IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Lower Control Arm Bushings...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-17, 04:30 PM
seanmwple
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lower Control Arm Bushings...

I cant find the post on here anymore but I was inquiring about replacement lower control arm bushings for 2012 Lexus is 250 and someone told me a good replacement.... Anyone have any recommendations?
Old 11-07-17, 04:55 PM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

Rrracing , figs.
Old 11-08-17, 06:53 AM
seanmwple
Intermediate

http://www.rr-racing.com/Lexus-Lower...isfxlca001.htm

The ones I was told about were like $180 I believe... hmm
Old 11-08-17, 01:21 PM
olsen_karl
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a long thread here on aftermarket lower control arm bushings:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...uro-hp-11.html

I had some excessive front inner tire shoulder wear on my 2011 IS 350 AWD, and was looking into replacement bushings. I decided to try the stock Lexus bushings for the RC-F, which some here were using and said they were satisfied with the tire wear improvement + handling upgrade. Plus, they are a lot cheaper than the aftermarket ones. I've had the RC-F stock bushings on for around a year now, and am happy enough. The front inner tire wear isn't completely gone, but it's a lot better. Ride and handling got a little stiffer, but not what I would consider harsh at all.
The following 2 users liked this post by olsen_karl:
06IS2fitty (08-26-20), GrizzlyMan (05-10-21)
Old 11-08-17, 04:12 PM
seanmwple
Intermediate

I think this is exactly what I was looking for. I couldnt remember if it was RC-F or IS-F though. Theyll work on a 2012 IS 250 RWD thought I am pretty sure? My major issue is control, loose steering, swaying, drifting, following the road, pulling hard etc. Swapped tires twice, 2 alignments, nothing has fully fixed it so this was the last thing I was recommended to try.

Originally Posted by olsen_karl

I had some excessive front inner tire shoulder wear on my 2011 IS 350 AWD, and was looking into replacement bushings. I decided to try the stock Lexus bushings for the RC-F, which some here were using and said they were satisfied with the tire wear improvement + handling upgrade. Plus, they are a lot cheaper than the aftermarket ones. I've had the RC-F stock bushings on for around a year now, and am happy enough. The front inner tire wear isn't completely gone, but it's a lot better. Ride and handling got a little stiffer, but not what I would consider harsh at all.
Old 11-09-17, 06:16 AM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by seanmwple
I think this is exactly what I was looking for. I couldnt remember if it was RC-F or IS-F though. Theyll work on a 2012 IS 250 RWD thought I am pretty sure? My major issue is control, loose steering, swaying, drifting, following the road, pulling hard etc. Swapped tires twice, 2 alignments, nothing has fully fixed it so this was the last thing I was recommended to try.
2IS platform shares the same LCA bushing design. Were you talking about this for your $170 replacement? http://www.shopfigs.com/v3/CAT-LEXUS...LCA-SP3491K-90. FIGS recently promoted a sale on their bushings since you probably missed the RR Racing Group Buy https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...tire-wear.html
Old 11-09-17, 10:07 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,482 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Slightly O/T but does anyone know the inner and outer diameter of the OEM shell and the lower control arm pivot?

Poly bushings should not cost $3xx! Talk about a racket!
I have access to a lathe and making a set with a thrust surface in 80 or 90 durometer is definitely possible. Short of greasing it every so often to prevent squeaks, thats the only real hardship here.
Old 11-09-17, 11:45 PM
andper10
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013FSport
Slightly O/T but does anyone know the inner and outer diameter of the OEM shell and the lower control arm pivot?

Poly bushings should not cost $3xx! Talk about a racket!
I have access to a lathe and making a set with a thrust surface in 80 or 90 durometer is definitely possible. Short of greasing it every so often to prevent squeaks, thats the only real hardship here.
Guess I can measure for you when I uninstall/reinstall my Figs bushings yet again to re-grease them soon since they started squeaking again on cold days. They do their job but were advertised as never requiring lubrication due to the cross hatching...wouldn't have bought them if I knew they had to be removed/reinstalled yearly. I wonder if RR Racing LCA bushings suffer from the same issue.

