LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Comfortable Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-17, 08:20 AM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Comfortable Coilovers

Hey guys, I tried searching and couldn’t come up with anything conclusive. Was wondering if I can get some advice.

Its time for for me to lower my 05 LS. Like most, I would like to maintain the comfort of the LS. I tried the Tanabe NF210 paired with the Youzealand brackets but it didn’t satisfy me. For the record, the NF with the brackets maintained a great ride! Very smooth, similar to stock.
I saw pictures of Tein CS cranked all the way down with 20s and it provided the stance I am after. I’ve read nothing but good stuff regarding the CS on the LS, other then some saying they don’t go low enough but I think the drop is good enough for me. However, when I was ready to order the CS, turns out they are discontinued.
another option I have is the BC coilovers. Most ppl suggest the Swift spring upgrade. But what spring rate should I get?
i had the BC on my LS400 and NSX and both felt kinda hard and rough for me. I had the Megan LP on my other LS400 and 2GS and it felt pretty good, but the LP are also discontinued.

not looking to go AIR. Not looking to slam the car on the ground. I’m just looking to get the fenders over my 20” Wheels. And I will not be tracking the car or driving it hard. Just a weekend/family cruiser.

Last edited by yoitskenn; 11-15-17 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-15-17, 10:31 AM
FredrikSWE
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What I have read Tein CS is the way to go if you want to keep the lush ride.

I have BC Coilovers with the original 10/8 springs and its definitely not a harsh ride. If any it actually body rolls to much for my taste, if I knew this I would get some harder springs.
It does not handle a harsh road very well though, but this is common for every cheaper coilover. I just avoid bad roads, we dont actually have many bad roads in sweden anyway.

And one important thing that I also didnt know is that the original BC Coilvers for this car doesnt do Slammed. You need to get Extreme drop for that.

This is mine with coilovers maxed out in back and 20". (Front have plenty of low left)
This stance would bother me to death on another car, but thanks to the big body of LS 430 it actually looks decent anyway.
Old 11-15-17, 10:38 AM
NL5
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

When you installed the bc coilovers, did you have to do any additional changes to get the alignment back in spec?
Old 11-15-17, 11:05 AM
FredrikSWE
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NL5
When you installed the bc coilovers, did you have to do any additional changes to get the alignment back in spec?
Well, when I installed Coilovers I also installed toe arm camber arm and caster arm in the back. But I dont think that is necessary actually but I cant tell because i dont really know. I do know if you go very low the back wheel places nearer to the front instead of centrum. For that you need longer caster arm if you want the wheel more to the center. The Camber of course goes more negative in the back but I dont think that is to much of a issue if you dont really slam it. Toe arm is very handy as its much easier to adjust.

But as I said I never lowered without changing this things so I dont really know.
Old 11-15-17, 11:19 AM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

That is the stance I am after. I’m just hoping the bc with swift springs is somewhat comparable to the Tein CS. The CS are highly recommended but they are discontinued.
Old 11-16-17, 12:08 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

I did not have any luck finding the TEin CS. No vendors have an extra set. I guess I’m gonna try the BC with swift springs. I’m not too familiar with spring rates. Can anyone chime in regarding which route to go for smoothest ride possible.
Old 11-17-17, 12:24 AM
tkblazer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tein cs ran 7k/4K spring rates so you could always go down to 8/6 on the bc set without needing to revalve the dampers. I think most people want stiffer rates when they want to run a really low static ride height
Old 11-17-17, 06:42 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

I just ordered the BC w Swift 10/8. Hopefully they ride smooth and the drop will be sufficient. Trying to get 1/2-1” gap from rear quarters to the top of the rim.
Old 11-17-17, 10:20 PM
PearlUni05
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FredrikSWE
What I have read Tein CS is the way to go if you want to keep the lush ride.

I have BC Coilovers with the original 10/8 springs and its definitely not a harsh ride. If any it actually body rolls to much for my taste, if I knew this I would get some harder springs.
It does not handle a harsh road very well though, but this is common for every cheaper coilover. I just avoid bad roads, we dont actually have many bad roads in sweden anyway.

And one important thing that I also didnt know is that the original BC Coilvers for this car doesnt do Slammed. You need to get Extreme drop for that.

This is mine with coilovers maxed out in back and 20". (Front have plenty of low left)
This stance would bother me to death on another car, but thanks to the big body of LS 430 it actually looks decent anyway.

This stance and wheel set up is sick! I cannot tell that there is a rear fender gap at all. I agree about the rear arm. Even with stock suspension and wheels I can see that the rear wheel does sit closer to the front than center. I always thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. What arms did you get to make the wheels sit more to the center?
Originally Posted by yoitskenn
I just ordered the BC w Swift 10/8. Hopefully they ride smooth and the drop will be sufficient. Trying to get 1/2-1” gap from rear quarters to the top of the rim.
Let us know how the ride is and post some pics of your set up. I want to eventually get coil overs as I don't want to "bag" it. But I am trying my best to keep this car stock and just enjoy the ride. But coils and some 20s keep calling me ;-(
Old 11-18-17, 07:21 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

That setup looks awesome! I have Megan EZ's and they don't even go that low in the rear. They ride smooth but my rears have a big fender gap.

My sister has BC Extreme Drops on her LS and they ride pretty good. She runs 14kg front and 12kg rear coilovers. The car at it's highest setting is still slammed though.
Old 11-18-17, 07:28 AM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Any pic of your sisters LS at its highest point.
Old 11-19-17, 07:50 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by yoitskenn
Any pic of your sisters LS at its highest point.
I need to find a picture of it. It sits really low though. I'm not sure I want my car that low.
Old 11-19-17, 08:07 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Please let us know if there is such a setup, i.e ."comfortable."

On my BMW I plan on getting these--the dealer wants $1,400 for 2 rear shocks alone. An indie would charge $380 to install coilovers, so add low $900's and a superior setup all 4 corners is in, for the price of OE rears. Wish such a thing existed on our LS'.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...EaAhMbEALw_wcB
Old 11-19-17, 10:55 AM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Please let us know if there is such a setup, i.e ."comfortable."

On my BMW I plan on getting these--the dealer wants $1,400 for 2 rear shocks alone. An indie would charge $380 to install coilovers, so add low $900's and a superior setup all 4 corners is in, for the price of OE rears. Wish such a thing existed on our LS'.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...EaAhMbEALw_wcB
there is such a thing....it’s the TEin CS (comfort Series) unfortunately they are discontinued.
Old 11-19-17, 03:34 PM
tkblazer
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like you can custom order a set of cs if you are willing to wait a few months

https://www.tein.co.jp/e/products/comfort_sport.php

Quick Reply: Comfortable Coilovers