Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Despite low sales, Buick LaCrosse Avenir is coming.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-17, 08:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Despite low sales, Buick LaCrosse Avenir is coming.

Despite low sales, raging popularity of SUVs, and an unsold inventory of more than 204 days on hand, (and the fact that it has not yet been announced publically) Buick appears to on the verge of expanding its Avenir-spec line-up from the Enclave to include the Lacrosse as well. The LaCrosse will get the nice genuine wood steering wheel, expanded interior colors, Avenir-exclusive wheels, interior-stitching, trim, and other details.

Do I wish I had waited and ordered an Avenir? Nope.....satisfied with what I got (and with what I spent), although the wood steering wheel would have been nice, as the Lacrosse's rather cheap-looking steering column could use some dressing up like on the Lincoln MKZ and Lexus ES350.

Buick has not released detailed pictures of the Lacrosse Avenir's interior, but it will probably be quite similar to that of the Enclave's, with some differences on the upper-dash and console.

Article by Christian A., on November 3, 2017

It looks like Buick’s luxury sub-brand Avenir is all poised to give birth to a new member in 2018. Buick will be adding the LaCrosse into its Avenir lineup next year, according to documents filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Admission, as dug up by GM Inside News.

Presently, the Buick LaCrosse has become a victim of the crumbling full-size sedan market. In fact, with a 204-day supply of inventory, the Buick flagship sedan has shown its weakness – low sales. But things may change if Buick would create a premium luxury version of its flagship sedan and have it don the Avenir badge. Buick is hoping that once the LaCrosse in the luxury car market, the destiny of its low-selling full-size sedan might cross to the greener pasture.

Buick or GM hasn’t confirmed it, but the LaCrosse Avenir was definitely included in GM’s 2018 Vehicle Identification Number Decoder revised and submitted to the NHTSA in September. As indicated in these documents discovered by GM Inside News – in particular in the VIN’s fifth position – Buick is planning to offer two configurations of the LaCrosse Avenir – front-wheel and all-wheel drive. It is expected that the new Buick will be powered by exclusively with the current 3.6-liter V6 engine as mated to GM’s nine-speed automatic gearbox.

As for the design of the new LaCrosse Avenir, this premium full-size sedan is expected to feature a number of styling cues more or less similar to those found in the new Buick Enclave Avenir. For instance, the front and rear ends of the LaCrosse Avenir may feature Buick’s new Evonik Acrylite LED lighting system. These LED units would be complemented on the front by a new 3D grille flanked by Avista-style chrome wings. Furthermore, the LaCrosse Avenir would also ride on Avenir exclusive wheels.

The interior of the new LaCrosse Avenir would also benefit from an array of new colors, contrast stitching and accent piping. It is expected to feature a wood-trimmed steering wheel, embroidered front headrests as well as Avenir branded door sills.

It is also expected that the upcoming LaCrosse Avenir would also be laden with a wide array of safety and technological features currently featured on the Enclave Avenir. Safety features would include a 360-degree surround vision, adaptive cruise control, forward automatic braking, lane keep and departure pedestrian baking as well as rear cross traffic alert and a vibrating safety seat. Technological features, on the other hand, would include an eight-inch infotainment screen with navigation, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, OnStar 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot as well as wireless charging. A rear camera mirror technology from GM is also expected to be fitted in the new LaCrosse Avenir.

The Avenir version of the Enclave is priced around $5,400 price higher than the Premium trim. This may mean that the new LaCrosse Avenir would have a starting price of more than $45,000.
Old 11-07-17, 05:19 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

This new Lacrosse is not doing very well in sales. Its perplexing as new model vehicles usually do not sell as poorly as this. Real wood should of been standard on this line of Buicks. Although I really don't have a problem with faux wood, it's a bit of an insult that one has to pay extra for real wood. Same with the faux leather.

Either Buick is going to start importing the Lacrosse from China, or they will just close the factory in the US and not sell it.
Old 11-07-17, 05:30 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I think General Motors needs or needed some new powerplants, jmo. Repackaging old designs just seems like an old way to do things. If we consider Cadillac the flagship, it just doesn't seem as if they did a good job with them. I dealt with Buick GMC in purchasing my used LS430 (I often wonder if folks who could afford them new, got a decade older, and wanted to buy American, or if Buick GMC goes to auction and then resells LS430's, because you see this more than a few times), and had some candid conversations with the svc. mgr. One of them were he was saying it's 2016 (at the time) and I'm still telling customers they can choose from good/better/best, with 3 prices. When they ask me what's the difference, what the **** am I supposed to say? They're *** **** ****** ***** for pete's sake! (radio edit)
Old 11-07-17, 06:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
If we consider Cadillac the flagship, it just doesn't seem as if they did a good job with them.
I think they do OK. Cadillac went to RWD and nobody really cares in the US. But GM is really targeting the China market now. Its still a shame that GM exports the CT6 hybrid from China to the US market.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-07-17 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-07-17, 06:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
This new Lacrosse is not doing very well in sales. Its perplexing as new model vehicles usually do not sell as poorly as this. Real wood should of been standard on this line of Buicks. Although I really don't have a problem with faux wood, it's a bit of an insult that one has to pay extra for real wood. Same with the faux leather.

