing parts is a very different experience than opening them up and finding out how they work, you learn a lot more that way!
Old 04-24-19, 09:09 AM
Benoit
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

If I could allow, I have a little add to this with helpful informations provided by Tein.
https://www.tein.co.jp/e/special/ni_toryu/index.html