Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Thoughts on the 2018 Camry XSE V6

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-17, 11:49 AM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Thoughts on the 2018 Camry XSE V6

I was wounder what you guys thoughts on this car, I seen one today dark silver with gun metal rims I must say it looked pretty dam good and you can get it fully loaded for 38K not bad I had to do a double take I thought it was a GS LOL
Old 11-21-17, 11:58 AM
bb700092
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts

I saw one in black with the larger OEM wheels parked in a shopping complex and had to look back once more. It looks very attractive from the outside.
Old 11-21-17, 12:02 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

This is the exact vehicle my wife and I cross shopped before we bought the GS. At the end of the day, you don't get enough and you still paid 40k for a camry.

Biggest things lacking for us in all the packages our dealer was willing to provide us:

- memory seats
- power passenger seat
- overall comfort
- overall fit and finish

When we told them that this is what we found lacking, they immediately shifted our focus to an Avalon where we would get all of these things at the same price point as the fully optioned V6 camry. I had to say no because I'm only 31 and can't drive an avalon at this age, considering my dad is 64 and has not one, but TWO avalons.

So we went to lexus and for 7k less than the camry and avalon I got a used F-Sport that has everything I want and more.

In the end, the camry is just not on the same level with the GS especially considering with all the incentives now you can probably get a new GS for less than 12k more than that particular camry.
Old 11-21-17, 12:34 PM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

If I had to choose, I would take a new Camry over an ES or an Avalon, but sorry there is no comparison to a GS.
Old 11-21-17, 12:36 PM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

Originally Posted by np20412
This is the exact vehicle my wife and I cross shopped before we bought the GS. At the end of the day, you don't get enough and you still paid 40k for a camry.

Biggest things lacking for us in all the packages our dealer was willing to provide us:

- memory seats
- power passenger seat
- overall comfort
- overall fit and finish

When we told them that this is what we found lacking, they immediately shifted our focus to an Avalon where we would get all of these things at the same price point as the fully optioned V6 camry. I had to say no because I'm only 31 and can't drive an avalon at this age, considering my dad is 64 and has not one, but TWO avalons.

So we went to lexus and for 7k less than the camry and avalon I got a used F-Sport that has everything I want and more.

In the end, the camry is just not on the same level with the GS especially considering with all the incentives now you can probably get a new GS for less than 12k more than that particular camry.
yeah that;s what i thought did you get a chance to sit in it or driver it?
Old 11-21-17, 12:38 PM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

Looks wise, I think even the last gen Camry looks better than the GS.
Old 11-21-17, 12:49 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

- memory seats
- power passenger seat
- overall comfort
- overall fit and finish

You make good points. Avalons are really nice though... even though they are considered old people cars, I would still strongly consider one if I was shopping for new only. But I'm sure the handling can't touch the GS, and I'm sure it's also behind the Camry in that regard. For the money, I'd definitely buy a used GS if I was considering used cars. The GS is great.
Old 11-21-17, 12:55 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by lovemyGSFS
yeah that;s what i thought did you get a chance to sit in it or driver it?
We had a chance to sit in the fully optioned v6. It was nice but it still doesn't touch fit and finish of the lexus. Didn't get a chance to drive it tho, as they had literally just taken it off a trailer and were about to prep it so they didn't let us drive it.
Old 11-21-17, 01:10 PM
lovemyGSFS
Pole Position

We had a chance to sit in the fully optioned v6. It was nice but it still doesn't touch fit and finish of the lexus. Didn't get a chance to drive it tho, as they had literally just taken it off a trailer and were about to prep it so they didn't let us drive it.
Thats nice to know
Old 11-21-17, 01:14 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The new Camry, particularly in SE or XSE trim, really catches my eye. I'm seeing more and more of them around and I think they are very sharp!

Originally Posted by Mike552
If I had to choose, I would take a new Camry over an ES or an Avalon, but sorry there is no comparison to a GS.
I would agree with this. I'd have a hard time giving up my GS, but if I had to, I would take the new Camry over an Avalon or an ES.
Old 11-21-17, 03:02 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

It's a nice car both inside and out, my buddy just got one. I wished they skipped the gloss black surfaces on the inside, there's just too much of it and it is a pain to keep clean. Make sure you get the SE/XSE trim unless you like the whale belly grille.

Definitely better than the '18 Accord, better than the Avalon.

Compared to the ES, it has better tech being all-new, but slightly inferior in terms of NVH.

No way I'd trade it with my GS though.
Old 11-21-17, 04:05 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
Looks wise, I think even the last gen Camry looks better than the GS.
What?

Anyways, I must say the new Camry looks pretty damn good and sporty (considering how it was and its history) and if I were looking in that segment it would be the one to get but I wouldn't trade it for my GS. No, I don't think the Camry looks or is better than the GS whatsoever, I wouldn't really even compare them. It's just not up there and more importantly, it is still a FWD which is one of the main reasons why I love the GS
Old 11-21-17, 04:13 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

For comparison...

Old 11-21-17, 04:15 PM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Slash300zx
and more importantly, it is still a FWD which is one of the main reasons why I love the GS
This.

It's so hard to find a reliable, luxurious, well made, sporty sedan with a proper AWD system/RWD. The GS offers everything on that list.
Old 11-21-17, 04:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

I haven't seen one up close yet, or reviewed/test-driven it.....but, from the images, it seems like a nice car, except for two things.....the Typical-Toyota-Ugly grille and the odd-looking asymmetrical swoop to the lower dash, forward of the shifter.

I like the two-tone paint options, though.....more cars today need that. Many manufacturers don't offer it, though, because of cost-cutting.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on the 2018 Camry XSE V6