Either Buick is going to start importing the Lacrosse from China, or they will just close the factory in the US and not sell it.
The Lacrosse, like a number of other sedans, has clearly become a victim of explosive American-market SUV sales. In addition, though they were ultimately not deal-breakers for me in my case, the quirky E-shifter and lack of a shut-off switch for the engine start/stop system has clearly depressed even more sales. With this type of car, you (usually) aren't selling it, brand-new, to today's 20-year-olds, who find complex electronics and video-screens easy to deal with. I had a big Buick, of course, at that age, and loved it......but that was back in a far different era, when vehicle controls and systems were relatively simple, and you didn't scroll through complex menus. The automakers do not seem to have learned that lesson......these depressed sales figures might do some teaching, though.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-07-17 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-07-17, 06:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I think they do OK. Cadillac went to RWD and nobody really cares in the US.
That's because Cadillac, especially the sedans, is now considered a relatively sport-oriented brand, in competition with BMW and, to a lesser extent, with Mercedes. The Lacrosse is the car that gets (or should be getting, if it wasn't for explosive SUV sales, the E-shifter and non-defeatable stop/start system) the former Cadillac DeVille/DTS crowd.

But GM is really targeting the China market now. Its still a shame that GM exports the CT6 hybrid from China to the US market.
Don't want to get too far off-topic, but Trump still hasn't gotten that 35% import-tariff he wants on U.S.-branded vehicles sold here but built abroad, in foreign plants. Just watch what happens to sales if that gets passed.
Old 11-07-17, 06:46 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

If the Buick division goes through with it, it's probably worth a shot to try and stimulate stagnant sales. The main risk will be the price point. If it starts at $45k, with options, a LaCrosse would be pushing $50k which would put it in competition with some arguably more desirable brands/models. As mentioned, this trim level might have more appeal in the Chinese market which makes sense.
Old 11-07-17, 06:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
If the Buick division goes through with it, it's probably worth a shot to try and stimulate stagnant sales. The main risk will be the price point. If it starts at $45k, with options, a LaCrosse would be pushing $50k which would put it in competition with some arguably more desirable brands/models. As mentioned, this trim level might have more appeal in the Chinese market which makes sense.
Yes, you can bet that Avenir models, list, will be pushing 50K or above. But I don't agree that the appeal would necessarily be limited to the Chinese. Put in GM's conventional shifter, toss out that quirky E-stick, and add a shut-off button for the stop/start electronics, and there is no reason this car would not capture a big chunk of the former DTS crowd, right here at home.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-07-17 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-07-17, 07:01 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

I saw the new Enclave the other day, and it looked at least to me diminutive and the styling not great (I thought the portholes were symbolic of Buick, I didn't see any?)....I would not bank on the future of GM. I liked Buick and Olds at one time, today it reminds me of a film with Jane Fonda, "They shoot horses, don't they?" I'm a fan but have my limits too...
Old 11-07-17, 07:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I saw the new Enclave the other day, and it looked at least to me diminutive and the styling not great (I thought the portholes were symbolic of Buick, I didn't see any?)....I would not bank on the future of GM. I liked Buick and Olds at one time, today it reminds me of a film with Jane Fonda, "They shoot horses, don't they?" I'm a fan but have my limits too...

No, they dropped the portholes on the new Enclave. Like you, I liked them, myself, though some of the last-generation Buick sedans had them mounted on the hood, facing up, which IMO looked awkward.

I won't even discuss Jane Fonda....but for reasons which have nothing to do with this thread.
Old 11-07-17, 07:10 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, you can bet that Avenir models, list, will be pushing 50K or above. But I don't agree that the appeal would necessarily be limited to the Chinese. Put in GM's conventional shifter, toss out that quirky E-stick, and add a shut-off button for the stop/start electronics, and there is no reason this car would not capture a big chunk of the former DTS crowd, right here at home.
Removing those items MIGHT stimulate some sales but I don't see that happening. If GM wants to widen the appeal of the Lacrosse it seems like they'll be adding features (good or bad) vs. removing them
Old 11-07-17, 07:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Removing those items MIGHT stimulate some sales but I don't see that happening. If GM wants to widen the appeal of the Lacrosse it seems like they'll be adding features (good or bad) vs. removing them

Well, they just DID add one feature (the subject of this thread).....the Avenir trim level.
Old 11-07-17, 07:29 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, they just DID add one feature (the subject of this thread).....the Avenir trim level.
That's a start but my point was it would be counter intuitive to add the new trim level with a $45k starting price AND at the same time remove/delete other features at the same time. Seems like it just ain't gonna happen.
Old 11-07-17, 01:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

LOL. Didn't know the porthole was gone

I agree. Most people would just go for be higher brand like a BMW or MB.
Old 11-07-17, 05:11 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

LOL. Didn't know the porthole was gone
You've read the new Enclave reviews, haven't you? That is one of the first things they mention. Anyhow, on the new 2018 Enclave, this spear-like design is what replaces the traditional fender-portholes. My guess is that we'll also see it on other Buicks, as the company moves further and further away from tradition.

The Cascada convertible you like, BTW, doesn't have any portholes, either. Buick converted the European Opel version to the U.S. market in the cheapest way possible.....American-spec'd it on the gauges, gave it different paint colors, swapped the Opel-badges for tri-shields, hung a price tag on it, and...Voila.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-07-17 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Despite low sales, Buick LaCrosse Avenir is coming.