IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Which MICHELIN tires do you like best for an IS350 FSport RWD?
MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S 3+
56.60%
MICHELIN PILOT SPORT PS2 ZP
5.66%
MICHELIN PILOT SUPER SPORT
37.74%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Help Getting New Tires ?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-17, 04:08 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Question Help Getting New Tires ?!

Hi, Sorry if this is repetitive but I want to get new Michelin tires and boiled things down to the three pasted below. I have an IS350 FSport RWD, live in Los Angeles so there is no snow but sometimes in winter months there's heavy rain every day. Could you please comment and give recommendations based in priority order of 1) which might last the longest, 2) Treadwear, 3) Performance, 4) Speed Ratings, and 5) all around overall BEST of these?

a) MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ (W- OR Y-SPEED RATED)
b) MICHELIN PILOT SPORT PS2 ZP
c) MICHELIN PILOT SUPER SPORT

THANKS!!

PS >>> also remember to submit your Vote in the Poll !!

Last edited by LaZeR; 03-25-19 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-29-17, 04:15 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Heavy rain = 1" in Los Angeles :P

I had the all season Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my old S4 and i drive the Malibu Canyon roads every day to work. They stuck pretty good and i liked the tires a lot. The only reason why i selected all seasons is that during the winter time in the Malibu Canyons, temperatures can reach from mid to low 30 degrees in the morning and summer tires might struggle for traction in those temperatures.

If i didnt have to go thru canyon roads everyday, i would've selected Summer Tires.
The following users liked this post:
LaZeR (11-29-17)
Old 11-29-17, 05:10 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by skiracer
Heavy rain = 1" in Los Angeles :P I had the all season Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my old S4 and i drive the Malibu Canyon roads every day to work. They stuck pretty good and i liked the tires a lot. The only reason why i selected all seasons is that during the winter time in the Malibu Canyons, temperatures can reach from mid to low 30 degrees in the morning and summer tires might struggle for traction in those temperatures. If i didnt have to go thru canyon roads everyday, i would've selected Summer Tires.
By "heavy rain" what I meant was, if you might remember, this past year from around January to April we were inundated with rain almost every day & night, kinda like the Great Flood during Noah's Ark... hee hee hee And crappy drivers ~ which I TRY to avoid ~ skid all over the place.

So which of those three model tires would you have bought if you're mainly on highways and West LA? THANKS AGAIN!!

Then again maybe if the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ are deemed "All Season" it might be the best bet?
Old 11-29-17, 05:55 PM
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Hands down for where you live, Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

A few years back, I picked up a 2008 Honda S2000 in late March from Virginia. It had bald PSS and it lightly snowed on the way back to Silver Spring, MD where my sister lives. I live in Toronto and immediately replaced them with a fresh set of PSS. A month or so later, I had to drive the car to the shop for some work and it was snowing. In both instances, there was no problem at all in near freezing temps with snow on the ground, neither the ABS nor the traction control or VSA kicked in ever. I have I driven in heavy rain at 10 degree C temperatures a little over the speed limit. No feel of hydroplaning at all. I was leaving a friends place on night with two other buddies and they disappeared from my rearview mirror.... they both had FWD cars.

I had the older A/S on my 2009 Civic. They were awesome year around, even during the winters here in Toronto, which I admit if I lived a little bit outside of the city, I'd consider getting winters, but they are pretty mild here.

I have A/S 3+s on my '14 IS350 AWD that I had for a year and I got around in the snow fine last year.

If I lived in California (northern or southern) I'd go with a set of PSS.

Last edited by 387; 11-29-17 at 05:58 PM.
LaZeR (11-29-17)
Old 11-29-17, 08:40 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by 387
Hands down for where you live, Michelin Pilot Super Sports. ... If I lived in California (northern or southern) I'd go with a set of PSS.
Good Review but don't you think the PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ will last longer than the PILOT SUPER SPORT especially for sunny months & hot roads in LA? I THINK the lower the speed rating the longer the tread lasts -- couple thousand miles maybe.

I'm going to Toronto in a couple weeks but NOT taking the IS350
Old 11-29-17, 09:18 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Good Review but don't you think the PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ will last longer than the PILOT SUPER SPORT especially for sunny months & hot roads in LA? I THINK the lower the speed rating the longer the tread lasts -- couple thousand miles maybe.