The price includes the cost of two brackets and labor to press the bushings into them. If you have your own shop press you can buy them cheaper without the brackets and reuse your stock brackets:

http://www.shopfigs.com/v3/SUSPENSION-CHASSIS/LEXUS%20bushing/cat-is-bushings/G2ISHP-FRLCA-SP3491K-90

Last edited by andper10; 11-09-17 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-10-17, 11:07 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

I know the squeek well from previous vehicles fitted with poly. I broke down and drilled holes through the shell to the core and used a rotary file on the poly to make a circular ring so grease would flow 360°. Because this has a load bearing lip (thrust surface) your feed cut into the bushing needs to branch out there too. Just don't cut the grove to the edge as it lets water in too easy. Then tap the outer hole for grease zerk and pump it full of silicone lube. Usually lasted about 6 to 8mo. Hope its worth it.

Let me know if you need more detail but silicone grease forced in under pressure does the trick and there doesnt have to be much of a grove. Make sense?

And thanks in advance!!
Old 11-10-17, 05:44 PM
primavera
Instructor

Received 302 Likes on 256 Posts

I know the squeek well from previous vehicles fitted with poly. I broke down and drilled holes through the shell to the core and used a rotary file on the poly to make a circular ring so grease would flow 360°. Because this has a load bearing lip (thrust surface) your feed cut into the bushing needs to branch out there too. Just don't cut the grove to the edge as it lets water in too easy. Then tap the outer hole for grease zerk and pump it full of silicone lube. Usually lasted about 6 to 8mo. Hope its worth it.

Let me know if you need more detail but silicone grease forced in under pressure does the trick and there doesnt have to be much of a grove. Make sense?

And thanks in advance!!
Or you can install RC-F bushings for the fraction of the polyurethane and never ever deal with this.
Old 10-21-18, 06:51 AM
zguy57
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by primavera
Or you can install RC-F bushings for the fraction of the polyurethane and never ever deal with this.
Hey there, I know this is an old thread but I wanted to check with you on how your tires are holding up with the RCF bushings. I got RRs bushings and I'm looking to go back to oem style, asap. Roads are just too rough where I am for poly altogether I think. Increased NVH plus the possibility of having to lube bushings every year...no thank you. Has anyone confirmed that the RC bushings actually are harder than the ISFs? Input greatly appreciated!

Edit: I have an 08 IS350 by the way.
Old 10-21-18, 08:16 AM
hoser813
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by olsen_karl

Do you remember which part number you used? When I search for the RC-F LCA bushing and bracket, there are a couple different sizes (offsets) listed. Take a look at all the item 9's listed for that bracket:

Old 10-21-18, 08:52 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

^^ Unless you you know what the factory ones are in your car it doesn't matter (they could be zero or combination of all three). The offset from zero (no offset) changes the caster a small amount. That said just buy the zero ones.
Old 10-21-18, 09:10 AM
zguy57
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

^^ Unless you you know what the factory ones are in your car it doesn't matter (they could be zero or combination of all three). The offset from zero (no offset) changes the caster a small amount. That said just buy the zero ones.
How are your tires holding up for you? I feel the need to just add that I am in no way bashing RRs product. I think poly altogether is going to be too hard for the roads here. And, the car has 120k so there could very well be another issue that the soft bushings is covering up. That said, for now I want to go back to a softer bushing, even if it has a little tire wear as long as it's better than the 350 ones it will do for now.
Old 10-21-18, 11:21 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

I'm running IS-F take offs and getting even wear across the tire. That said the scrub from turning sharp is taking a toll on the edges but nothing drastic. I've got the toe and pressure pretty ideal for how the car is used. The rear tires could go first at this rate!

Order the RC-F parts for maintenance free DD....

If I ever do go poly they will have grease fitting installed. It's silly to have to pull it apart to lube the dang things. Heck they should have it that way anyway.

Quick Reply: Lower Control Arm Bushings...