Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus Enform in canada

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-17, 07:55 AM
Jagnut
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lexus Enform in canada

i was talking to my dealer yesterday and apparently the new NX comes with the Lexus Enform but not the RX. He couldn't explain why that is neither could he confirm that we might be able to get an upgrade on the RX at a later date. I know most RXs around the world have this option except for Canada where they're built. Can someone chime in on this and explain why that is? Is of Canada's communication laws or we just get screwed in Canada as usual?
Old 11-19-17, 08:04 AM
mssca
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I heard the same thing as well. I don't think it has to do with Canadian communications laws. It is just a decision by Lexus/Toyota company. For example, Honda and Acura products in Canada seems to be bit more forward than even their US models (while Toyota always bit more forward in US than in Canada). For example, Honda Civic 2017 models in Canada has adaptive CVT with steering wheel mounted gear pedals which is not available in the same trim level in 2017 US version of Honda Civic.

Last edited by mssca; 11-19-17 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-19-17, 08:08 AM
Jagnut
Driver School Candidate

I would like to know what they based their decision on. It just doesn't seem fair that the remote start for example that's part of the Lexus app is not available on mobile here in Canada. They want $1200 for a remote starter where it'd be available on the app.
Old 11-20-17, 08:53 AM
MisterQ
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagnut
...They want $1200 for a remote starter where it'd be available on the app.
Enform is not available in Canada, however it's not free either, it's a monthly service app.

What really disappointed me is the GPS traffic report is not available for Canada, so I still have to use my phone's google map a lot to see if I need to take alternate routes. A $30K Honda CRV has live traffic report on the GPS but a $70K Lexus RX doesn't , extremely disappointed indeed. Furthermore, the US RX have weather report and Canada doesn't.
Both of these are "free" service, no monthly fee, just not available in Canada.
Old 11-20-17, 12:57 PM
heffnerlex
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

The reason why Lexus Canada is not releasing Enform on the 2018 RX is because they are waiting for the mid-model change in 2019. It would be expensive and a huge hassle to introduce Enform on all 2018 Lexus models. There is a lot more that goes on behind the scenes when making a change like this to a vehicle. This is why they take a few models every year and over the next 3-4 years, they slowly introduce it to the rest of the lineup (big changes like this are typically only added in during a mid-model/major model change). For 2018, the NX, LC, LS, and RC are getting Enform. Next year it will be ES and RX (and possibly other models too). Hopefully by 2020, all Canadian Lexus vehicles will have Enform.
Old 11-20-17, 03:59 PM
Jagnut
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by heffnerlex
The reason why Lexus Canada is not releasing Enform on the 2018 RX is because they are waiting for the mid-model change in 2019. It would be expensive and a huge hassle to introduce Enform on all 2018 Lexus models. There is a lot more that goes on behind the scenes when making a change like this to a vehicle. This is why they take a few models every year and over the next 3-4 years, they slowly introduce it to the rest of the lineup (big changes like this are typically only added in during a mid-model/major model change). For 2018, the NX, LC, LS, and RC are getting Enform. Next year it will be ES and RX (and possibly other models too). Hopefully by 2020, all Canadian Lexus vehicles will have Enform.
what you're saying would be true if non of the RXs around the world didn't get Enform. All US and most other countries around the world have Enform except for Canada. The model change doesn't just happen in Canada, its worldwide.

cheers..
Old 11-20-17, 05:18 PM
mssca
Driver

Originally Posted by heffnerlex
I don't think so because like Jagnut mentioned, they have these features in other countries. It must be something to do with Lexus Canada.
Old 11-20-17, 05:21 PM
mssca
Driver

Originally Posted by MisterQ
Enform is not available in Canada, however it's not free either, it's a monthly service app.

What really disappointed me is the GPS traffic report is not available for Canada, so I still have to use my phone's google map a lot to see if I need to take alternate routes. A $30K Honda CRV has live traffic report on the GPS but a $70K Lexus RX doesn't , extremely disappointed indeed. Furthermore, the US RX have weather report and Canada doesn't.
Both of these are "free" service, no monthly fee, just not available in Canada.
Not only that, my brother's 2017 Honda Civic maps can be updated at home for free for the first five years. Plus the heated seats are actually heated! Unlike my new Lexus 2017 RX heated seats which feels nothing close to heated when it is on full setting. May be mine is broken? But I read here the seats don't get warm at all in 2017 RX. It sucks for Canadian Winter.
Old 11-20-17, 07:50 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

The NX just went through a mid-model change that included a change to the central display screen (a hardware change); there were likely other electronics hardware and software changes. These changes allowed for the release of Enform.

My educated guess is that those electronics changes are necessary for Enform but they have not yet been made for the Canadian market RX. The easiest (and likely cheapest) time to make the necessary electronics changes is during a planned mid-model change, when other changes are planned and made.

Despite the fact that the Canadian model RX looks the same as the American model RX, and despite the fact that they are assembled in the same plant, they may be different under the skin, different enough that it may not be that simple to make the electronics changes necessary to allow for the release of Enform.
Old 11-21-17, 07:38 PM
Jagnut
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mssca
Not only that, my brother's 2017 Honda Civic maps can be updated at home for free for the first five years. Plus the heated seats are actually heated! Unlike my new Lexus 2017 RX heated seats which feels nothing close to heated when it is on full setting. May be mine is broken? But I read here the seats don't get warm at all in 2017 RX. It sucks for Canadian Winter.
Your heated seats in the RX are different than other cars meaning if you have it on Auto, it's directly related to your temperature settings. If you put the heat on hi then the seats get really hot but if you leave the auto climate control around 24-25 the the heated seats will warm up as much as that. It's the smartest heated seats I've seen in any vehicle to date. Most people don't know about this feature.

cheers.
Old 11-21-17, 07:40 PM
Jagnut
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sulu
The NX just went through a mid-model change that included a change to the central display screen (a hardware change); there were likely other electronics hardware and software changes. These changes allowed for the release of Enform.

My educated guess is that those electronics changes are necessary for Enform but they have not yet been made for the Canadian market RX. The easiest (and likely cheapest) time to make the necessary electronics changes is during a planned mid-model change, when other changes are planned and made.

Despite the fact that the Canadian model RX looks the same as the American model RX, and despite the fact that they are assembled in the same plant, they may be different under the skin, different enough that it may not be that simple to make the electronics changes necessary to allow for the release of Enform.

It still diesnt asnswer the question why?. Why don't we get that in Canada when the rest of the world gets it?
Old 11-21-17, 08:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Always wondered why the Canadian spec vehicles do not get the US apps. Wondering if it is because of licencing or something like that.