I'm going to Toronto in a couple weeks but NOT taking the IS350
Yes the A/S 3+ will definitely outlast the Super Sports hands down. However, grip and tread life is normally negatively correlated....

You want more grip or u want more treadlife? Or something in between?
Old 11-29-17, 09:28 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by skiracer
... You want more grip or u want more treadlife? Or something in between?
Definitely tread life is the priority... I'm almost always usually satisfied with grip when it comes to good tire brands, especially in LA, there's barely anywhere to really let loose in your car anyway...
Old 11-30-17, 03:07 AM
twixx007
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi, Sorry if this is repetitive but I want to get new Michelin tires and boiled things down to the three pasted below. I have an IS350 FSport RWD, live in Los Angeles so there is no snow but sometimes in winter months there's heavy rain every day. Could you please comment and give recommendations based in priority order of 1) which might last the longest, 2) Treadwear, 3) Performance, 4) Speed Ratings, and 5) all around overall BEST of these?

THANKS!!

I have the MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S 3+. I just bought them about a month ago. I live in Germany so I deal with rain, snow, and ice. I drive on the Autobahn daily and so far these have lived up to the hype/reviews. They handle high speeds well and cut through water pretty good. My average speed coming home from work on the Autobahn averages to about 125 mph with no issues. Very smooth ride too. I purchased my tires from tirerack. Hope this helps with your decision.
LaZeR (11-30-17)
Old 11-30-17, 07:22 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Definitely tread life is the priority... I'm almost always usually satisfied with grip when it comes to good tire brands, especially in LA, there's barely anywhere to really let loose in your car anyway...
Then the A/S 3 are the way to go. I have the Super Sports and it feels like the hand of God guides my car through corners...grip is soooo good with those tires. However, you will definitely have less tire life for sure (~20k)
LaZeR (11-30-17)
Old 11-30-17, 08:43 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I live in California as well and I have MPSS. Was debating between A/S= as well but they didn't have the correct size on the A/S+ and ended up the MPSS.

From what I've read, MPSS does better in the rain than the A/S tires. The treadwear, 400 vs 300, is better on A/S but it is noisier due to harder compound. However I did hear that A/S+ is better in the dry than other summer tires.
LaZeR (11-30-17)
Old 11-30-17, 08:53 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jkonquer
I live in California as well and I have MPSS. Was debating between A/S= as well but they didn't have the correct size on the A/S+ and ended up the MPSS.

From what I've read, MPSS does better in the rain than the A/S tires. The treadwear, 400 vs 300, is better on A/S but it is noisier due to harder compound. However I did hear that A/S+ is better in the dry than other summer tires.

Prior to my A/S 3+, i had Continental Extreme Contact Sport summer only tires. I liked the A/S 3+ better surprisingly since it offered more predictable grip and longer treadlife...
Old 11-30-17, 09:27 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

I had Michellin Pilot Super Sport. Just a warning, my rear were already hitting the 2/32 bar after roughly 20k miles. They will not last long.
LaZeR (11-30-17)
Old 01-02-19, 04:47 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Question

Just refreshing this thread coz I didn't get new tires yet but will be soon. It looks like the Michelin Pilot Super Sport got ~60% of the vote, and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ only ~40%.

One thing I forgot to mention is that right now I'm replacing only the two front tires which are stock Bridgestone ER33(which apparently ain't all that)

Did you guys ever mix & match different manufacturer's tires front & rear?

Is there anything else or new on the market I should be looking at like the Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS?

THANKS!!

PS >>> also remember to submit your Vote in the Poll !!

Last edited by LaZeR; 01-03-19 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-02-19, 10:37 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

MICHELIN PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ is what you're looking for. SS's are overkill (for daily commute stuck in LA/OC traffic) and do not have great tread life.
LaZeR (01-02-19)
Old 01-03-19, 08:28 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,583 Posts

I'm a 3x MPSS owner who ran canyons my whole life in Malibu. So I'm a Michelin lover. But knowing the state, knowing the climate.

Never ever EVER AS tires. Ever.

Also your IS will eat your $1,000 set of tires. No point.

The only tire worth getting is Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s. Supreme performance and super cheap.

Quick Reply: Help Getting New Tires ?!