IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

New to ISF

Old 11-21-17, 02:43 PM
11isf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to ISF

Hello everyone,
I just got an 2011 ISF a couple of months ago. I'm looking forward to learning and enjoying the car.
I do have a quick question about warranties maybe someone can help me out.
The car currently has 62k miles.
At what miles does the original warranty expires anyone knows?
Is it worth it to get an extended warranty and if so should I get one from Lexus or third party?
Do they even sell OEM Lexus extended?
Any info on prices?

Thanks

Last edited by 11isf; 11-21-17 at 02:55 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 11-21-17, 11:27 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 11isf
Hello everyone,
I just got an 2011 ISF a couple of months ago. I'm looking forward to learning and enjoying the car.
I do have a quick question about warranties maybe someone can help me out.
The car currently has 62k miles.
At what miles does the original warranty expires anyone knows?
Is it worth it to get an extended warranty and if so should I get one from Lexus or third party?
Do they even sell OEM Lexus extended?
Any info on prices?

Thanks
Congrats on the new car and welcome to the F club, as far as warranty goes i don't believe any original warranty is transferable to new owners. i had a 2008 with an extended warranty from dealership i bought the car from and it really paid off for me. i just bought a 2012 isf with an extended warranty from the bank that give me the loan and it was fairly cheap at around $2000. i would talk to lexus about what are the warranties they take or work best with them.
Old 11-22-17, 12:45 AM
USB2011JAM
Rookie

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

4 yr/50,000 mi basic (bumper to bumper), 6 yr/70,000 mi powertrain (engine, trans, drivetrain, basically anything that makes the car drive and run) is the warranty the car comes with from factory, and yes it does transfer to new owner. the time clock starts ticking from the original sale date, which Lexus dealer can provide you, or you can probably see on a car fax when the car was first put into service.

Looks like your bumper is up due to miles and time, but could have a little left on the powertrain, depending on in-service date when the car was first sold.

Generally speaking extended warranties are not worth the cost (generally, and thats a big piece of debate wether they are worth it or not, but rolling the dice on a Japanese sedan from Toyota or Honda, you're generally going to be "ok", but if you opt not to get it, and it breaks, don't call me, its your choice). one thing a lot of people don't know and dealers don't want to tell you, is, if you buy an extended warranty you can cancel it at any time, and get your prorated amount of money back. So if you buy a 6 year warranty and roll into the loan, its wise to cancel it prior to trading the car in say after 2 years, because you'll get $ back, or lower balance on the loan. Dealers don't tell you because if you cancel a third party warranty the warranty company charges back the dealer the prorated amount also.

That said, if you do opt to buy a warranty, a Lexus warranty would be the best route because it will usually mimic the factory warranty closely, some of the third parties have deductibles, or little things here or there they don't cover. However , being that you've already owned the car for a few months, you may have a hard time buying an extended warranty at this point (especially a Lexus one) most of the time there is a time limit in which you can purchase a warranty on a used car. Sometimes 3rd party companies offer it regardless, but probably would need to research that more. You may have luck going into a lexus dealer and talking them into trying to certify the car, if you pay for it, but thats a long shot.

cheers
Old 11-22-17, 09:36 AM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

that's good that warranty transfers over i didn't know it did. really great info here. in my case my warranty did pay off as in 2 1/2 years of ownership they paid off around 13k in repairs. as everyone is i was skeptical about buying a warranty since lexus/toyota are extremely reliable but in the end i am glad i got it because it paid off big time. #1 reason why i got warranty again with my new F is because it gives me piece of mind, it was a great deal and well zero deductible which i like
Old 11-22-17, 11:32 AM
Leander311
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Welcome! Great looking F! Fairly new '11 owner here myself - got mine in June and have already modded/tracked the **** outta her!

Just be aware, if you see a sticker anywhere that says "CPO" which is the 100k mile Certified Pre-owned program from Lexus, that warranty does *not* transfer.

I'm also in the camp that an extended warranty is just like any other "insurance policy"... The house always wins, and given you're driving a Lexus with stellar reliability, extended warranties are not likely to work in your favor. Like any insurance policy, it's a simple matter of risk tolerance.
Old 11-22-17, 11:47 AM
USB2011JAM
Rookie

Yes correct, I should have clarified that.

The factory warranty transfers, any extended warranties typically will not. IE Lexus certified, and most 3rd party warranty vendors. However sometimes there is a fee a new owner can pay to have the warranty transfer. There is some hoops to jump through. I know for sure Audi certified you can indeed transfer, just need to pay a small processing fee, and jump through some hoops with either the dealer or the previous owner. Not sure on Lexus certified though.
Old 11-22-17, 11:53 AM
F_Throttle
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

My extended warranty has paid for itself - and then some.
Old 11-22-17, 11:58 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

CPO here which also has paid for itself (since it inflated the price of the vehicle). See my sig.
USB2011JAM covered everything.
Old 11-22-17, 03:17 PM
USB2011JAM
Rookie

Originally Posted by Quadrphnia
CPO here which also has paid for itself (since it inflated the price of the vehicle). See my sig.

Looks good, glad you were able to use the CPO warranty for its intended use, and get some benefit from it.

I stand by my statement based on data and statistics. Being in the automotive industry for over 15 years, i can tell you for certain, that 3rd party, or CPO warranties generally do not pencil out. While there are certainly many situations where it does, the vast majority (especially Japanese cars) of people who pay for an extended warranty do not benefit from it from a financial standpoint. Now where i would absolutely recommend an extended warranty is a European car, like Land Rover, Jaquar, MB, BMW. They usually get some benefit from it, however you have to note an extended warranty on say a late model range rover sport is probably in the 5,000.00 range, so some would even argue that doesn't pencil either when you take in the cost of the warranty.

In your situation thats could be chalked up to dealer negligence, while the warranty paid for itself in your situation, the fact still remains extended warranties generally do not pay for themselves.

confused on this statement "....has paid for itself (since it inflated the price of the vehicle)"
it gets paid for by buyer regardless wether you raise the price of the car or roll in a warranty after the fact?

Last edited by USB2011JAM; 11-22-17 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-22-17, 11:25 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Originally Posted by jum3
My extended warranty has paid for itself - and then some.

Had I purchased one, it would have been a complete waste of money. As with all things, YMMV.
Old 11-22-17, 11:30 PM
USB2011JAM
Rookie

Not sure i read the comment in a different context then was desired, but if so my mistake
Old 11-23-17, 09:06 AM
Quadrphnia
Advanced

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by USB2011JAM
Not sure i read the comment in a different context then was desired, but if so my mistake
Oh no you're good. I was saying I agree with your post & wouldn't purchase a 3rd party warranty, ever.
Since my car came with CPO, my guess is it would've been a grand or two cheaper had it not had CPO. In any case, if one can get CPO I say go for it, but never spring for 3rd party warranties. CPO options may be dead for this car at this point however.